Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climber to deter kids from sitting on wall.

Options
  • 24-04-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

oap here so would like somethig fast growing but easy to cut back.

I have a 5ft high wall which is 9" wide and makes a handy perch for sitting on:D

I have thought of all the thorny options, like roses, pyracantha, berberis etc,
    but is there any climber like clematis, raspberry canes etc but have tiny sprickly stems on them, that if you once put your fingers up on the wall they would make you think twice.

Any suggestions like this appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Brambles?

Seriously ...blackberries make lovely jam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Anti-burglar paint
    Whether it will stop a burglar or not is hard to know, but it will stop people sitting on the wall
    http://www.paintshop.ie/Anti-Vandal-System/Anti-Intruder-Paint.aspx

You could also use grease which might work out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

If one of them gets cut or hurt ...well, dunno how you're going to get sorted.
    No offence but i will think like those teens could be my kids or yours ...
    Try taking with them,display some warnings of private property and so on.

I had simillar issues with them years ago,tresspassing the high wall from one estate on to another.
    Caught them live few times, went out and explained that they could break a hand,a leg or worse their neck by shortening their journey with few minutes. Warned that i am not willing to call the paramedics if they get hurt, as they been told about the consequences !
    I guess it went to their teens brain as i didnt see them again over.

Be wise at your age...don't go lower at their level as they will beat you with their ignorance and stupidity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on the paint - use it myself. Blackberry bushes are what we have planned - love blackberries!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

rolion wrote:
    Be wise at your age...don't go lower at their level as they will beat you with their ignorance and stupidity

When I was a kid it was common for homeowners to cement shards of broken glass on the top of the wall or use barbed wire. Likely illegal now so don't! When did the law change to favour the delinquent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

When I was a kid it was common for homeowners to cement shards of broken glass on the top of the wall or use barbed wire. Likely illegal now so don't! When did the law change to favour the delinquent?

Ahh those were the days !! :D

The only legal stuff now is anti climb paint.

Showing your age there! Occupiers Liability Act stems from 1995 but it was arguably always the case that broken glass on walls would be reckless disregard, it's just that if Jonny went home with a but from climbing somewhere he shouldn't he'd have got a clip round the ear rather than a solicitor.

Now I don't believe in this litigious society rubish but people so seem to have become ridiculous about their kids over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Years ago I lived in a place with loads of kids. I had high walls and low walls and put graphite grease on both. Supposedly some young fella put his finger in the grease on the low wall and applied some to his bicycle chain, taking (allegedly) the top off his finger in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Dog plops

Dog plops

Tried that myself, got bitten by the dog trying to put the bloody thing on the wall...

... I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm leaning towards climbing roses but I don't think they do actually climb.

Would blackberries gooseberries etc flow over the top of this 5ft wall I wonder, but don't they only last 2yrs and die, would be nice to have a bit of
    fruit on da side:D

Dont want to use a deterrent like anti climb paint/grease as it could draw kids on you in a revenge
    attack. They love a challenge these days and its something for them to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Anti pigeon spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how about putting half blocks on top of the wall. leave a gap between them .

its all about making it uncomfortable for them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

danjo-xx wrote: »

Would blackberries etc flow over the top of this 5ft wall I wonder, but don't they only last 2yrs and die, would be nice to have a bit of
    fruit on da side:D

Brambles overgrow bloody everything given half a chance...I'm cutting them down with a machete these days.

But then...those are wild ones, not garden center sissies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

how about putting half blocks on top of the wall. leave a gap between them .

It's all about making it uncomfortable for them
    Something like this could be the solution. Think along the lines of what businesses are installing to deter homeless from sleeping outside their premises.

Maybe cement pebbles along the top of the wall like this?

stock-photo-white-stone-wall-texture-white-stones-in-the-park-decorative-stone-decorative-background-of-581419792.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

That rhubarb is mental looking! Can you eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

peasant wrote: »
    Brambles overgrow bloody everything given half a chance...I'm cutting them down with a machete these days.
    A slash hook is my weapon of choice for brambles. I have a billhook for close quarters battle but it's not great. Would love to try a machete.

Walking around with a slash hook would probably deter the kids from sitting on the wall. :pac:

Wheety wrote: »
    Something like this could be the solution. Think along the lines of what businesses are installing to deter homeless from sleeping outside their premises.

Maybe cement pebbles along the top of the wall like this?

stock-photo-white-stone-wall-texture-white-stones-in-the-park-decorative-stone-decorative-background-of-581419792.jpg

Not a bad idea, or would a lintil along the top be a deterrent.

precast-wall-caps-and-copings_1_th.jpg

or red bricks like this but laid sloping width wise not length wise.

51.jpg

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    If one of them gets cut or hurt ...well, dunno how you're going to get sorted.
    No offence but i will think like those teens could be my kids or yours ...
    Try taking with them,display some warnings of private property and so on.

I had simillar issues with them years ago,tresspassing the high wall from one estate on to another.
    Caught them live few times, went out and explained that they could break a hand,a leg or worse their neck by shortening their journey with few minutes. Warned that i am not willing to call the paramedics if they get hurt, as they been told about the consequences !
    I guess it went to their teens brain as i didnt see them again over.

Be wise at your age...don't go lower at their level as they will beat you with their ignorance and stupidity ;)

How can I be blamed if one of them gets hurt, for growing rose bushes/pyracantha/brambles etc etc in my garden. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

danjo-xx wrote:
    I have a 5ft high wall which is 9" wide and makes a handy perch for sitting on

How about a fast growing shrub that once over the wall grows outwards leaving no room for sitters. Easy to control. Nobody hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

A cheap tin of grease

A cheap tin of grease

Sounds good all right, BUT-
    the trouble with that is, it is seen as 'intentional' which it is of course, and can invite 'pay back' as I've seen in the past many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A relative had this problem too.

Got "railings" put on top of the wall with very stylish pointy tops. All legitimate and all good. No loiterers left now. But the wall was not 5ft! Must be tall people perching there....

Just get the railing toppers on and will be fine.

Advertisement