Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding and detection by garda in garda car.

• 24-04-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Am trying to find out for sure!

Person A doing in excess of 65kph in a 60kph zone. Passes garda car and (too late) notices garda holding speed gun.
    Person A has been told by Person B that garda has to stop him at the scene and issue fixed charge penalty notice and that because this didn't happen that Person A is grand and can stop worrying.

Person C tells Person A that no, the garda does not have to stop him and that he may not be surprised if notice re fine and penalty points arrives in his door in the next few weeks.

Who is right - B or C?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The Gardaí must stop you when they hold a speed gun, it is known as an intercept detection. However they do not issue a FCPN there and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

I was reliably told years ago by a garda friend that your given 10% grace when detected with a speed gun.
    Also the speedo of your car is normally reading more than your actual speed. So an indicated speed of 65kph may only be 61 on the speedgun
    And no guard would waste their time chasing someone only just over the speed limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

So Person B is correct? Person A was not stopped so no FCPN will issue at all?

So Person B is correct? Person A was not stopped so no FCPN will issue at all?

Correct.

I was reliably told years ago by a garda friend that your given 10% grace when detected with a speed gun.
    Also the speedo of your car is normally reading more than your actual speed. So an indicated speed of 65kph may only be 61 on the speedgun
    And no guard would waste their time chasing someone only just over the speed limit.

There is no specific % grace, however each individual Garda will apply his/her own grace, the level of which is usually dependent on the speed limit and they will also apply discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Thank you. Will pass this info on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In the UK the grace guidelines given by the chiefs is 10% +2mph. But you can be done for being 1mph over the limit if the cop feels it necessary.

And with the new fines being up to 175% of your weekly wage...... Is not worth the risk.....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mark2912

Sorry to bring up an old thread here, but yesterday on the way to work I had a run in with the Gardai

I was driving to work on a dual carriageway, and when I signalled right and moved into the right-turning lane to exit the dual carriageway, a Garda car which I passed earlier on had caught up with me and asked me to pull the window down.

This guard then began accusing me of constantly switching lanes, which I told him I done to overtake, and also said that I was driving "right up peoples backsides" on a number of occasions. Then tried to act hard telling me I'm going the right way if I want to lose my license and to cut the attitude etc.

However, they never asked me for my name or to see my license etc, so could they still issue a fine/points? It was a road traffic police car so I presume the car had all sorts of detection devices on it, so would it still be possible to issue a fine or points simply by taking down my reg?

Advertisement