Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport hen pub crawl.

• 24-04-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hay there.
    Not too sure if I am posting this in the right place but wondering if you could help me.
    I am organising a hen in August in Westport. We were hoping to do a pub crawl around Westport during the day (we need to be leave the town at 11pm that night to get back to our accomodation) can anyone recommend a good route. Maybe just 6 or 7 pubs around Westport. we want to end up somewhere lively with music early like 8/9ish time and that will provide food platter or nibbles (seeing as we have to leave at 11).
    Would appreciate any suggestions or routes you could recommend. Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Bourkes on Castlebar St. The West, Jester, Cosy Joes, Henehans on Bridge St. Henehans is a late bar though so you might be gone home too early. Blousers on James St have an upstairs section they use sometimes. Salsa dance classes used to take place up there. Mind you just get to Westport and take it from there. Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Hope ye have a good hen, but:

1. Doing a Cinderella at 23.00 hours may break many hearts. It may be worth while seeking overnight accommodation. Plenty of beaches for bracing walks the morning after.

2. All places listed are good. Some others:
    Clew Bay Hotel James St - I saw them do a nice champagne reception for a Hen last year.

Wyatt Hotel, Octagon,; Castlecourt Hotel Castlebar St.

The hotels would have space for dancing

Matt Molloys Bridge St is the tourist mecca. Apart from front bar they have three more rooms to rear where various sessions happen.

McGings High St. There are two.
    The upper one has been extended, but they kept to the framework of the original rooms - sitting room, kitchen etc rather than knocking walls to make one big pub. Very busy at weekends, but would be space earlier in the day.

Tom's Wine Bar - Gallery Market Lane.
    Good wine selection, nibbles etc. Music sessions there at weekends.

One or two of your group should visit the town at a weekend for a look

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

nuac wrote: »
    Hope ye have a good hen, but:

1. Doing a Cinderella at 23.00 hours may break many hearts. It may be worth while seeking overnight accommodation. Plenty of beaches for bracing walks the morning after.

2. All places listed are good. Some others:
    Clew Bay Hotel James St - I saw them do a nice champagne reception for a Hen last year.

Wyatt Hotel, Octagon,; Castlecourt Hotel Castlebar St.

The hotels would have space for dancing

Matt Molloys Bridge St is the tourist mecca. Apart from front bar they have three more rooms to rear where various sessions happen.

McGings High St. There are two.
    The upper one has been extended, but they kept to the framework of the original rooms - sitting room, kitchen etc rather than knocking walls to make one big pub. Very busy at weekends, but would be space earlier in the day.

Tom's Wine Bar - Gallery Market Lane.
    Good wine selection, nibbles etc. Music sessions there at weekends.

One or two of your group should visit the town at a weekend for a look

Enjoy

I agree nobody will want to leave Westport at 11pm and if you enforce it you might be seen as a spoil sport. The craic will be in full swing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mdoreilly91

Thanks a million everyone for advice. I know leaving early is going to be a pain but unfortunately we do not have a choice! We will have everyone well warned! Where would you recommend ending up? Cosy Joes, Clock Tavern or JJ O Malleys? Where will have music earlyish like 8/9ish is possible?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Westport doesn't really get going until 10:30 - 11:00

Plenty of places already mentioned, Matt Malloys is a good bet for dancing, go through the side entrance and head out the back through the smoking area. It's 80% men in that place so a hen would be very welcome.

The porterhouse next door is a better spot if you ask me, smaller but always a lively crowd.

It depends on the age profile where you want to end up. Cosy Joe's is full of really young ones with music to match. Henehans is a good spot with an older crowd but would be empty until around 12 o'clock. Avoid the castle court unless you like paying to get in and being surrounded by people taking selfies.

I am going to make an assumption on the groups age and recommend The Clock, or the porter house if you have to leave by 11. Shame you can't stay out later, the place is only getting going by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mdoreilly91

Yeah I know we would love to stay out but just can't with accomodation. late twenties is age group.. Thanks a million for the advice looking at the clock or poster house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

now i'm not telling you your business but i have been on a lot of stags over the years and while its not exactly the same i dont know how you are going to convince a load of steaming drunk woman to leave a pub at 11.00pm on a Saturday night.

is it that your accommodation is a distance away and you have a long journey? or are you staying in a convent where they lock the doors at 11.30pm?

assuming its the first i would consider just going on the beer where ye are staying.

farmchoice wrote: »
    now i'm not telling you your business but i have been on a lot of stags over the years and while its not exactly the same i dont know how you are going to convince a load of steaming drunk woman to leave a pub at 11.00pm on a Saturday night.

is it that your accommodation is a distance away and you have a long journey? or are you staying in a convent where they lock the doors at 11.30pm?

assuming its the first i would consider just going on the beer where ye are staying.

Listen son, ladies may be glowing, excited, mighty craic, life and soul of the party, etc etc.
    In Westport, ladies are never drunk, much less "steaming drunk":)

Westport doesn't really get going until 10:30 - 11:00

Plenty of places already mentioned, Matt Malloys is a good bet for dancing, go through the side entrance and head out the back through the smoking area. It's 80% men in that place so a hen would be very welcome.

The porterhouse next door is a better spot if you ask me, smaller but always a lively crowd.

It depends on the age profile where you want to end up. Cosy Joe's is full of really young ones with music to match. Henehans is a good spot with an older crowd but would be empty until around 12 o'clock. Avoid the castle court unless you like paying to get in and being surrounded by people taking selfies.

I am going to make an assumption on the groups age and recommend The Clock, or the porter house if you have to leave by 11. Shame you can't stay out later, the place is only getting going by then

Minor point

Go into Molloys thru' the front door. Push your way thru' lads - slowly now. Without compromising your maidenly modesty give an opportunity for Cupid's arrows to seek out targets.

Some of the lads there have been known to momentarily lift their face from a pint to glance at an attractive woman

If ye are going to do a Cinderella act, no point in loitering in gateways where more than arrows fly.

Can always go out thru the gateway and re-enter thru' the front door. Might catch some lads between pints

Advertisement