Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemates and bills

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,
    Hoping someone can give me advice here.
    So basically I moved into a house with one other person in it already, about 5 months ago. But since I moved in she is never and honestly I mean never ever here, I haven't seen her in about 6 weeks.
    When I moved in she told me bills were 80 euros a month, so I have been giving her this every month, which she asks for in cash only.
    Ice never seen a bill and when o asked for a bill a few times, she's got really annoyed and thinks I'm causing drama?
    I recently opened a letter from both Virgin media and SSE. To say we are at risk of disconnection if the amounts are not paid I. Full.
    So firstly, what the hell is she doing with the 80 a month and I guess secondly how do I approach her as every time I do she just gets really Angry and totally irrational?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

Ask to see all bills, ensure you take into account the date you moved in, and the bills get split 50/50 if there is only two in the house.

Make sure all are paid up, then going forward arrange how to pay. I live with 4 others and gas and electric is split 5 ways and we all pay are spilt individually by phone, and we all see the bill and payments made.

If she gives you hassle, I'd say look to move or ask to talk to landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CBomb23

wijam wrote: »
    Ask to see all bills, ensure you take into account the date you moved in, and the bills get split 50/50 if there is only two in the house.

Make sure all are paid up, then going forward arrange how to pay. I live with 4 others and gas and electric is split 5 ways and we all pay are spilt individually by phone, and we all see the bill and payments made.

If she gives you hassle, I'd say look to move or ask to talk to landlord.

Hi there,
    I've asked to see them on numerous occasions, to no avail unfortunately.

As she is never here, I'm worried I'll wake up some morning and my electric shower won't work.

Having tried asking to see bills and her simply refusing, is it rational for me to withhold Mays €80 until she provides me with copies of bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pay money straight to utility company and keep receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

Climb I agree with Mr S, don't hand over any more money until you see bills and prove of payment.

Mr.S wrote: »
    She's pocketing the money you give her and not paying the bills. Virgin will eventually cut you off (usually after 1 missed bill that isn't paid within 30 days) and charge a re-connection fee + any money owed.

SSE will take a lot longer to cut you off.

Not really much you can do, assuming the bills are in her name? Ask to see copies of the bills to make sure your 80euro a month is accurate and then ask to see proof of payment.

Who where the letters addressed to?

Don't pay any more money for bills until you see copies of all the bills and going forward, request she shows you proof the bill was paid.

If she's not paying bills, then you shouldn't be giving her money.

I've asked for it all already, she just turns it on me, saying I'm accusing her of pulling a fast one, which to be fair I haven't done.
    I politely explained that it's just a transparency thing and it's common practise in a house share, she doesn't own the house so everything is split evenly.
    The letters that came in were addressed to her to be fair, but having had 4 of each all of which said urgent, combined with her not being here for weeks on end, I opened one of each.
    I do feel bad about this but I do think if she won't show me them then there's something wrong and I'm right.
    I'm planning on moving at the end of May, I've notified her of this, to no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

So let me get this straight, she's pulling a fast one, but still gets upset when it's put to her that she's pulling a fast one. Is she even paying the rent ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If it were me I'd be paying the 80 off the electricity to be safe.

Any overdue notices from them?

Apologies just noticed you did say SSE. Jaysus I'd definitely be paying it direct to them so.

pilly wrote: »
    If it were me I'd be paying the 80 off the electricity to be safe.

Any overdue notices from them?

Apologies just noticed you did say SSE. Jaysus I'd definitely be paying it direct to them so.

I've honestly tried everything with her.
    I'm probably my own worst enemy as even though I'm moving out and it would prob be easiest to give her the last 80 I owe her, I don't feel she should be getting away with it.
    It may not be relevant to anything but she is a barrister, and for me personally, I find it quite intimidating number one but surprising with regard to her behaviour.
    The last time I left the 80 out she collected it at 5:10 am waking me by slamming the door on her way out, no thanks for leaving it out or a text to say I got it. Anyway, I must decide do I want the easier life or the hassle of asking for a bill again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

CBomb23 wrote:
    I've honestly tried everything with her. I'm probably my own worst enemy as even though I'm moving out and it would prob be easiest to give her the last 80 I owe her, I don't feel she should be getting away with it. It may not be relevant to anything but she is a barrister, and for me personally, I find it quite intimidating number one but surprising with regard to her behaviour. The last time I left the 80 out she collected it at 5:10 am waking me by slamming the door on her way out, no thanks for leaving it out or a text to say I got it. Anyway, I must decide do I want the easier life or the hassle of asking for a bill again?

Ah well you haven't said before that you were moving out.

If you are then just go and definitely don't give her the last 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If you're moving out next month and the bills aren't in your make then tell her she can have the the money if once you see the most recent bill. She probably has an account online so it needn't be dependent on paper bills.

If everything is above board then pay your share. If there's any doubt that she's been paying the bills or any doubt over together you actually owed 80 per month, then reassess whether you need to pay anything else before you move out. If she's hardly very around then you can tell her you'll probably give it to her next time you see her.

First thing is see the bills. No money until you see the bills and work out how much you need to pay. If she doesn't show you the bills then don't hand over over another cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

If you paid the deposit to her rather than the landlord,
    start emailing her with requests for proof of payment of all that you have paid up to now,
    so that when she inevitably refuses to give you the deposit, (because you weren't paying bills), you have something to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

CBomb23 wrote: »
    I'm probably my own worst enemy as even though I'm moving out and it would prob be easiest to give her the last 80 I owe her, I don't feel she should be getting away with it.
    It may not be relevant to anything but she is a barrister, and for me personally, I find it quite intimidating number one but surprising with regard to her behaviour.
    I'm not sure what gave you the impression that a barrister would be less likely to pull a fast one than anyone else. The fact that shes a barrister means she knows the law and she has been careful to make sure there's no evidence that you ever paid her anything for the bills as you did it in cash. 

In my experience, when someone goes on the defensive straight away its often because they're screwing you. She is making it difficult for you to challenge her by intimidating you and shes banking on you pretending to yourself that everything is probably above board because you don't want to challenge her. 

Unfortunately, it's probably exactly what it looks like - shes pocketing the money and intimidating you to make sure you don't challenge her about it. The best thing is that the bills aren't in your name so you won't have to pay the outstanding bills.

Of course everything could be above board and she could be paying the bills like a model citizen. The outstanding electricity bill you opened could be a mistake. and the Virgin bill could also be a mistake by complete coincidence. And she might genuinely be shocked that you would want to see a bill before paying money.  What do you think is most likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

80 quid a month for Gas, Electricity, Broadband, and TV and you are there on your own mostly? You should be posting in Bargain Alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Barrister probably means she's fecked financially - you'll not be sharing a gaffe with an established JC, you're in with someone starting out. If you're moving just move IMO and forget it.

Rackstar wrote: »
    80 quid a month for Gas, Electricity, Broadband, and TV and you are there on your own mostly? You should be posting in Bargain Alerts

Would be close enough to my share of monthly bills for the above 4 items, mine would be less if anything some months. I'm in a 3 bed house too not an apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

That's 160 for the flat. Normal enough.

What would happen if a junior barrister turned up in court on a small claims and is found guilty?

Hey guys,
    So I am just gonna let it go, not pay her anymore and if she asks for it she can have it once she proves to me she has been paying them in accordance with the amount I have been giving her.
    If she kicks up a fuss she can do what she wants, normally someone who is honest and above board will have no problem showing you what you've every right to see.
    She can't take it out of my deposit as I didn't say a deposit to her.
    The only thing I'm worried about is that with her legal background will she try and serve me some stupid letter saying I have to give it to her.

Anyway,
    We'll see

I'm not annoyed about the amount, I'm annoyed that i'm giving her 80 a month which she is not paying towards bills.
    if the amount was 180 a month i would be fine even, as long as I knew that it was being put towards bills.

I've asked for it all already, she just turns it on me, saying I'm accusing her of pulling a fast one, which to be fair I haven't done.
    I politely explained that it's just a transparency thing and it's common practise in a house share, she doesn't own the house so everything is split evenly.
    The letters that came in were addressed to her to be fair, but having had 4 of each all of which said urgent, combined with her not being here for weeks on end, I opened one of each.
    I do feel bad about this but I do think if she won't show me them then there's something wrong and I'm right.
    I'm planning on moving at the end of May, I've notified her of this, to no response.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/21/section/53/enacted/en/html

I suggest you tread carefully. You have broken the law by opening someone elses mail. Of all the silly things you could do here, you've opened mail addressed to a barrister. The mind boggles!

€80 a month for bills is reasonable and you agreed to pay it. So stop asking to see HER bills and instead insist on a receipt from her or pay by transfer to her account.

Your housemate is on the hook with the service providers if she doesn't pay the bills, not you. Inform your landlord about your concerns if you believe she will not pay the bills, but do not discuss any more about opening letters addressed to her. That's serious trouble for you if your housemate finds out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JayZeus wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/21/section/53/enacted/en/html

I suggest you tread carefully. You have broken the law by opening someone elses mail. Of all the silly things you could do here, you've opened mail addressed to a barrister. The mind boggles!

€80 a month for bills is reasonable and you agreed to pay it. So stop asking to see HER bills and instead insist on a receipt from her or pay by transfer to her account.

Your housemate is on the hook with the service providers if she doesn't pay the bills, not you. Inform your landlord about your concerns if you believe she will not pay the bills, but do not discuss any more about opening letters addressed to her. That's serious trouble for you if your housemate finds out.

The OP's housemate may be on the hook for the bills but the OP will still suffer the consequences if the bills aren't paid.

• Advertisement

The OP's housemate may be on the hook for the bills but the OP will still suffer the consequences if the bills aren't paid.

With the landlord, perhaps, if her deposit is not returned, or of course should a service be turned off. That should then be raised with the landlord.

The main point I'm making is in relation to opening bills addressed to the housemate. I can understand why they did it but that doesn't mean it's actually okay. It's an offense under the SI to which I linked.

The OP should have raised their concerns with the landlord. He/She will be the one who has to straighten out any mess with the service providers should the OP's housemate do a bunk leaving unpaid utility bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The only thing I'm worried about is that with her legal background will she try and serve me some stupid letter saying I have to give it to her.

Anyway,
    We'll see

She can write whatever letter she likes. To get the money off you she'd need to go to court. A solicitors letter just means that someone spend a lot of money on a letter that has the same status as a letter from you.

Send her an email saying that since you are moving out you'd like to see the final bills before hand so that you can pay what you owe. Then the ball is in her court. And if she does go legal then you've offered to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The last time I left the 80 out she collected it at 5:10 am waking me by slamming the door on her way out, no thanks for leaving it out or a text to say I got it. Anyway, I must decide do I want the easier life or the hassle of asking for a bill again?

Her being a barrister is irrelevant. I wouldnt be surprised - i had an incident with a barrister before similar to yours (accommodation related) and they were shockingly trashy. I allowed myself to think they wouldnt carry on a certain way because of their profession - i was totally wrong.

Move out asap. Dont pay her anymore money.

JayZeus wrote: »
    With the landlord, perhaps, if her deposit is not returned, or of course should a service be turned off. That should then be raised with the landlord.

The main point I'm making is in relation to opening bills addressed to the housemate. I can understand why they did it but that doesn't mean it's actually okay. It's an offense under the SI to which I linked.

The OP should have raised their concerns with the landlord. He/She will be the one who has to straighten out any mess with the service providers should the OP's housemate do a bunk leaving unpaid utility bills.

The point is that the money is likely not being used towards bills at all so the OP is esentially throwing money away if that's the case. Its nothing do to with the LL and even if the fact the bills are not being paid will not result in the op being on the hook for them she is still handing over money that's being spent on something other than bills and that's wrong. How could you be happy handing over 80 euro a week which the housemate spending on petrol or make up etc.

I wouldn't give two damns about opening letters, the op could just say she opened it by mistake but personally* I'd open every bill that comes in and see what's the status of the esb, gas etc.

*not saying the op should but I would

As people said earlier the amount being requested for the bills is fine but I sure as hell wouldn't be giving it unless I was sure it was being spent on the actual bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

No need to tell her you opened her mail - burn/shred them. The fact that there were other previous letters with urgent on envelope is enough to give rise for suspicion as to whether bills were paid or not. So you only have to say you noticed 'urgent' marked on the previous envelopes and need to see an up to date bill to ensure your money is actually being used for its intended purpose - which it most likely isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

How did you think simply handing an arbitrary amount of money over to some stranger was a sensible idea, without any clear evidence as to what the money was being spent on?

You are asking to be exploited if that is your modus operandi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I'm not annoyed about the amount, I'm annoyed that i'm giving her 80 a month which she is not paying towards bills.
    if the amount was 180 a month i would be fine even, as long as I knew that it was being put towards bills.

Not defending her behaviour, but if you have agreed a flat fee for bills that is what you must pay, even if she gets utilities for free (doubtful) or paid for by someone else, you have obligated yourself to pay €80 regardless of amounts due to the companies.

davindub wrote: »
    Not defending her behaviour, but if you have agreed a flat fee for bills that is what you must pay, even if she gets utilities for free (doubtful) or paid for by someone else, you have obligated yourself to pay €80 regardless of amounts due to the companies.

There's nothing in writing.

As for opening bills - half the country would be in jail for opening bills not addressed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

There's nothing in writing.

As for opening bills - half the country would be in jail for opening bills not addressed to them

Oral contracts are sufficient in some circumstances.

• Advertisement

davindub wrote: »
    Oral contracts are sufficient in some circumstances.

If so the oral agreement was the housemate paid the utilities. Not doing so is a breach. Theft as well.

Advertisement