Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre To The Home Fair Usage Policy?

• 24-04-2017 12:40pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just enquiring about Eir's Fibre To The Home service and monthly usage allowance. 

I know that Eir Fibre which is up to 100 meg Fibre To The Cabinet has an unlimited fair usage policy of 1tb of data per month.

However, I noticed that the Eir Fibre Extreme page is now changed on the Eir website to this https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

It states that the usage is truly unlimited with 'absolutely no usage limits'. The myeir facility also states everywhere that it is unlimited. Is this true, can you download past 1 tb per month and not risk getting excess charges on Fibre To The Home, is the service truly unlimited for all FTTH customers?

many thanks!

Gonzo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Gonzo,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Our unlimited package has a fair usage policy of 1TB per months as per our terms and conditions.

You can read more about this here.

I apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi Gonzo,

Our unlimited package has a fair usage policy of 1TB per months as per our terms and conditions.

You can read more about this here.

I apologise for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Cheers, thanks Anna!

No problem :D

Thanks,
    Anna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sorry Anna, I just after reading through that document and could not find any information about the fair usage policy or excess charges.

The reason I'm so confused is that on the https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ page, this  seems to be a new page which replaced the 'Eir fibre Extreme' page and appeared over the weekend.  It states that the service is unlimited with 'absolutely no usage limits' and has the unlimited icon above it!.

Are all Fibre To The home 150, 300 and 1000 plans part of the 1tb fair usage policy or is the 1000 plan now completely unrestricted data usage? Just wondering if the terms have changed over the weekend, the website leads me to believe it has.

just to add, the description of the 150, 300 and 1000 plans has also changed.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

The 150 and 300 says [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Unlimited Extreme Fibre broadband.[/font]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]The 1000 now says [/font][font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Unlimited Extreme Fibre broadband. Ireland's fastest broadband with unlimited usage[/font]

This leads me to believe that the 1000 plan is completely unrestricted allowance while the 150 and 300 may still be part of the 1tb fair usage policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Without trying to hijack this thread, and seeing as eir is making such great advancements as a company and with broadband in this country, if the FUP does in fact apply to the FTTH product, can you please stop using such strong words on your website as "absolutely no usage limits" when it simply isn't true. Saying it's "unlimited" is bad enough in the first place, without reiterating the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hopefully the limit has gone and the documents are just in the process of being updated. 

It is dubious enough to sell a product and claim that it offers "unlimited downloads", and then double down on that promise by saying "absolutely no usage limits" on the website. And then sneak it into the terms and conditions that there is a download limit you can hit in 2 hours of downloading. 

It is a shame because it is the best product on the market at the moment, and something so silly like this is really taking the shine off it and making the company look bad, it is such an easy PR win as 99% of the people will never get near 1tb a month.  

Gonzo wrote: »
    sorry Anna, I just after reading through that document and could not find any information about the fair usage policy or excess charges.

The reason I'm so confused is that on the https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ page, this  seems to be a new page which replaced the 'Eir fibre Extreme' page and appeared over the weekend.  It states that the service is unlimited with 'absolutely no usage limits' and has the unlimited icon above it!.

Are all Fibre To The home 150, 300 and 1000 plans part of the 1tb fair usage policy or is the 1000 plan now completely unrestricted data usage? Just wondering if the terms have changed over the weekend, the website leads me to believe it has.
    I do apologise for any confusion caused. 

I have sent this off to the relevant department to query this and will update you as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,
    Anna

I have sent this off to the relevant department to query this and will update you as soon as I hear back.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Thanks Anna, looking forward to the reply!

No problem at all :D

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    Anna
    I have been advised that the fair usage policy of 1TB still stand to these packages.

You can view more about this on our community page here.

I have flagged this on the website with the relevant department and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
    Anna

Thanks,
    Anna
    I have been advised that the fair usage policy of 1TB still stand to these packages.

I have flagged this on the website with the relevant department and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Thanks Anna, I figured that all plans probably still do have the 1tb per month data allowance, however the wording should probably change on the website as it appears to offer fully unlimited data and customers could easily go above 1tb without realizing they are breaking a fair usage policy, this would be very easy to happen with Fibre To The Home speeds.

If Eir ever plan to release a truly unlimited data plan with no data limits, I would be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

westnet.ie provide truly unlimited data FTTH unlike Eir who claim this on their website but bury 1TB cap deep in small print terms and conditions.

Eir get your act together. FTTH to home is great but imposing 1TB usuage on speeds up to 1000mb is is not aligned right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Hopefully the limit has gone and the documents are just in the process of being updated. 

It is dubious enough to sell a product and claim that it offers "unlimited downloads", and then double down on that promise by saying "absolutely no usage limits" on the website. And then sneak it into the terms and conditions that there is a download limit you can hit in 2 hours of downloading. 

It is a shame because it is the best product on the market at the moment, and something so silly like this is really taking the shine off it and making the company look bad, it is such an easy PR win as 99% of the people will never get near 1tb a month.  
    I couldn't find that wording but if that is the case and the 1TB a month FUP hasn't been updated to reflect what this would mean for such a package, then I would say this is a case for the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland to investigate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

KeRbDoG wrote: »

I couldn't find that wording but if that is the case and the 1TB a month FUP hasn't been updated to reflect what this would mean for such a package, then I would say this is a case for the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland to investigate
    The ASAI have already ruled against Eir in this regard - not that Eir are known to comply with advertising standards as the ruling wasn't the first against Eir!!!

http://www.asai.ie/complaint/telecommunications-47/
    Conclusion:
    [font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]The Complaints Committee considered the detail of the complaint and the advertisers’ response. [/font]

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]The Committee reminded eir of previous adjudications in which they had ruled that when there was a fair usage policy in place, customers should be informed of its existence and be able to access it easily.[/font]

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]A link should exist between the headline ‘unlimited’ claim and the reference to the Fair Usage Policy (FUP).[/font]

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]In this case, the Committee noted that the advertisement had appeared on a search engine website and linked directly to the eir bundle page and that a customer would have been required to agree to the purchase terms and conditions, including reference to the fair usage policy, in advance of making their purchase.[/font]

[font=HelveticaNeue, "Helvetica Neue", Arial, sans-serif]The Committee considered that the advertisement should have included a reference to the fact that a FUP existed in the advertisement and that the landing page of the eir website should have included details of the FUP in question.[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If we can get TRULY unlimited (or even 2TB FUP) I'd gladly pay the extra for 1Gb. 
    That's 144 extra a year from me alone for an allowance that I will probably not even use often.

Please see sense and stop confusing people

I would echo the above. Why you don't offer an actually unlimited package I do not know. Any 1 Gb connection should come with at minimum a 10 TB FUP, but unlimited in the literal sense would be even better, because anyone willing to pay for a 1 Gb connection uses a lot of bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sytax Error

I would echo the above. Why you don't offer an actually unlimited package I do not know. Any 1 Gb connection should come with at minimum a 10 TB FUP, but unlimited in the literal sense would be even better, because anyone willing to pay for a 1 Gb connection uses a lot of bandwidth.

Ditto.

And booo to eir
    Spoiling all the potential fun!

Make it clear like this:
    https://www.att.com/esupport/data-calculator/index.jsp

long_b wrote: »
    If we can get TRULY unlimited (or even 2TB FUP) I'd gladly pay the extra for 1Gb. 
    That's 144 extra a year from me alone for an allowance that I will probably not even use often.

Please see sense and stop confusing people
    A truly unlimited plan would be a huge relief. It doesn't make sense that someone on basic ADSL has the same FUP as someone on Fibre To The Home. The usage patterns are completely different. On FTTH, streaming services such as Netflix and Youtube use far more bandwidth because everything is streamed in 1080p HD as opposed to 480p/720p on slower connections, about 3 gigs per hour per TV Show. If there are 3 people in a household all streaming netflix at same time that rises to 9 gigs per hour.

With a 1tb FUP, I check my data daily so that I can plan ahead so that I do not exceed my usage, I would be really upset if I went over and had to pay excess charges, but at the same time would be more than happy to pay extra for a bigger FUP, but preferably a truely unlimited plan.

Eir's FTTH network is incredible, I am really happy with the speeds, pings and quality of the network and I think it would make alot of sense if there was 1 plan where it would include true unlimited.  Currently I am paying for the 300mb standalone FTTH, but if the 1000mb plan offered proper unlimited, I would be more than happy to pay an extra 12 euros per month for that privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭overtime

fully agree with Gonzo and if you take Netflix as an example you would hit the limit with 4.7hrs a day viewing at 4K resolution (7GB per hour) - not that hard with 5 people in the household

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Any comments to above Eir?

Thanks,
    Anna

Thanks,
    Anna
    Thanks Anna, I figured that all plans probably still do have the 1tb per month data allowance, however the wording should probably change on the website as it appears to offer fully unlimited data and customers could easily go above 1tb without realizing they are breaking a fair usage policy, this would be very easy to happen with Fibre To The Home speeds.

If Eir ever plan to release a truly unlimited data plan with no data limits, I would be interested.
    I completely understand where you are coming from Gonzo and I can assure you this has been flagged with the relevant department to investigate.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I completely understand where you are coming from Gonzo and I can assure you this has been flagged with the relevant department to investigate.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi Anna,

I do hope you're flagging that people aren't happy with the low FUP given the speed and not just that the website is misleading?

Many thanks

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi Anna,

I do hope you're flagging that people aren't happy with the  low FUP given the speed and not just that the website is  misleading?

Many thanks
    Hi long_b,

This has been flagged and will be looked into internally.

I do apologise.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭overtime

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi Anna,

I do hope you're flagging that people aren't happy with the  low FUP given the speed and not just that the website is  misleading?

Many thanks
    Hi long_b,

This has been flagged and will be looked into internally.

I do apologise.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Any update on this yet?

Unfortunately, this will be looked into internally in regards to the fair usage policy.

We would be unable to advise any further on this from here.

We have sent all feedback on in regards to this.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Ok, so I got the 1000mb package.

i run a Video and Audio editing business from my home as a second stream of income. I previously was with Virgin Media on their 360mb package and regularly had very large monthly upload and download patterns.

I EXPLAINED THIS TO THE AGENT WHEN I BOUGHT IT (NEVER INFORMED OF A FUP)

Presently I am on month 2 which means that I am availing of the discounted part of my plan. I recently sail over the 1000mb usage quota (NEVER INFORMED OF A FUP). The bill I got will simply put me out of business.

I read all the advertisement that said UNLIMITED.

The usage is calculated in a COMBINED UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD, with my business on the upload alone I am going to be screwed.

I left Virgin for 2 reasons, speed, but primarily to support Irish, and here I am being rolled over and done from behind. 

I am intending to visit the office of the Minister for Communications this morning https://denisnaughten.ie/contact/ in order to raise this issue on the following grounds

1 . Grossly misleading advertising
    2.  Unfair business practices (in relation to manner of which it was sold to me on the phone - ie. never informed of a 1000mb limit)
    3.  Price gouging

It is simply time that EIR take their heard out of their arses and realize that in the real world, people have real-world usage requirements, and cut out this sharp practice.

I shall also be engaging my solicitor later today in order to have me released from my contract, As of yesterday, I have made a copy of ALL OF MY PHONECALLS TO EIR (WHICH I RECORDED) TO HIM.

EIR YOU NEED TO REALISE THAT HONESTY IN YOUR SALES PROCESS IN RELATION TO THIS MATTER IS AS SCARCE AS HOBBYHORSES ****E.

I sooooooo look forward to returning to Virgin Media

Rory

I have made a copy of ALL OF MY PHONECALLS TO EIR (WHICH I RECORDED) TO HIM.
    You won't have much of a leg to stand on if you didn't inform the eir salesperson they were being recorded and they agreed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

You won't have much of a leg to stand on if you didn't inform the eir salesperson they were being recorded and they agreed to it.

Of course you can record them. It's your conversation too.
    There is a hugely common misconception that you can't record conversations. You can. Nothing to stop you.

Anyway you informed them while the phone was ringing. Just like that's how they informed you. :)

• Advertisement

__..__ wrote: »

Of course you can record them.  It's your conversation too.
    There is a hugely common misconception that you can't record conversations.  You can.  Nothing to stop you.

Anyway you informed them while the phone was ringing.  Just like that's how they informed you.  :)
    Thanks, I didn't realise the legislation was amended in 1993. Ignore me!

Advertisement