Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company handbook is updating - what if I don't agree?

Options
  • 24-04-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If a company handbook is to be updated and terms changed that were agreed upon signing the employment contract what happens if you don't agree with the new terms of the handbook? Specifically does one supercede another? Acknowledgement is being requested that the new terms were read and understood?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would ask those questions of HR. Acknowledgement and understanding of the handbook doesn't signify acceptance. What is the change, if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Minimum notice is different in the new handbook but the email did say no core terms of contract are being changed. I'll get in touch with HR just for clarification thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Your notice period will be dictated by what's in your employment contract, regardless of that the current handbook may say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

skallywag wrote: »
    Your notice period will be dictated by what's in your employment contract, regardless of that the current handbook may say.

What happens if the contract doesn't state a notice period and says to consult the handbook for details of the notice period.

What happens if the contract doesn't state a notice period and says to consult the handbook for details of the notice period.

It would relate to the version of the handbook which was in use at the time of the contact being signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

The contract did state a time period but didn't relate to different notices for different lengths of employment. Obviously I'm not planning on leaving my job but for future reference. Waiting on a reply now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

ooo...be mighty careful of this.

I would not accept a change to employment contract of notice period. You agreed it on the way in. Thats what you signed up to.

However that said, if you've been promoted to a more senior role, then you may be required to have a longer notice period. But in this case a promotion entails increased payment for this increased seniority.

Arbitrarily changing the notice period is not allowed. Just like a company deciding it wants to reduce your salary. Also not allowed. You have a contract.

In any case, increasing your notice period just makes it more difficult for you to move jobs in the future should you want to. If a potential employer is faced with two similar options -you & 2months notice vs another 1months notice, chances are they taking the 1 months notice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If the handbook refers more to work practices than terms of employment, then they don't need your consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

daheff wrote: »
    Arbitrarily changing the notice period is not allowed. Just like a company deciding it wants to reduce your salary. Also not allowed. You have a contract.
    Of course it's allowed if there is agreement all round.

If you want to stand out and make an issue of it, the that's your choice. It's not likely to improve your promotion prospects however.

cml387 wrote: »
    Of course it's allowed if there is agreement all round.
    yes if there is agreement....thats why i said not allowed arbitrarily

Doesnt seem to be that the OP is agreeing to the change...so its not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

yes if there is agreement....thats why i said not allowed arbitrarily

Doesnt seem to be that the OP is agreeing to the change...so its not allowed.

What if there is a collective agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

During the recession, my company reduced my salary, i didnt have any choice, it was that simple, take it or leave!!! I dont believe a company cant reduce your salary if it has legitimate reason...but open to correction?!

mel123 wrote: »
    During the recession, my company reduced my salary, i didnt have any choice, it was that simple, take it or leave!!!

I would imagine that you needed to sign a document to confirm that you accepted this reduction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

I would imagine that you needed to sign a document to confirm that you accepted this reduction?

You could be right, i dont remember now

You could be right, i dont remember now

I am almost certain that this would have been necessary, your salary cannot be cut without you agreeing to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am almost certain that this would have been necessary, your salary cannot be cut without you agreeing to it.

You agree to it or get let go. Suggesting you have a choice in the matter really doesnt fly.

godtabh wrote: »
    You agree to it or get let go. Suggesting you have a choice in the matter really doesnt fly.

I've had a team member who refused to play ball and would not accept the reduction, with no action being taken against the employee. It certainly can be done if you are only interested in the here and now and have no mid to long term prospects with the company.

What if there is a collective agreement?
    Then there is agreement.
    During the recession, my company reduced my salary, i didnt have any choice, it was that simple, take it or leave!!! I dont believe a company cant reduce your salary if it has legitimate reason...but open to correction?!

so you agreed to taking a pay cut...you'd have to have signed a document. Your choice was redundancy or pay cut. Whether they would have gone through with the redundancy if you refused is a different matter.
    I've had a team member who refused to play ball and would not accept the reduction, with no action being taken against the employee. It certainly can be done if you are only interested in the here and now and have no mid to long term prospects with the company.

Fair play to the employee realising they don't have to accept a pay cut. I'm guessing that they would have been due a good payout if the company had let them go. Sometimes the company asks and doesnt expect the employee to accept.

Fair play to the employee realising they don't have to accept a pay cut. I'm guessing that they would have been due a good payout if the company had let them go. Sometimes the company asks and doesnt expect the employee to accept.

It certainly takes a fair amount of gumption to knock a pay-cut request back, and it would certainly have been very difficult to let the employee go under the circumstances. That said this employee will be going nowhere fast within the same organisation. When pay-cuts are being requested then times tend to be pretty desperate. If everyone took this attitude then you could very likely be looking at letting people go.

Advertisement