Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver v open drive.

Options
  • 24-04-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Another thread here got me thinking about this. Time of the year again and I'm getting quotes. My GF is a named driver on my policy. We have one car and she probably drives 3+ times a week and is over 25.

I'm just looking at the positives and negatives. But what is to stop me just getting open drive on my policy and letting her drive that way rather than a named driver. Would it be much cheaper? Is there a maximum drive limit? Etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Open drive will be more expensive as it covers multiple drivers.

Personally I have it and always will on my car. Nobody has had to drive my car at short notice but you never know what tomorrow will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Naming your partners near guarantees a cheaper rate

If covers both lowering risk rating & increases chance the insurer will get chance to quote for his/her car come renewal time..

Advertisement