Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand device

• 24-04-2017 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend is buying a 2nd hand Iphone (a 5s I think, but maybe a 5c). I know nothing about apple devices, how can they verify they are not buying a stolen phone?

Cheers,
    km

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They cant, because it may not be "stolen" yet.

Sell, next day call carrier "somebody stole my phone last night", get a replacement under insurance, buyer gets a brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

ugh - you serious? Makes sense I guess..

What reasonable steps can be taken? Get ID? Or don't buy privately?

Any recommendations on a shop to buy from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Safest to buy only an unlocked phone and ask for the original receipt.

It's possible to check the imei number with Apple but as already said, it could be reported stolen after you buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

buy from someone with decent feedback on Adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Buy from someone with good feedback ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

km991148 wrote: »
    Hi,
    A friend is buying a 2nd hand Iphone (a 5s I think, but maybe a 5c). I know nothing about apple devices, how can they verify they are not buying a stolen phone?

Cheers,
    km

Make sure the iCloud activation is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gingergals

I've bought refurbished iPhones from group on,never had any trouble tg

naasrd wrote: »
    Make sure the iCloud activation is off.

That's really all you can do.
    I wouldn't think that happens very often that people sell a phone and report it stolen to their carrier for the craic.
    That's fraud.

Make sure the phone can be erased and setup with your SIM card and 2-3 calls made before handing over money.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This user on Adverts is top class, Ive had a few dealing with him over the years and he is 100%. His feedback is excellent as are his prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Oldest iPhone is consider is a 5s or 6s and I'd only buy off a reputable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Mr.S wrote: »

Never pay cash, always Paypal or bank transfer so you can file a claim / chargeback .

Can you file a claim/chargeback on a bank transfer in Ireland? Google suggests that its not possible but please can you give more details as I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand iPhone 6s plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes they all do it, you just request it with your account provider and they send you the forms to fill out / you submit proof and they handle the rest.

It's straightforward if you complete a chargeback with a supplier (eg a online shop) rather then a private individual but it still should be possible.

Chargeback applies to card transactions, Visa/ MasterCard, debit and credit.

Bank transfers have a very short time limit to reverse. AIB merchant services, www.aibms.ie has details.

Advertisement