Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice with Lawn Repair/Renovation

Options
  • 24-04-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Looking for some advice please. I have so many problems I dont know where to start! I have three separate grass areas - each about 70 sq m.

Issue #1 - There is plenty of moss in the grass and some weeds and dandelions too. I was going to hire a scarifier but then read a lot about Mo Bacter - will this help me or do I need to do something about the weeds/dandelion first ?

Issue #2 - We've an area that's very shaded by both the house and a couple of trees - grass has never really taken properly here. Same issue with grass not taking under trampoline. Ground is very compacted around trees. Do I just rotavate and seed and feed ?

Issue #3 - A trench was dug across one area a few years ago, filled back in and reseeded - the ground has sunk over the length of the trench. I've also one or two small holes (maybe 0.5 sqm) to sort out. I've a few bags of nutrient reach topsoil - can I just spread this over the existing grass the length of the trench and reseed ?

Issue #4 - we've a gaggle of children so swings and everything - areas with heavy footfall around swing is being wore away. Is it similar to #2 above and rotavate/seed perhaps with a 'tough grass' ? I'm reluctant to go the bark/rubber chippings route until I've at least given it a decent shot at growing some grass..

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions - but for now I'd be grateful for some words of advice and experience...

Cheers
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Get those rubber mats withe the hole to let the grass grow through for under and around the swings. They'll save the area getting torn back to mud through use and the grass can grow up through the holes.

donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/grass-mats-for-sale-also-suitable-for-slipdecking/11413344

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

The garden grass mats are a great idea - I'll order a few of them.

In relation to Issue #3, should I (a) remove the top sod and fill in under it with the new soil and then relay top sod back down. (b) remove the top sod, turn it, then overlay with new top soil

Has anybody any advice for Issue #1 or #2 ?

Many thanks
    B

Advertisement