Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snapchat

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Impromptu sessions are a lot easier on Snapchat. Instead of empanelling a bunch of group chats which usually devolve into bickering and indecisiveness, you just stick up a snapchat story showing where you are and basically saying "we're here, where's everyone else, want to meet and have pints".

No other social media, at least in my view, makes it so easy to do unplanned stuff with a group. Hell, I've frequently made a last minute call to hop on the last dart or bus into town with absolutely no plan, and then just checked snapchat to see who's out and where they're pinting.

Presumably you could just whatsapp your groups to see where everyone was pinting too? Once you got on the Dart I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Glenster wrote: »
    Saying how great you are for not using social media and narcissism are definitely linked.

Has anyone said that on this thread?

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Has anyone said that on this thread?

I did. Just there.

I did. Just there.

It's an interesting take. But I wouldn't call you a narcissist as such tho, so stop being overly harsh on yourself.

It's an interesting take. But I wouldn't call you a narcissist as such tho, so stop being overly harsh on yourself.
    I agree with him. There is a certain amount of condescension, or perhaps resentful glee?, in the tone of those who can t wait to tell you their views on Facebook or Snapchat and 'here's why it's stupid' and (without the question having been asked) 'Here's Why I Am Not A Member'.

The nature of Snapchat is that nobody cares if you don't use it, and nobody really cares why you dislike it, nor, for that matter, some apocalyptic and rampant tendency towards narcissism.

If you don't use Snapchat, then by default, it does not affect you.

I happen to agree that individualism and the cult of the self is rising amongst millenials and Generation Z, but it's been happening for generations.

Nobody bats a weary eyelid when some middle-aged loon calls for flat taxes, quasi anarchy, mass privatisation and the institution of a libertarian paradise.

Yet some 20 year old doing a dog face is a great cause for concern?

Individualism and the elevation of an egotistical worldview is driven by mass consumerism, and Snapchat may be one small manifestation of this tendency, but it didn't start it and in the scheme of things, I consider it both harmless and fun and indeed, yes, useful.

What?

You cray.
    Yet some 20 year old doing a dog face is a great cause for concern?

Its a cause for joy, those filter are amaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I spent one afternoon amused by Snapchat but quickly got bored. My mid-30s sister has been obsessed with it for the best part of a year now and shows no sign of losing interest. I just don't get it. I can envisage an artist doing something interesting and creative with it, but generally it is just so dull.

Murrisk wrote: »
    I spent one afternoon amused by Snapchat but quickly got bored. My mid-30s sister has been obsessed with it for the best part of a year now and shows no sign of losing interest. I just don't get it. I can envisage an artist doing something interesting and creative with it, but generally it is just so dull.

No, it's great craic and culture. Get with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Presumably you could just whatsapp your groups to see where everyone was pinting too? Once you got on the Dart I mean?

You could of course, but if you're in a bunch of different such chats, a snapchat 'story' (AKA a snap that everyone in your contacts can view) is less tedious than having to copy the same message into multiple group chats.

Example: I have among others a Facebook chat group for a group of my college mates, another for some school folks, one which is a random mish-mash of friends who all met at a particular event, and most recently a chat with all my cousins.

Now, if I'm at a rugby match at Aviva and I'm wondering who might be up for a pint afterwards, I can either duplicate "hey, anyone at the match and hanging around after?" to all four of the above-mentioned group chats - or I can just put up a snapchat story of whoever I'm with at the time, with "Aviva section 513, pints ;)" as the caption. Now anyone else I'm mates with who happens to be at the match knows we're there and where to find us if they want to join. Conversely if you're more the type who follows than starts a session, you can just scroll through your stories and see everyone at the match and where they are.

In that sense it's like putting up a Facebook or Twitter status as opposed to sending messages to specific people - but I find that people check snapchat more often so you're less likely to miss people if you do it this way. I can't count the number of epic sessions which have grown organically from a snapchat story. Maybe it's just my mates, but it just seems more efficient - Facebook no longer shows you statuses in chronological order and it tries to guess which friends you're more interested in hearing from, whereas Snapchat just shows you everyone in your contacts, in chronological order, and tells you how long since the story was uploaded.

Twitter has the same all-encompassing and chronological functionality as Snapchat, but it's just not used for social calls among my age group (mid twenties) - it's used for news, business, announcements etc. Maybe others do use Twitter for this, but in my experience there's an unspoken rule that Facebook and Snapchat are for social calls while Twitter is for promotion and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

my daughter accepted a friend request from a hacker thinking it was a friend of a friend, she deleted after finding out but is now worried sick, can anything come of this with her account ? the poor child is in an awful state..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What are people's thoughts on people known as 'Snapchat Celebrities'. Are they just people who flog stuff or make announcements over it or something.

Is this shíte spread all over Snapchat or is it more of a rarity in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

My opinion on it changed when I saw 30 year old barristers in the Four Courts on it when I was down there instructing one of them. Absolutely hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What are people's thoughts on people known as 'Snapchat Celebrities'. Are they just people who flog stuff or make announcements over it or something.

Is this shíte spread all over Snapchat or is it more of a rarity in itself.

I don't follow any tbh....
    (briefly followed the hurling banter page off Facebook. ..but was too much talking/personal opinion and not enough hurling for my liking)

But I would follow certain farm organisation about sheep etc on it. ....guess if you just follow what interests you what harm....but doubt anyone takes snapchat celebs seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MightyMc92

Hey guys, im having trouble with using snapchat on a vodafone n8.The toolbar at the bottom stays open and wont go away when sending a snap to someone, this means that I cant save the snap if I want to because the toolbar is always in the way. Does anyone know how to get rid of this toolbar? its driving me demented:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Murrisk wrote:

You need to have groups of friends or at least one friend on Snapchat for it to be worthwhile. Having your sister on it is definitely not recommended and probably why you were immediately bored.

Advertisement