Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work day off question

Options
  • 25-04-2017 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question, i had asked for a day off a few weeks ago so i could bring my parent to a hospital appointment, nothing serious and this was approved by HR.

I put down in my time sheet that i would like to take this time as unpaid but they are now forcing me to use one of my holidays days.

Can they do this? There is nothing about it in my contract or employee handbook.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

You won't get unpaid holidays if you have holiday hours available.
    And getting unpaid holidays is very much an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

cml387 wrote: »
    You won't get unpaid holidays if you have holiday hours available.
    And getting unpaid holidays is very much an exception.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

davo2001 wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question, i had asked for a day off a few weeks ago so i could bring my parent to a hospital appointment, nothing serious and this was approved by HR.

I put down in my time sheet that i would like to take this time as unpaid but they are now forcing me to use one of my holidays days.

Can they do this? There is nothing about it in my contract or employee handbook.

Yes
    Unpaid leave is discretionary on the employers side.

Advertisement