Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army cadets in shooting near miss.

• 24-04-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

A report in the Irish times today details a training accident involving a group of cadets during a live firing exercise. Details can be found here.

Thankfully no one was injured and I hope such incidents are rare. Hopefully lessons will be learned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Whoops.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Tears?
    Counselling?

Ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Tears????? God help them if they ever grow the balls to go overseas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭kub

What a joke, how do they vet recruits these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Owryan wrote:

My thoughts exactly,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Have the compensation claims been lodged yet. Hope they had their ear muffs on, otherwise there could be a double claim to include deafness.

Couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Owryan wrote:

alane20 wrote:
    My thoughts exactly,

PTSD compo coming soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Have the compensation claims been lodged yet. Hope they had their ear muffs on, otherwise there could be a double claim to include deafness.

paper bags must be tougher than isis so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXqm2hAF7BU

5 secs in landmine blows mowag wheel off. No tears that day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1Vbs5L0t4 no tears here either.

Now, tell us how many paper bags you've fought your way out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mickmac76 wrote: »
    A report in the Irish times today details a training accident
    On what basis are you calling it an accident? Accident implies it couldn't have been prevented.
    Tears?
    Counselling?

Ffs
    As much for the shooters as the potential victims. Remember these are cadets, not experienced personnel. Why do you think people do battle inoculation before deploying?
    kub wrote: »
    What a joke, how do they vet recruits these days?
    Are cadets referred to as recruits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

cajonlardo wrote: »
    paper bags must be tougher than isis so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXqm2hAF7BU

5 secs in landmine blows mowag wheel off. No tears that day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM1Vbs5L0t4 no tears here either.

Now, tell us how many paper bags you've fought your way out of?

I've fought my way out of a few, isn't difficult when the bag is wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Another keyboard warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭source

I know I'm feeding the troll but

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/irish-troops-prove-their-mettle-on-hostile-syrian-front-line-1.1919554

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

source wrote:
    I know I'm feeding the troll but

Is that the story where the IDF were called to provide Top Cover ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

All joking a side, and I'm one to have had a poke at them too. But I'm not sure how else a few officer cadets are expected to react to a very serious incident like this.

If they've no way of contacting the firing point to let the firers know that there are people down range then they must have been beside themselves with fear.

And its excellent that they were afforded counciling afterwards. A lot of us came home from the earlier UNIFIL missions suffering PTSD and were laughed at & dismissed when affected soldiers tried to seek help.

So unless you've been in a similar situation you can't really afford to point and laugh. And don't try throwing breaks about Liberia, Chad or Kosovo because apart from some incidents in Syria we haven't seen any significant combat in years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm OK with the counselling. Getting shot at is likely going to have the same effect if intentional or accidental. Not so sure about the 'tears' though.

I see two issues quoted in the article, one is fixed.
    It is understood one of the changes to have come from the incident is that movement boxes will retain their live status even during breaks in firing, such as for meals

This is standard for us in the US. We start the flag flying, and declare the range hot in the morning, and it's not cold until we pull down the flag at the end of the day. If the flag is up, then nobody goes downrange without the Range OIC knowing about it (Range OIC is the officer or NCO in the unit using the range, who signed for the range and the flag). Similarly, nobody starts shooting without the Range OIC's permission. Either you don't have that 'dispatcher' system we do, or someone failed to check in.

Advertisement