Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratoath or Navan?

Options
  • 24-04-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

We are thinking of moving to either Ratoath or Johnstown Wood in Navan.

We have a little boy who is ready for preschool. Can any one recommend which area would be best to bring up our son in relation to schools etc. Also, which would be more lively to live in, my husband and I are both from Dublin.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

Ratoath is more expensive and wants to be posh, lots of people from Dublin moved to Ratoath. Navan is cheaper and definitely more lively than Ratoath.. personal opinion I'd go with Navan for different reasons, is bigger, more shops and more creches, montessori etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Well Ratoath is about half the distance to Dublin as Navan and while officially in Meath is really a suburb of Dublin , Navan is proper country and your kids will grow up Meath boys and girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Ratoath is a short drive to the M3 Parkway railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kat1975

Well Ratoath is about half the distance to Dublin as Navan and while officially in Meath is really a suburb of Dublin , Navan is proper country and your kids will grow up Meath boys and girls.

Thanks for the reply. Our aim is to be as close as possible to Dublin. Would you recommend Ratoath?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Kat1975 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Our aim is to be as close as possible to Dublin. Would you recommend Ratoath?

I live in Dublin but I have friends who moved to both , not sure about schools but I certainly see the folks from Ratoath at nights out in Dublin more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Why not check out Ashbourne? Bigger than Ratoath, plenty of creches and primary schools and a lot closer to Dublin than Navan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Meath forum charter applies

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

I'm from Dublin, living in ratoath for past 12 years. I would chose it over navan purely because it's a lot closer to the city than navan.
    Having said that houses are more expensive than navan, you'll get a lot more for your money the further you move from Dublin.
    Pubs, restaurants are ok, schools are good.theres Gaa, soccer, rugby , tennis and other clubs but ratoath has a young population I'd say 80% dubs from nearby areas like blanch and finglas. With that brings loads of teenagers with nothing to do except hang around outside shops and green spaces.
    I am seeing the area getting rough and not having a Garda station doesn't help.
    I'd still chose it over navan or Ashbourne.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

cristali wrote: »
    Ratoath is more expensive and wants to be posh, lots of people from Dublin moved to Ratoath. Navan is cheaper and definitely more lively than Ratoath.. personal opinion I'd go with Navan for different reasons, is bigger, more shops and more creches, montessori etc
    Wants to be posh??? Are you serious?? :pac: A hell of a lot of people from Dublin moved to Navan also.

Navan is obviously a lot bigger and so has more stuff to do in the immediate vicinity. Also more shops in Navan whereas Ratoath has a smallish Super Valu and a few convenience stores. But Ashbourne is less than 10 minutes away with Blanchardstown a 20 minute drive away so if you have a car, it's not a problem. It's also a lot easier to get in and out of Dublin with buses and the train station 10 minutes away.
    Ratoath also still has a close knit, community feel to it despite the growth it has experienced over the last 15-20 years.

Having lived in Ratoath, I'd recommend it but it is obviously going to be more expensive because of the proximity to Dublin, not because it "wants to be posh" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kat1975

I'm from Dublin, living in ratoath for past 12 years. I would chose it over navan purely because it's a lot closer to the city than navan.
    Having said that houses are more expensive than navan, you'll get a lot more for your money the further you move from Dublin.
    Pubs, restaurants are ok, schools are good.theres Gaa, soccer, rugby , tennis and other clubs but ratoath has a young population I'd say 80% dubs from nearby areas like blanch and finglas. With that brings loads of teenagers with nothing to do except hang around outside shops and green spaces.
    I am seeing the area getting rough and not having a Garda station doesn't help.
    I'd still chose it over navan or Ashbourne.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any particular estates that might not be so good for young children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

Thanks for the reply. Are there any particular estates that might not be so good for young children?

They're all more or less the same, some have better finishes than others or are in better locations but its reflected in the price,it's really a case of driving around and getting a feel for them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fabregas86

Navan does not campare with ratoath , navan is a much larger area with some really nice parts and some rather run down areas as with lots of larger towns , i would rather ratoath but its is not as quiet as once was more crime and more or less a small dublin town as 75% of its population i reckon a from dublin all the same it is a fantastic place to live .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Navan has 2 Deis schools Ratoath has none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

MayoSalmon wrote: »

That's a very snobbish reply.

NufcNavan wrote:
    That's a very snobbish reply.

Reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

With more resources and support from government and education agencies than non deis schools if my local one is anything to go by.

With more resources and support from government and education agencies than non deis schools if my local one is anything to go by.

I would well believe it. The so called "disadvantaged" have more supports and resources than anybody in society.

I would well believe it. The so called "disadvantaged" have more supports and resources than anybody in society.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I presume you were never a child who had to go to school each day hungry. That's what the support of these DEIS schools are for. To give some disadvantaged pupils a chance in a society that otherwise gives them none.

And btw this is OT but I know of many Deis schools that are much better run and have students who are much better behaved than other voluntary schools who get by on reputation.

Reality

Classist snobbery. Judging an area based on Deis schools is about as small minded as it gets.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    You have no idea what you're talking about.

I presume you were never a child who had to go to school each day hungry. That's what the support of these DEIS schools are for. To give some disadvantaged pupils a chance in a society that otherwise gives them none.

And btw this is OT but I know of many Deis schools that are much better run and have students who are much better behaved than other voluntary schools who get by on reputation.

Ah stop this is one of the wealthiest countries in Europe with one of the highest Social welfare budgets, nobody is going hungry anywhere nevermind little kids going to school.

• Advertisement

Classist snobbery. Judging an area based on Deis schools is about as small minded as it gets.

Not judging anything by Deis schools. Merely answered the OP who was asking how the schools were in both areas.

1 area has Deis schools the other doesn't.

Deis schools are only in communities at "risk" of disadvantage and social exclusion so the OP can make her mind up about which area they would like to live in.

Ah stop this is one of the wealthiest countries in Europe with one of the highest Social welfare budgets, nobody is going hungry anywhere nevermind little kids going to school.
    Again you are wrong.
    Not judging anything by Deis schools. Merely answered the OP who was asking how the schools were in both areas.

1 area has Deis schools the other doesn't.

Deis schools are only in communities at "risk" of disadvantage and social exclusion so the OP can make her mind up about which area they would like to live in.
    That's not what you quoted. You answered a question about rough estates by using Deis schools as an indicator of quality between the areas. That is blatant snobbery.

OP Said
    We are thinking of moving to either Ratoath or Johnstown Wood in Navan.

We have a little boy who is ready for preschool. Can any one recommend which area would be best to bring up our son in relation to schools etc. Also, which would be more lively to live in, my husband and I are both from Dublin.

I simply said there 2 Deis schools in Navan and none in Ratoath relating specifically to OP question regarding which schools would be best for their son.

Again you are wrong.

Well parents should be held responsible then as they are given ample amount of tax payer money to provide for their childs health and nutrition.

Furthermore there are plenty of charities within Ireland that are able to assist parents in these situations. No excuse for children to be going hungry in the 7th richest country in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

Well parents should be held responsible then as they are given ample amount of tax payer money to provide for their childs health and nutrition.

Furthermore there are plenty of charities within Ireland that are able to assist parents in these situations. No excuse for children to be going hungry in the 7th richest country in Europe.

As you can see there are lots of people in Ratoath who think they are better than others less fortunate. You'll probably find most of them are in negative equity but still drive big cars. I wouldn't recommend either place TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

What planet do you live on? Suppose theres no homeless in your world either.

OP Ratoath would be better location wise. Navan has its own share of rough areas so do your homework.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    What planet do you live on? Suppose theres no homeless in your world either.

OP Ratoath would be better location wise. Navan has its own share of rough areas so do your homework.

Homelessness in Ireland accounts for less than 0.00175% of the population but lets all keep believing it an ongoing "crisis"

Homelessness in Ireland accounts for less than 0.00175% of the population but lets all keep believing it an ongoing "crisis"

1 IS 1 TOO MANY!

Ginger83 wrote: »
    1 IS 1 TOO MANY!

Agreed not a crisis though and in fact our homelessness figures are lower than many OECD countries

• Advertisement

Agreed not a crisis though and in fact our homelessness figures are lower than many OECD countries

I'd agree with you there.

Advertisement