Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for holiday home

Options
  • 25-04-2017 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

As title says, I'm looking to install an alarm system to a holiday home - home wouldn't be used much in the winter

3 bed dormer that's not prewired for sensors.

Ideally I would like the capability to have a text dialler that would not have a yearly subscription tied to it - camera triggered/activated by alarm would be a bonus, but house does not have a fixed internet service so not sure how this would work.

Would like to be able to set/reset also remotely

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

As title says, I'm looking to install an alarm system to a holiday home - home wouldn't be used much in the winter

3 bed dormer that's not prewired for sensors.

Ideally I would like the capability to have a text dialler that would not have a yearly subscription tied to it - camera triggered/activated by alarm would be a bonus, but house does not have a fixed internet service so not sure how this would work.

Would like to be able to set/reset also remotely

Thanks
    How remote is it? Is three H+ or 4G available in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I would say so, house is in Ballybunion town. V popular seaside town in Co Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can get remote cameras which you put a phone SIM in and which when triggered by movement, send a small version of the photo/s taken to a designated email address or as a text message attachment to a phone.

Some you can remotely control by sending special text messages to them and they will take a photo and and send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

cnocbui wrote: »
    You can get remote cameras which you put a phone SIM in and which when triggered by movement, send a small version of the photo/s taken to a designated email address or as a text message attachment to a phone.

Some you can remotely control by sending special text messages to them and they will take a photo and and send it back.

Thanks for reply,

Would prefer to purchase a system that had all functions inclusive. That way I would only need 1 sim to drive text messaging, email notification, camera stills/footage etc.
    I do appreciate this might not be possible of course.

Priority items for me are in the below order.

1. Shock perimeter protection
    2. Contact perimeter protection
    3. PIR cabibility
    4. Text dialler
    5. Remote alarm set/reset
    6. Camera functionality

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Without broadband in the house you are going to have to pay some charges.
    My first choice here would be a GSD wireless system. This would give you full app control with camera integration and alerts at €40 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The HKC 10/70 or Pyronix enforcer would be my two choices
    HKC is €59 per year for SMS and voice alerts.

It has an RF PIR cam so it will send you images to the app without requiring broadband. The GSD system does not support this as the cameras require broadband in order to view them.

Thanks for reply,

Would prefer to purchase a system that had all functions inclusive. That way I would only need 1 sim to drive text messaging, email notification, camera stills/footage etc.
    I do appreciate this might not be possible of course.

Priority items for me are in the below order.

1. Shock perimeter protection
    2. Contact perimeter protection
    3. PIR cabibility
    4. Text dialler
    5. Remote alarm set/reset
    6. Camera functionality

This system has a few extras besides photos: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alert-Pal-24Hr-Alarm-Safety-Security-Intruder-Fire-GSM-Camera-CCTV-Wireless-Kit-/281466855778?hash=item4188bb6162:g:N1kAAOSw4A5YnJev

If you trawled through all the 3G/GSM security listings on eBay and Alibaba, there is a good chance you might find a single do-all system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Evolution1 wrote: »
    . The GSD system does not support this as the cameras require broadband in order to view them.

Plenty of ways to do this via GPRS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

cnocbui wrote:
    This system has a few extras besides photos:

cnocbui wrote:
    If you trawled through all the 3G/GSM security listings on eBay and Alibaba, there is a good chance you might find a single do-all system.

OP, you can buy stuff like this, but if your home insurer is involved here then the system will have to be installed by a PSA registered installer and it has to conform to EN 50131.
    That stuff as linked above will not conform to that standard.

There are lots of PSA licensed installers in Tralee and Killarney.

kub wrote: »
    OP, you can buy stuff like this, but if your home insurer is involved here then the system will have to be installed by a PSA registered installer and it has to conform to EN 50131.
    That stuff as linked above will not conform to that standard.

There are lots of PSA licensed installers in Tralee and Killarney.

So how much would you charge to supply and install a system that would meet the OP's requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

cnocbui wrote:
    So how much would you charge to supply and install a system that would meet the OP's requirements?

We do not give out prices in the public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Interesting solutions offered here. Just one question then what do you do if you get a text indicating an alarm has triggered?
    I guess you are not living close enough to investigate yourself and if you have a couple of false alarms I expect the Gardai would be less than enthusiastic to investigate.
    Perhaps you have a local key holder or is there such a service available?

Having access via an app is the most common now. You can disarm the system.Check all the zones are OK & closed & rearm the system.
    Having a key holder nearby with the app on their devices would be ideal also.

Advertisement