Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My dad currently insured a car he has asked for third part extension. I was wondering is he allowed to drive any car that only has nct and tax on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Read the policy document.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

One issue that annoys me is that most Insurers insist that the 'other car' is Roadworthy.
    Having contacted several of them, their definition of 'Roadworthy' can vary.
    Some say it must have an NCT (even though this is not mentioned on their Policy).
    Othere do not insist on an NCT, as they say that an NCT is really only valid at the point at which the Car is tested. These Insurers say that their own Assessor would make a decision on whether a Car is roadworthy or not if/when an incident occurs. This is a bit ridiculous as a lot of cars will definitely not be roadworthy after a serious accident, and it may often be impossible to ascertain the roadworthiness of the car prior to an accident due to damage resulting from that accident.

And as coylemj said, read the policy, as a minority of Insurers will insist that the 'other car' has an Insurance Policy linked to it.

Advertisement