Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord reporting my sister to PTRB

Options
  • 25-04-2017 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

So landlord has threatened to report my sister to PTRB because of damage to curtains,couch and carpet. She has a cat and cat hair has "ruined" the curtains, couch and carpet and they need to be replaced.

The landlord is selling up and only brought this up just as my sister was looking for a new place.

Because she is saving up for the deposit and first months rent she cant afford to pay any extra money to the landlord before she leaves. She already said the landlord can keep the deposit but apparently that isnt enough.

Now landlord is threatening her with reporting her to the PTRB and told her if she reports her she wont be able to get a new place to live. Is this even true? Any advice on what she should do? I personally think the landlord is doing to do up the whole house before selling anyway but wants my sister to pay some of the bill. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Of course she should pay for the damage her cat has caused, it does not mater what the LLs intension is, she damaged his property.

Was the cat approved to be there by the LL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Good luck to your sister when her next LL asks her for references!
    Would that genuinely never even occur to either of you?
    Your sister let her cat destroy someone else's property and she's not going to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Landlord​ is bang on ,

Her pet she allowed to damage the property she shouldn't have an issue paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

No guys I think you misunderstood, or i didnt explain it right. She is paying for it. The only problem is the time frame. She cant pay it now. But she can pay it within a few weeks. But landlord wants the money now or she is being reported to the PTRB, how bad will this be for her? Will it effect her ability to rent again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

No guys I think you misunderstood, or i didnt explain it right. She is paying for it. The only problem is the time frame. She cant pay it now. But she can pay it within a few weeks. But landlord wants the money now or she is being reported to the PTRB, how bad will this be for her? Will it effect her ability to rent again?

No it won't affect her. If she does indeed repay the LL within in a few weeks, he will be getting it from her 10x quicker than if he were to go through the RTB.

Tell her to put in writing to the LL that she will pay X amount (agreed with LL) by X date (a few weeks time).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Genuine question here. How can cat hair ruin the carpet, couch and curtains. Surely a good vacuum would sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Genuine question here. How can cat hair ruin the carpet, couch and curtains. Surely a good vacuum would sort that out.
    The cat people that I know fall into two categories;
    Own their own furniture.
    Have heavy "throw's" on the LL's furniture, and various toys that the cats can scratch with.

Why should the LL believe your sister would ever pay up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Also, cats can scratch/climb curtains. And sometimes just one curtain to the point where they almost shred the curtain! Had a friend that had a cat that destroyed one curtain - it climbed up the same place every day to get to a spot on the windowsill. Good thing tho my friend owned the curtains and had the ones provided stored away for when she was leaving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FanadMan wrote: »
    Also, cats can scratch/climb curtains. And sometimes just one curtain to the point where they almost shred the curtain! Had a friend that had a cat that destroyed one curtain - it climbed up the same place every day to get to a spot on the windowsill. Good thing tho my friend owned the curtains and had the ones provided stored away for when she was leaving.

I know they can scratch the shít out of things but the op explicitly mentioned cat hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I know they can scratch the shít out of things but the op explicitly mentioned cat hair.

Woops - missed the bit in the op "cat hair has "ruined" the curtains" :o

Maybe the cat was hanging on the curtains and left loads of hair behind lol. Can understand hair on the couch and carpets but on the curtains sounds like the LL is stretching the truth a little bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Erm would your sister not have , i don't know put the curtains in the washing machine and scrubbed the carpet with carpet cleaner and then vaccumed the place before the landlord came around for final inspection.

Just a mad idea ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I strongly suspect its not just 'hair' that is the issue here- I approved a bill for 2,300 for a deep clean of an apartment that had cats yesterday. Hair is an obvious issue- wholly aside from damage to the furniture- however, its far from the only issue. The scent of cat can be almost impossible to get rid of. Many people might not notice it- others, it'll hit them like a brick wall. If the landlord is trying to sell the property or get a new tenant- he/she will have to get it properly cleaned after the cat- alongside a strong liklihood of new curtains/drapes and restoration work for furniture.

I'm not anti-animal- I'm all for them having a good life. Locking them up in an apartment during the daytime while you're in work- is not a reasonable life for an animal- and its not their fault that they destroy the place. Sure you can get a scratching post and other toys for them- but thats sort of missing the point- and it doesn't do anything whatsoever for the scent they leave around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

And this is the reason I have tiled floors, roller blinds and wooden sofas with removable upholstery. Tenants are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

pwurple wrote: »
    And this is the reason I have tiled floors, roller blinds and wooden sofas with removable upholstery. Tenants are nuts.

And a tenant never ever sees the extent of the damage they caused.
    It's almost like telling a mother when her child is a sh1t. They are just blind to it.

A dude who sits beside me in work has an investment property too. He just let it a couple of weeks ago and is stuck about 25% below market value with the rules. He told me he stripped it completely. Took out everything except microwave, cooker, oven, fridge and whatever is on the list as essential. He even took out the bed, curtains, kitchen table and chairs. Because they all cost him money and always get damaged and he can't make that money back anymore when replacing them. Now he has let it and the tenant can get their own stuff in return for paying below market rate.

I'm interested to see how it goes for him. I think it will work out but time will tell. I guess he won't have an issue with torn curtains or soiled mattress, blown kettle, etc anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

rossmores wrote: »
    She shouldn't worry the PRTB is a tenant's organization

I wouldn't put it past the RTB to award damages to the tenant for the landlord not providing adequate scratch post facilities for the cat, such have been the bizarre and verbose decisions I've experienced with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

She cant pay it now. But she can pay it within a few weeks.

In fairness to the landlord, thats exactly the sort of thing people who have no intention of paying would say. Then in a couple of weeks there is another excuse, and then another...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In fairness to the landlord, thats exactly the sort of thing people who have no intention of paying would say. Then in a couple of weeks there is another excuse, and then another...

The cheque is in the post as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

An RTB case can be dropped at any time from the landlord. Let him open a case and drop it after your sister has paid.

And people wonder why most LLs don't allow pets. I think this illustrates the reasons very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

to OP, suggest to your sister that she offer to provide a legal agreement (with your sister picking up legal fees) which admits liability to a specific agreed amount, and schedules a prompt repayment schedule to an agreed amount and duration.
    This "may" go someway towards convincing the LL that your sister is not doing a bunk

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The amount of judgement on here is unreal. There probably is fault on both sides here but come on, bring some balance into it lads.

1. If the LL allowed pets they should have anticipated damage.

2. It's always a bad idea to have carpet in a rented property. Potential for destruction from all sorts (not just animals), far too high.

3. If he is selling the property anyway he likely won't be selling it with a suite of furniture included.

4. What about normal wear and tear? Soft furnishings don't last forever in the normal run of events.

Okay, OP, your sister should have got a through clean up done herself which may have helped her situation but I think the LL is going way over the top here if he allowed a pet.

If however he didn't allow pets that's a totally different story and he would have every right to be extremely pissed off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I strongly suspect its not just 'hair' that is the issue here- I approved a bill for 2,300 for a deep clean of an apartment that had cats yesterday. Hair is an obvious issue- wholly aside from damage to the furniture- however, its far from the only issue. The scent of cat can be almost impossible to get rid of. Many people might not notice it- others, it'll hit them like a brick wall. If the landlord is trying to sell the property or get a new tenant- he/she will have to get it properly cleaned after the cat- alongside a strong liklihood of new curtains/drapes and restoration work for furniture.

I'm not anti-animal- I'm all for them having a good life. Locking them up in an apartment during the daytime while you're in work- is not a reasonable life for an animal- and its not their fault that they destroy the place. Sure you can get a scratching post and other toys for them- but thats sort of missing the point- and it doesn't do anything whatsoever for the scent they leave around the place.

€2300 for a deep clean of an apartment? You're being ripped off.

Older cats are quite content to live indoors by the way. I have one that's 15 now and I've always left a window open for her. She used to be out all day every day, now she's hard pushed to stick her nose out once a day.

They're like people in that sense, they do settle down as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cat hair has "ruined" the curtains, couch and carpet and they need to be replaced.
    Clean / wash them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

pilly wrote: »
    The amount of judgement on here is unreal. There probably is fault on both sides here but come on, bring some balance into it lads.

1. If the LL allowed pets they should have anticipated damage.

2. It's always a bad idea to have carpet in a rented property. Potential for destruction from all sorts (not just animals), far too high.

3. If he is selling the property anyway he likely won't be selling it with a suite of furniture included.

4. What about normal wear and tear? Soft furnishings don't last forever in the normal run of events.

Okay, OP, your sister should have got a through clean up done herself which may have helped her situation but I think the LL is going way over the top here if he allowed a pet.

If however he didn't allow pets that's a totally different story and he would have every right to be extremely pissed off.

I totally and utterly agree with this. OP, let the LL open the case. If animals are allowed the wear and tear allowance is higher. I suggest you get your own quotes for cleaning the apartment to counter his estimates. Do NOT fork out a single penny at this point in time, i smell a rat. a BIG one. :mad:

Not getting in the 'locking them into an apartment is not a good life' remark,just saying that it's a ridiculous comment. Cats don't smell a lot unless they are not spayed/neutered. That smell you never get rid off but neutered cats are fine, it's quite easy to remove, done it every time I moved and I have LOTS of cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Thread just reinforces my decision never to rent to people with pets or children.
    It's always the landlords fault for allowing them, if they do damage.
    And next thing if you were evicting them for whatever reason there would be a picture of them on the front page of the paper and a headline castrating the evil landlord for making them homeless.
    Better off keeping it simple.
    Professional couples without pets or children only.

Not getting in the 'locking them into an apartment is not a good life' remark,just saying that it's a ridiculous comment. Cats don't smell a lot unless they are not spayed/neutered. That smell you never get rid off but neutered cats are fine, it's quite easy to remove, done it every time I moved and I have LOTS of cats.

Cats absolutely stink regardless, you can smell a house that allows cats inside before they open the door and the smell is impossible to remove. Really don't know why people allow them inside between the smell and the damage the mind boggles never mind why any LL would allow pets in his/her property.

That big rat you smell is called bias.

Cats absolutely stink regardless, you can smell a house that allows cats inside before they open the door and the smell is impossible to remove. Really don't know why people allow them inside between the smell and the damage the mind boggles never mind why any LL would allow pets in his/her property.

That big rat you smell is called bias.

says the person who won't rent to people with children or pets. I've rented for 10 years, always with pets - cats and dogs. never once did I not get my deposit back (in full) or was there any damage or smell left. You just don't know what you're talking about.Of course it's easier to discriminate isn't it? just putting another word on it.'professional' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Cats - no issue with indoor cats but they cause damage, plain and simple. They scratch and unnuetered male cats spray. They all shead like mofos! I specifically told potential tenants that my place has a cat in it previously, it's impossible to get all the hair out without spend large sums of money as above.

I'm confused as to why the LL would open a case to be honest, he's no need and certainly no need to wait to be paid, he simply needs to withold the right amount from the deposit. It would then be up to the tenant to open a case with the RTB should there be a dispute. Tenants should put a few quid away each month/week to make sure they have funds for the move.

@James - no pets is fine, no kids is discrimination and while I don't want to open the enforcement can of worms again, be aware of your obligations as a LL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cats - no issue with indoor cats but they cause damage, plain and simple. They scratch and unnuetered male cats spray. They all shead like mofos! I specifically told potential tenants that my place has a cat in it previously, it's impossible to get all the hair out without spend large sums of money as above.

I'm confused as to why the LL would open a case to be honest, he's no need and certainly no need to wait to be paid, he simply needs to withold the right amount from the deposit. It would then be up to the tenant to open a case with the RTB should there be a dispute. Tenants should put a few quid away each month/week to make sure they have funds for the move.

@James - no pets is fine, no kids is discrimination and while I don't want to open the enforcement can of worms again, be aware of your obligations as a LL.

The landlord probably only has 1 month's rent as a deposit- and while it may be sufficient for a deep clean- its not going to be enough for drapes/curtains/soft furnishings/furniture etc etc

Also- what the hell is the story with people saying that if the landlord permitted the tenant to keep a pet- he should expect damage and has no comeback if/when it occurs. Normal practice for landlords who do permit pets- is that a 'pet deposit' be paid- over and above the regular deposit for a property- refundable in full- if there is no damage or other remedial actions needed when the tenant vacates the property (such as a deep clean)..........

If you want to keep a pet- fine, that is your business- but it is your business, you have no right to expect a landlord, or anyone else, to shoulder the financial cost associated with you keeping a pet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement