Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling affordable council house?

Options
  • 24-04-2017 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi has anyone sold there affordable home purchased from the council. Do these houses need to be sold to someone who is going to live in them or can an investor buy one? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AFAIK anything with council ground rent has to be owner occupied at least to start with. This is only from my purchase which was an add on to the end of the row but still on the council ground rent (Dublin).

YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

I sold my apartment back in 2014 which was purchased under the affordable scheme.
    I sold mine to a cash buyer / investor who rented it out. Had no problems with the council, just sold it for the purchase price to avoid any clawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandy1000

Thanks for reply ,was it galway city council as I've heard there are different rules depending on which council you purchased property with.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

sorry for late reply. Was wicklow with me. Council were very easy to deal with. Any more questions send us a pm.
    cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement