Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xerox Copier Scan to Email Problem

Options
  • 24-04-2017 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

i've a work problem that no one seems to be able to fix. I work in an office where we all (12 users) work off the same network.

We have a xerox copier machine which we use to scan documents to our various email address. The copier has taken issue with my email address (and 1 other user) and the error that comes up says "cannot connect to the remote server". We use Microsoft Outlook 2013. It was working perfectly for years and then just over night about 6-8 months ago its just stopped working.

Now i've had our IT company look at this, they've deleted and uninstalled/reinstalled all connections to the copier from my pc, deleted my user desktop, created a new user, double and triple checked all settings against other users and they told me is a Xerox problem. I've had the xerox people out twice and they do what they have to do and tell me its an IT problem. The lines of communication are open between my pc and the copier as i can print directly to the copier. They can't understand what is wrong (and haven't offered any solutions except passing the blame back and forth) they tell me if one email address is not working then technically all others should not be working either as its a network situation.

any suggestions? Its driving me nuts having to scan to another user and retrieve emails from there :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is the task authenticated, does it use your password? If so I'd check what characters you use vs what Xerox supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd side with Xerox, and guess that it's likely an IT issue to sort out, via either your email server or the xerox's address list.

Questions to ask...
    what is the email server / relay that your company uses. Office 365, gmail, something more basic that came with your domain / email hosting or (unlikely these days for a small company) an internal physical mail server?

On the Xerox, are you selecting your name from the list on the xerox screen or typing in the full email address each time?

On the Xerox..
    Is the domain of your email address, as set up in the Xerox address book, the same as the working colleagues?
    (the bit after the @) not the case that you two are using @company.ie while others use @company.com in the xerox's directory?
    (some companies have built up a list of legacy domain names, that still accept mail but cause subtle issues.)

To check for coherent error messages sent by the mail server...
    Can the IT people record and replicate the SMTP settings set on the Xerox on a desktop SMTP client, then test against the destination email addresses in the Xerox address book.

Under Xerox's built in web server, Admin \ Properties \ Services \ Email \Setup \ Required Settings \ SMTP (email)
    there's "Required Information", "SMTP Authentication" and "Connection Encryption" to duplicate for testing.

Some free client like Mozilla Thunderbird that lets them do comprehensive logging should do.

It's very likely providing a 3 digit code back that better describes the error.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP

Advertisement