Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping​ gear wheels

Options
  • 24-04-2017 8:37pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to take the cogs off one back wheel (7speed) and transfer them to another wheel. The new wheel originally had 9 gears but they've been removed. What tools and pieces will I need and is it simple enough or is there a lot of messing about adjusting things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You'll probably need a chain whip and a lock nut removal tool.
    How old is the wheel? What make/brand of wheel is it?
    Can you post a photo of both wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it a freewheel or a cassette? Older wheels tend to have freewheels.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The 'old' one is about a year old, cassette. The only branding on it is 'velocity' which is the model of the bike (KS is the brand). The 'new' one is a few years older I'd say, Mavic brand, CXP33.

I'll grab a photo of each tomorrow.

The new wheel is with the red tyre, the old one has no tyre
    The cylindrical piece that holds the cogs (not sure which bit exactly is called the cassette) is approx 35mm on the new wheel. Hard to gauge the length of the one on the old wheel.

http://imgur.com/a/EP0E7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

From your pics, it looks like the 7-speed is a freewheel and won't fit your new wheel. Post a close up of the 7-speed for confirmation.

What part of the 7-speed exactly do you need to see? The 4th picture (old wheel close) is about as detailed as I can show without removing the cogs.

I found this side-by-side image of the two types but the only real visible difference to my untrained eye is the part where the plastic transparent disc and largest cog are attached on mine.

I'll try the LBS on Saturday morning I reckon. Worst case is a new cassette for the wheel or does this have a knock-on effect on the derailleur?

What part of the 7-speed exactly do you need to see? The 4th picture (old wheel close) is about as detailed as I can show without removing the cogs.

I found this side-by-side image of the two types but the only real visible difference to my untrained eye is the part where the plastic transparent disc and largest cog are attached on mine.

I'll try the LBS on Saturday morning I reckon. Worst case is a new cassette for the wheel or does this have a knock-on effect on the derailleur?

One is a treaded hub (on the left), the one on the right is a freewheel/Hub, where the cogs (cassette) slide onto the freehub and are locked into position with a lockring.

In short, there not interchangeable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You likely won't get a 7-speed cassette for the new wheel so you're looking at a 9-speed cassette, possibly a derailleur and new 9-speed shifter. What sort of shifter have you?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You likely won't get a 7-speed cassette for the new wheel so you're looking at a 9-speed cassette, possibly a derailleur and new 9-speed shifter. What sort of shifter have you?

I think you can...

sorry...not for the new wheel..

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-parts/gears-cables-drivetrain/halfords-7-speed-freewheel-14-28t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

This is the one, but most older shops will still have some 7 speed cassettes in stock. You may need a couple of spacers.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-parts/gears-cables-drivetrain/shimano-cs-hg41-7-speed-cassette-11-28t

Jesus Christ this is becoming a nightmare. I only wanted to change the bloody tyres :(

Shimano MF Tz21 : looks like a freewheel all right :mad:

Got a new cassette fitted at the LBS. Finally, I can ride my bike!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/87zpY

Advertisement