Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats preventing houses being built?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

davindub wrote: »
    There's Eu rulings on this, I think they were restricted on the number of social housing they could build. But it would solve the problem quickly and provide some income for the state if they were building and selling houses at affordable prices.
    In the case I outlined above, it wasn't the state that was selling the houses, it was whatever building firm built them. The state merely provided the building plots and associated infrastructure and sold the plots on to builders with strict guidelines on the type of house to be built. The costs of all the infrastructure and other amenities was built in to the cost of the plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Complete pie in the sky but decentralisation hasn't worked so IMO should be recentralised OUTSIDE Dublin. A whole scale move of the public service to Limerick would be my suggestion freeing up space and workforce and accommodation for business in Dublin. I'd move the whole lot, the Dail everything, we might keep Michael D. we might not. One city for business, another for government.

Not a massively serious suggestion so don't get too worked up.

Cos Limerick has heaps of empty housing at the moment like?

And business leaders don't want any access to government ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cos Limerick has heaps of empty housing at the moment like?

And business leaders don't want any access to government ...

Limerick would need to be developed, but that's easier than developing Dublin and easier again than developing Dublin for both. Business leaders and politicians should be kept as far away from each other as possible but Limerick isn't too much of a hardship (well it is but that's OT :pac:) or are you suggesting that the MD of Apple in Ireland needs daily access to Enda? If he/she does, can they not use facetime?

We have gold plated the building regulations and planners still have a bias against building up.

An Irish company is going hell for leather building modern prefab houses for the UK. They are affordable, energy efficient and quick... but I suspect not acceptable to irish planners and regulators.

Also the government, all governments here, have incentivised private investment into property and as a result have a greater vested interest in keeping house prices high than encouraging them to be cheap.

Other countries incentivise private investments into non property investments and keep the property prices low and affordable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Limerick would need to be developed, but that's easier than developing Dublin and easier again than developing Dublin for both. Business leaders and politicians should be kept as far away from each other as possible but Limerick isn't too much of a hardship (well it is but that's OT :pac:) or are you suggesting that the MD of Apple in Ireland needs daily access to Enda? If he/she does, can they not use facetime?

Have you driven on Limerick roads lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

pilly wrote: »
    Have you driven on Limerick roads lately?

Could they be 'Developed'

Actually sorry Limerick - on reflection I think Kilkenny actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Alun wrote: »
    In the case I outlined above, it wasn't the state that was selling the houses, it was whatever building firm built them. The state merely provided the building plots and associated infrastructure and sold the plots on to builders with strict guidelines on the type of house to be built. The costs of all the infrastructure and other amenities was built in to the cost of the plots.

That sounds ideal, I think they do that in some areas of France as well. Enables planning and prevents windfalls / hoarding by speculators. Opens up the market to competition.

Can't see it happening here, the developers have too much political pull.

Alun wrote: »
    The state merely provided the building plots and associated infrastructure and sold the plots on to builders with strict guidelines on the type of house to be built. The costs of all the infrastructure and other amenities was built in to the cost of the plots.

Thats what we should be doing here.

Every town in Ireland is blighted by ribbon development and the planners dont care, even tho they nit pick on otheer things. Yet the spaces in between the 'arms of the starfish' is undeveloped. The state should buy these lands, link them up and sell them on for development.
    It would be more efficient for the provision of services and also much better for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thats what we should be doing here.

Every town in Ireland is blighted by ribbon development and the planners dont care, even tho they nit pick on otheer things. Yet the spaces in between the 'arms of the starfish' is undeveloped. The state should buy these lands, link them up and sell them on for development.
    It would be more efficient for the provision of services and also much better for the environment.
    That's exactly it, the planners here don't actually plan in any real proactive sense, they just respond reactively to development proposals from individuals and 'developers'.

I really don't see what added value developers give to the situation apart from making vast profits for doing pretty much nothing apart from taking a financial risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe I have got this wrong in some way, there are large abandon factories one near where I work has been for sale for years.

Why are they not knocked down and turned to residential use one I know of is beside a residential area and has a large site and it would be perfect for housing, They are never going to be factories or commercial properties again. The areas they are situated in are not suitable any more for the sort of use they were built for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement