Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017 - 13th May

Options
  • 25-04-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi all,

Scott-Orwell Wheelers is running the Noel O'Neill Trophy Race on Saturday 13th May. The race will be on the Khyber Pass Circuit in Phoenix Park. Entry is by Cycling Ireland Portal only.

NOTE: It was down in the CI handbook as this Saturday, but it has been changed.

Pre-Entry Link: for the 2017 Noel O'Neill Trophy. It's €15.

Event Particulars
    Noel will be dropping the flag at the race.
    Date: 13th May 2017 Saturday.
    Sign-On: Opens at 08:30. Closes at 10:00.
    Start Time:
    • A4 Race 09:30.
    • A1/2/3 Jr Race 10:30.
    Distance:
    • A4 Race 40km.
    • A1/2/3 Jr Race: 80km.
    Route: Khyber Pass Circuit

It's the day before the Shay Elliot National League race, if anyone is travelling and wants to make a weekend out of it.

The announcement article is Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017

20170513-NON-Poster.png

20170513-NON-Poster - Copy.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

Hi all,

Scott-Orwell Wheelers is running the Noel O'Neill Trophy Race on Saturday 13th May. The race will be on the Kypher Pass Circuit in Phoenix Park. Entry is by Cycling Ireland Portal only.

NOTE: It was down in the CI handbook as this Saturday, but it has been changed.

Pre-Entry Link: for the 2017 Noel O'Neill Trophy. It's €15.

Event Particulars
    Noel will be dropping the flag at the race.
    Date: 13th May 2017 Saturday.
    Sign-On: Opens at 08:30. Closes at 10:00.
    Start Time:
    • A4 Race 09:30.
    • A1/2/3 Jr Race 10:30.
    Distance:
    • A4 Race 40km.
    • A1/2/3 Jr Race: 80km.
    Route: Kyper Pass Circuit

It's the day before the Shay Elliot National League race, if anyone is travelling and wants to make a weekend out of it.

The announcement article is [URL="https://www.orwe

llwheelers.org/events/noel-o-neill-trophy/1073-noel-o-neill-trophy-2017"]Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017[/URL]

20170513-NON-Poster.png

20170513-NON-Poster - Copy.png

Is there prizes for A2/A3's or just first 8/10 overall?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Oooh, might have to come see this. I'm assuming this is the route or something similar? Could be fast and furious, though how do you Marshall Deer?

http://www.mapmyride.com/sc/victoria-english-river/khyber-pass-circuit-route-6564890

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seriously considering this but as I'm down South I'll be travelling early for the A4 race, likely to be plenty parking available nearby?

Unfamiliar with Dublin etc...

What are the numbers limited to in A4?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Seriously considering this but as I'm down South I'll be travelling early for the A4 race, likely to be plenty parking available nearby?

Unfamiliar with Dublin etc...

Pheonix Park has reasonable parking but it is the weekend and the Zoo is open so it is hard to say, any club spins from there at 9am made the car parks look quiet. The fact that it is early enough should mean your OK (except for all the other riders coming up/down).

Could you book a train or Bus online and get up in time?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pheonix Park has reasonable parking but it is the weekend and the Zoo is open so it is hard to say, any club spins from there at 9am made the car parks look quiet. The fact that it is early enough should mean your OK (except for all the other riders coming up/down).

Could you book a train or Bus online and get up in time?

Traveling by train for a bike race with a full compliment of supplies etc doesn't appeal at all.
    Likely I'd be there savage early anyway if I do decide to enter. Hopefully in that scenario I'd get parking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

dahat wrote:

Anyone know

Anyone know

40km balls out could be very tricky for 70/80 riders.

You'd probably be fine early enough. There's also a couple of car parks around the place if you failed to get parking on the main road or the north road behind the zoo.

The one at the papal cross would be closest I imagine. There are a couple more, but I'm assuming they're inaccessible due to the race. You would get away with parking at the Hole in Wall pub too early enough and a couple other local places.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tWUilx5l6XJ4GnlNESVDdCJf9_U&usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Great questions, I'll pass these onto our race organiser.
    royrogers wrote: »

I'll get back to you on this.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is the route or something similar? Could be fast and furious, though how do you Marshall Deer?

http://www.mapmyride.com/sc/victoria-english-river/khyber-pass-circuit-route-6564890

I think that route might be the other direction, as most riders are more familiar with taking left turns. The tight downhill turns before the S-bends will be the trickiest.

In regards to the Deer, they are a law unto themselves.

I believe it's 120 for each race. It's the CI maximum limit.
    Pheonix Park has reasonable parking. The fact that it is early enough should mean your OK

I'm hoping for a technical guide for parking areas, and where will be restricted access for the road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Good luck with this.Great to see racing back in the park and if it all goes well who knows.
    Just a footnote.Organisers can put any limits they wish on field sizes but 120 max is not a CI regulation.

• Advertisement

120 lads hammering around a 40km circuit...Crash mayhem....

120 lads hammering around a 40km circuit...Crash mayhem....

The circuit (being a lap) is only about 4 or 5 km if its the Khyber/Khyper route so it will be tight with 120 on it you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Should be 80 max on that route safely should come first not how many can we get in

The circuit (being a lap) is only about 4 or 5 km if its the Khyber/Khyper route so it will be tight with 120 on it you'd think.

And I'm out for that reason, too risky for me.
    Bad enough with 100 on a 25km lap.

I got some answers from the race organiser.
    royrogers wrote: »

Top Unplaced A2, A3 and Junior anyway. For Second Unplaced, it depends on entry numbers.
    I'm assuming this is the route or something similar? Could be fast and furious, though how do you Marshall Deer?

The route direction is still not 100% finalised.

The Deer, remain a law unto themselves.

I still believe it's 120 for each race.
    Pheonix Park has reasonable parking. The fact that it is early enough should mean your OK

Still no update on parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

The route direction is still not 100% finalised.

Do you know if the route has been finalised yet?

luapenak wrote: »
    Do you know if the route has been finalised yet?

Anti-Clockwise, finishing at the top of Kyber Rd.

Also pre-entry is closing this day next week, Thursday. Both races are 60% full.

https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/workbench/public/events?ref=C4F9606E0F254BE4F31354CA11A8B4154FD56AF4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Best of luck to those racing. On the subject of parking (and indeed getting to/from the race) it's worth noting that the OPW have started their seasonal weekend closures of the section of Chesterfield Avenue between the Aras/Phoenix Monument and the Mountjoy (westernmost) roundabout: http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,33866,en.html

This takes away a chunk of nearby "on-street" parking, and you may also need to allow a bit more time in getting around the park to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Anti-Clockwise, finishing at the top of Kyber Rd.

Thanks,

Is the A123 race handicapped or just a mass start with all cats ?

The trophy has been polished, ahead of this Saturday's inaugural Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017 race.
    Pre-Entry closes on Thursday evening with only 25 places remaining between the two races.

Pre-Entry Link: Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017 via Cycling Ireland.

416846.JPG

• Advertisement

Program for Saturday:
    • Sign-On Tent will be between Popes Cross Carpark and Khyber Pass.
    • Sign-On: Opens at 08:30. Closes at 10:00.
    • A4 Race: 09:30. A1/2/3 Jr Race: 10:30.
    • Roads will be closed from 08:30 until 13:00.
    • Prize giving 13:00 at Popes Cross.

There are still a few places remaining.

Pre-Entry Link: Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017 via Cycling Ireland.

Thank you to everyone who came to race and support today.

Results: Noel O'Neill Trophy 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Dropped by this morning ,

It was great to see Racing in the Park Again.
    Glad the wind and sun dried up the circuit a bit for the A1 2-3 race.

We now have a Nice new surface on the non cycle path side of the Khyber climb ..but everyones Strava goals are destroyed by the speed and times put in today by the riders.

Well done to all at Orwell Wheelers , Gardai and the Medical Team.

Looks like all went well ..hope this is the 1st of many races in the Park.

Advertisement