Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord reporting my sister to PTRB

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

....... wrote: »
    Speak for yourself.

I have never smelled a litter tray in anyones home in my entire life.

Maybe there were no litter trays in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

... it stinks to my unacclimatized nose.
    Exactly. Every single house smells of something, be it of cat, dog, babies nappies, tobacco smoke, cooking or, worse of all, air fresheners or scented candles! The people who live there can't smell them as they're used to it, and anything different is immediately obvious to them. The same thing goes for those interminable threads about personal hygiene, with people who shower 4 times a day and get through industrial amounts of deodorant and shower gel, complaining about people who actually smell like human beings rather than a perfume factory.

Oh Im sorry, did you not understand my post? Perhaps I didnt put enough information in and you needed it fully spelled out. I will clarify:

Speak for yourself.

I have never smelled a litter tray in anyones home in my entire life. This despite being in many homes where people owned cats and had litter trays in the house. In some cases there were multiple litter trays because there were multiple cats in the house.

You must be used to the smell of it if you can't smell it then.

I'm sorry but it will come as no surprise to most people that sh1t and piss smell. No surprise whatsoever.

Alun wrote: »
    Exactly. Every single house smells of something, be it of cat, dog, babies nappies, tobacco smoke, cooking or, worse of all, air fresheners or scented candles! The people who live there can't smell them as they're used to it, and anything different is immediately obvious to them. The same thing goes for those interminable threads about personal hygiene, with people who shower 4 times a day and get through industrial amounts of deodorant and shower gel, complaining about people who actually smell like human beings rather than a perfume factory.

Agreed.
    I know my house smells of nappies, but i can't smell them at all anymore. Sometimes my mother tells me to get air fresheners and turn them up full when she visits. Hint hint.
    I'm under no illusions what my house smells of :)

• Advertisement

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Usually depends on the type of cat litter they're using, some of the cheaper ones stink before any pee or poop gets near them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Simples- take down any drapes/curtains and soft furnishings- and dump them. Do a deep clean- and then spend a few days baking and running a coffee percolator in the property. Depending on how bad it is- it may take more than a few days to get rid of the smell- but if you put lots of very strong coffee on for several days straight- and leave it bubbling away for hours on end- eventually- it'll help mask the smell somewhat.

Curtains/drapes/soft furnishings- are all a lost cause- just dump them- seriously, its a complete waste of time and money trying to clean them, its not going to work.

You can get odour blast bombs for the worse rooms- they're used regularly on boats and sometimes in hotel rooms- good ones are about 20 quid a pop- the natural odour ones (cotton or citrus tend to work a lot better than vanilla or any of the artificial ones) work best.

Repainting the property- will also mask the smell (with the smell of fresh paint).

In this instance the property is being sold- so its an exercise in trying to mask the smell- and make the property look as neutral as possible- however, you'd have to do something similar if you were retenanting it anyway- and arguably you'd have to a significantly better job- as certain odours will have permeated more than others.

If you can't get scent bombs- commercial odour neutralisers- like 'Citrus Blast' (for example) are the next best thing. If you're at a boat show- there is always at least one stand selling these type odour neutralisers/remediators. Trade shows for the hotel and hospitality industries- usually have a few people selling versions too.

What the OP needs to do- is mask it sufficiently that it isn't immediately obvious to any prospective purchasers who might be viewing it- once its sold- they can deal with it properly themselves at that stage (depending on how bad it is- they could take up all carpets etc- and start with a bare shell).

Maybe you have a bad sense of smell, I can smell cats outside never mind inside.

As for cats being "clean" and covering their s*it in the litter tray, lovely thought. The cat is walking on his own pee and sh*t and then walking around the house, up on counter tops and on furniture. If you want a cat keep it outside and it solves all these issues and maybe LL would be more inclined to accept people with pets too if they were being kept outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,256 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Cats absolutely stink regardless, you can smell a house that allows cats inside before they open the door and the smell is impossible to remove. Really don't know why people allow them inside between the smell and the damage the mind boggles never mind why any LL would allow pets in his/her property.

You're perfectly wrong on that point. Cats don't smell at all. You can sniff a cats fur and smell almost nothing - I wouldn't recommend the same with a lot of humans. The scent they rub on things from their cheek is undetectable to humans. Cats urine however stinks. If you/your friends have a house that stinks of cat urine then that reflects on you as a pets carer.

Our cat doesn't wee in the house because she's trained not to. She did it twice on the 3 years we have her and there were behavioural reasons on both occasions. Once she sprayed a couch for territory and it turns out another cat was coming in and eating her food. Solved the problem by getting a cat flap that reads her microchip and only lets her in and out. Simple pet ownership. On that occasion you could smell the utine the minute you walk in the door, and I know what it smells like.

Just because all the people in your experience can't manage their cats behaviour doesn't mean it's normal to smell cat urine in every house with a cat.

I've had a cat in 3houses over 3years with regular inspections and the landlord/letting agent never suspected a thing. No evidence exists of a cat in the house once her paraphernalia is hidden and everything is cleaned. No scratching, no hair and no smell.

On cat hair...
    Most cat owners know you need to keep on top of the cat hair on furnishings. Whether it takes the washing machine or hoover or sticky rollers for removing hair from clothes, it's easy enough if you keep on top of it. If the OP's sister let the cat hair build up to such an extent then that indicates the general level of attention to cleanliness in the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- this really isn't the right venue to discuss the welfare of pets- and that is the road we are rapidly traversing. Accordingly- I am going to close the thread- as I don't think the OP is going to get any further information of use to him/her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement