Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish flag on schools?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This may have been mentioned earlier but you are only supposed to fly the flag during daylight hours. One of the things I learned from my kids during the 1916 centenary celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

joe40 wrote: »
    This may have been mentioned earlier but you are only supposed to fly the flag during daylight hours. One of the things I learned from my kids during the 1916 centenary celebrations.

Why?

What happens if you fly it at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

LordSutch wrote: »
    Why?

Noone sees it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

joe40 wrote: »

https://senatormarkdaly.org/irish-flag-can-now-be-flown-at-night-thanks-to-protocol-change/

Only in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

It's interesting reading through all the replies. I'm glad I brought up the subject. I see it as an important one.

I was on the west coast of the US for a couple of weeks two weeks after 9/11, and while understandable, every home had a flag flying, every car had a flag sticker & every person wore a flag pin. It probably made millionaires out of flag suppliers. I remember thinking that I wished I could be as proud to fly the Irish flag without there being a football match on or someone thinking I'm in the 'RA.

There should be pride in one's national flag, it's a symbol of who you are. All kids should be instructed in the Anthem & flag protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

LordSutch wrote: »
    Why?

It should also not be allowed to get wet or to be fed after midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

OU812 wrote: »
    It's interesting reading through all the replies. I'm glad I brought up the subject. I see it as an important one.

I was on the west coast of the US for a couple of weeks two weeks after 9/11, and while understandable, every home had a flag flying, every car had a flag sticker & every person wore a flag pin. It probably made millionaires out of flag suppliers. I remember thinking that I wished I could be as proud to fly the Irish flag without there being a football match on or someone thinking I'm in the 'RA.

There should be pride in one's national flag, it's a symbol of who you are. All kids should be instructed in the Anthem & flag protocol.

on the plus side though, there has been a spate of burglaries in our area of late and we have been advised to fly a flag in the back garden.

Apparently a flag and a few Sinn Fein stickers in the window puts people off breaking in for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Shenshen wrote: »
    What purpose would having an Irish flag outside a school serve?

It'd give the poor auld flagpole a sense of purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

do you need to wave a flag to foster that though?

Certainly not. I'd have thought running a flag up-and-back-down a pole every day would be utterly impractical. I wouldn't like us to become the equivalent of the fleggers in the north who shat the bed when the 24/7/365 Union Flag was synchronized with Britain's official flag-flying days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, as long as they fly it on Patrick's Day I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    You must be great fun during the world cup ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If I had my way I'd bring back the anthem when RTE finishes for the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

What do all the many non-British born children at school in the UK do when there's an Olympics/World Cup/ Royal birth/World War anniversary and the school is decked out in Union Jack bunting? Stay home?
    Many Grammar schools still sing the national anthem at assembly.
    Don't let yourself get caught up in this "triggered" " safe space " nonsense.
    This is Ireland, a sovereign state.
    If the school want to run a tri color up a pole or deck the place out in green on March 17 then anyone who is offended can f**k off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They should fly the flag if they can and it isn't too much bother. It looks nice if you ask me. But if it's too much bother, with too much protocol, then fair enough if you need to take care of other things first.

Though the fact that it seems to be problematic and a bit of a pain in the arse to go through the whole rigmarole of hoisting the damn thing, to the extent that it's actually easier to not bother, says more to me about Ireland than any piece of fabric ever could.

I don't think it represents a new dawn for rabid nationalism. It's just the Irish flag fluttering outside Irish schools in Ireland - there's a lot more worthy subjects worth getting one's knickers in a twist over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

So they are 0/2 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll help you out bro. Thanks to the Internet, you can remain safely ensconced in that bubble that was two channel land forever -

Only saw this a few times when I was a kid. If I was up late enough to see this blast of raw blarney it meant that I was having an outrageous night of divilment. And Ireland approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Should we all be racists now father? What's the official line the church is taking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭JoeyPeeps

I think it's better they're indoctrinated in the new baywatch, islam and rnb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I grew up in America and along our own borders here. I would rather we avoid the cult-like devotion. Probably best to save the flag for special occasions if it is so special, if it's always there it becomes tatty and an everyday object, a bit counter to what the fleg folks here want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I like the Irish flag. I love a flag that whiny people attempting to mess with it just make themselves look like idiots.

Anyone remember a charming member of the Westboro Baptist Church losing his mind over the gay marriage referendum, so he filmed himself (or someone filmed him) waving it upside down to indicate a country in distress. Of course, this makes no sense with the Irish flag, so he reversed it and ended up insulting the Ivory Coast. :D

I otherwise have little to no opinion on whether or not to fly it. I mostly see them outside supermarkets and don't really approve of it, especially when they are (often) left overnight and out in all our range of lovely weather. There's something rather depressing about seeing a ragged, faded Irish flag glued around a pole with rain.

There is something pretty satisfying about waving a huge flag though and it making that "crrrack" noise as the wind snaps it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well, shows how long since I've watched RTE late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A Prayer at Bedtime followed by the anthem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

As long as they don't insist on flying the EU flag whats the problem? We are Irish and proud of it, the EU one means allegiance to Brussels, now that's indoctrination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

redcup342 wrote: »
    They all got one last year, even got a talk on how to use a flag real good

http://www.military.ie/info-centre/defence-forces-2016/flags-for-schools-initiative/

Free miniature flags for all...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As long as they don't insist on flying the EU flag whats the problem? We are Irish and proud of it, the EU one means allegiance to Brussels, now that's indoctrination.

How does it mean allegiance to brussels?

I never got peoples nationalistic obsession with flags, all seems kinda silly and pointless tbh when people get so worked up over a piece of fabric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

None fly it in our area,they all put them up for 1916 ceramony but decided to take them down for some reason.
    We as a country have zero respect for our flag anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The flag should not be flown after sunset so the fact it would have to be raised and lowered daily is probably why it is not erected. I raised our flag at home on easter sunday , i think it was probably the only one in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Your right, we don't want people to think we like the EU. Sure what have they ever done for us other than give us tens of billions to turn our dirt tracks into unreal roads, forced the Government to give women and gay people equal rights, gave us access to the largest market in Europe and membership of the EU is one of the main reasons why so American firms are here. What have the EU done for us right...

If anything we need to fly the EU flag to counteract this BS nationalism that is rising in Europe at the moment, where the EU is the case of all problems in nations like France/UK/Romania etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Nationalistic ideology? What a load of bollix. It's the flag of our country. Lets one know that one is in Ireland, not Belgium, Germany or Venezuela. Nothing wrong with that or is there? As for NI, never been there, not particularly interested in the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Some schools do it, others dont... not a stretch for the schools that have a pole, to get the janitor to put it up in the AM and take it down before Hometime. pure laziness on the part of some schools is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Nationalistic ideology? What a load of bollix. It's the flag of our country. Lets one know that one is in Ireland, not Belgium, Germany or Venezuela. Nothing wrong with that or is there? As for NI, never been there, not particularly interested in the place.

If you can't figure out what country you're in until you see a flag, you've got bigger problems to think about, I would assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Are you trying to say that these non-Irish kids should be allowed to PRETEND that the school they are attending is not REALLY in Ireland?
    For fairness sake like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Now come on.... we all support something in our communities, from the local sports teams to societies and charities etc, now were complaining about national flags being flown as a forced national pride? There's really nothing wrong with a sliver of pride or patriotism on a national level in everyone's life. If you dont like it, then dont look at the flag for feic sake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

TheDoc wrote: »
    Might not be a bad thing for some forced national pride for our children and them learning the national anthem.

That'll work. After all, the forced learning of Irish created a deep seated love of the language in every last one of us, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

That would explain your complete lack of values with an admiration for spoofers and chancers who like to call themselves 'entrepreneurs' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Educating young people of their history and heritage and a respect for the wider community is a positive education rather than the gobshytes who tell us the alleged 'free' market with total greed will solve everyone's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Actually it's much worse than that - they throw over to Euro News in the wee hours :eek:
    Surely that warrants a blast of Amhrán na bhFiann, to fend off the conquering EuroLords!

Well the principle of laissez faire economics was taught in economics in my day anyway. But young people are indoctrinated with bullsh!t about 'entrepreneurs' and 'Captains of Industry' who are only glorified spoofers ripping off society, you just have to read some of Denis O'Brien's comics or listen to the Marian Finucane show etc Educating a young person to have respect for their heritage, culture and history is character building instead of the "greed is good" ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

To all those opposed to flying the flag, tell me a better way of integrating kids into the community. Maybe some of these kids were born here of immigrants, how else are they supposed to learn about the country they are now apart of. Many immigrants children & adults want to feel connected to Ireland but its people with a chip on their shoulders who ruin it for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Help!!!! wrote:
    Well they are in Ireland. We are told bring in refugees, there will be no problems, they will integrate into the community. Then some leftie like you comes up with statements like this.

National pride is for people with nothing they achieved themselves to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

National pride is for people with nothing they achieved themselves to be proud of.

Well thats your view on it, I'm sure many will see it differently. I am proud to be Irish & I have achieved many things in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Help!!!! wrote:
    Well thats your view on it, I'm sure many will see it differently. I am proud to be Irish & I have achieved many things in my life.

Did you choose to be Irish? Had you any say in it at all?

I am short. I am happy to be short, and it's probably a major part of how I see myself. But being proud of it would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I would rather that young children at that age were instilled with a sense of local/community pride rather than national pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Educating young people of their history and heritage and a respect for the wider community is a positive education rather than the gobshytes who tell us the alleged 'free' market with total greed will solve everyone's problems.
    Well the principle of laissez faire economics was taught in economics in my day anyway. But young people are indoctrinated with bullsh!t about 'entrepreneurs' and 'Captains of Industry' who are only glorified spoofers ripping off society, you just have to read some of Denis O'Brien's comics or listen to the Marian Finucane show etc Educating a young person to have respect for their heritage, culture and history is character building instead of the "greed is good" ideology.

The mistake here is a common one: assuming every teenager automatically connects with your heritage and your history.

By all means, introduce it to them, but don't think for one second they are automatically going to feel any sense of self from it. You are not your nationality.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭OU812

I would rather that young children at that age were instilled with a sense of local/community pride rather than national pride.

Does your community have a flag or anthem? Start there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement