Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC freezes when playing videos. High CPU and doesn't stop until the mouse is moved

Options
  • 25-04-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Have an odd one but can't seem to find a solution online.

My PC locks up, albeit temporarily, while videos are being played.
    This mostly happens when watching videos on VLC but recently I've noticed that this has been happening on Facebook videos on Chrome. VLC wasn't running when this was happening in Chrome.

The whole screen freezes and the sound stops too. This will stay like this until the mouse is moved. When the mouse is move it all returns to normal and I can see that there was a spike in CPU usage.

Tried running virus scan/malwarebytes to see if they can detect anything. Doesn't seem to be a virus, initially at least.

I'm not sure what is using the CPU when this happens since it happens randomly. The only common thing that is open pretty much all the time is chrome. I'm fairly sure this was happening with Firefox too.

Any ideas on how I can identify what's causing it. GPU (970) drivers have been updated monthly and is still happening. The only thing that I think it might be could be the GPU firmware. There is an update and haven't installed it. Would that be recommended?

Advertisement