Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent SPD/Flat Hybrid Pedals?

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭

Im talking about ones with a flat pad on one side and an SPD clip on the other, I tried a pair of these ages ago but they were useless:

HighGear-SDN-072315-1.jpg

I want to give SPD another go this year but I like being able to hop on the bike and shoot down to the shops/friends houses without changing shoes every time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I recommend Shimano M324 pedals. They're metal/alloy and the flat side has good grip to use with regular shoes/runners. I have them on my MTB since last September and find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Crank brothers double shot pedals are the best out there IMO. You have enough float to feel you can move and can ride them unclipped if you have wrong shoes. Best of both worlds use the shortest pins if you are using them for shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I got Shimano M520 which came with a plastic platform clipped into one side of the pedal to use with ordinary shoes from CRC
    25 quid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I got Shimano M520 which came with a plastic platform clipped into one side of the pedal to use with ordinary shoes from CRC
    25 quid now.
    Does the plastic platform come with them?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I use these on my CX bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-a530-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod28050

Single sided. They're weighted in such a way that the SPD side is usually up, but they're fine on the flat side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I like the useless ones from the opening post. Had the single sided alu ones before and found them equally annoying with SPD shoes or trainers. Tried a few other spd / flat combo pedals since and find they always seem to come up the side i don't want and I'm left playing spin the pedal at lights. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thargor wrote: »

It did, when I bought it in early 2015

It did, when I bought it in early 2015
    Thanks everybody, just ordered a pair of these in Black, they have really good reviews and the detachable platform is a great idea:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Can't remember which bike shop it was, but I was handed a pair of those plastic cages for free in one. May have been cyclezone in blanch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use these on my CX bike:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-a530-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod28050

Single sided. They're weighted in such a way that the SPD side is usually up, but they're fine on the flat side.

Same here. They work very nicely...

Im waiting on a replay from CRC on whether or not my original choice includes the flat add-on, its looking like it doesnt, Im just going to cancel and order a pair of those if thats the case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Im waiting on a replay from CRC on whether or not my original choice includes the flat add-on, its looking like it doesnt, Im just going to cancel and order a pair of those if thats the case.

Last time I ordered m520s (Wiggle AFAIK) they did not come with any flat converters.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Shimano A530 's for me on the commuter, hardly ever use the flat side though, they do work but can be a little slippy

No platform adapter with the M520s anymore so Im going with these a 530s:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-pedals-spd-pd-a530-black-35259

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No platform adapter with the M520s anymore so Im going with these a 530s:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-pedals-spd-pd-a530-black-35259

I just ordered those as a first set of clip in pedals for my road bike too. I live right in a city centre so like the idea of not having to clip in to get out of the city while getting used to riding clipless.

Cheapest I can find the black ones delivered is on Wiggle sending them to Parcel Motel for €4 instead of €6 to send them to the Republic. Black seems to be out of stock in a lot of places, just Silver left.

devonp wrote: »
    Shimano A530 's for me on the commuter, hardly ever use the flat side though, they do work but can be a little slippy

I used the flat side of my A530s for the first time in ages today. They were more grippy than I remember, was wearing a pair of Converse.

Is the pad big enough for your foot?

Ah yeah, the flat side is the same size as a regular pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I have 530's on one of my bikes. I find the flat side dangerously slippy in wet conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No platform adapter with the M520s anymore...
    I have been using M520's on my fixie for several years and have gone through about 5 pairs of them and have never seen an adaptor supplied.

(I wouldn't use it anyway - for short journeys in 'ordinary' shoes they are fine).

Ah sh1te I received a pair of M530s instead, they're not hybrid (plus they seem to weigh a ton). Thats a pain I was going to try them out down to Glendalough at the weekend.

Everyone seems to be selling silver A530s and the black ones are 20% more expensive on Amazon and Ebay, do you think there are any bike shops around Dublin where I could get a black pair tomorrow?

Advertisement