Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Comfortable Doing PE?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So, I'm a pretty sporty kid. Always have been, but recently (for the past year or so) I've started to feel uncomfortable doing PE and I just... don't want to do it. I don't know why, but all of the enjoyment that I once had for this subject is just gone. It went from my favourite subject to my least favourite. Not to mention that everyone in my class are absolute A-holes who're constantly picking on me and have no friends in my class.
    I live in Australia, and I go back to school tomorrow, and I have three terms left of PE for the year. I thought that you had the choice to not do PE for years 9-12 but I think that it might be compulsery like Maths and English, and there's no way that I can deal with another 4-5 years of this. Whenever I have a PE lesson, I always feel stressed and it's hard to concentrate on my other classes that day.
    I know that most people would just say "Suck it up! Everyone has to do it!" But it's easier said then done. I've been 'sucking it up' for almost 2 years now, and I just can't do it anymore, and it's beginning to make my school life even worse then it already was. I'm seriously not comfortable doing PE, I always feel awkward and nervous and, as said before, stressed. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

So, I'm a pretty sporty kid. Always have been, but recently (for the past year or so) I've started to feel uncomfortable doing PE and I just... don't want to do it. I don't know why, but all of the enjoyment that I once had for this subject is just gone. It went from my favourite subject to my least favourite. Not to mention that everyone in my class are absolute A-holes who're constantly picking on me and have no friends in my class.
    I live in Australia, and I go back to school tomorrow, and I have three terms left of PE for the year. I thought that you had the choice to not do PE for years 9-12 but I think that it might be compulsery like Maths and English, and there's no way that I can deal with another 4-5 years of this. Whenever I have a PE lesson, I always feel stressed and it's hard to concentrate on my other classes that day.
    I know that most people would just say "Suck it up! Everyone has to do it!" But it's easier said then done. I've been 'sucking it up' for almost 2 years now, and I just can't do it anymore, and it's beginning to make my school life even worse then it already was. I'm seriously not comfortable doing PE, I always feel awkward and nervous and, as said before, stressed. What should I do?

Different schools have different policies. I know in my old school it was optional for the last two years of school and if you didn't want to do it you could go to a supervised room to study instead. Talk to your class tutor or whoever and discuss it with them and see if you can reach an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

If you're polite and understanding about the whole issue, teachers can be really helpful with stuff like this. I'd bring it up to your PE teacher/your guidance counsellor/your favourite teacher - just chat to them about the whole thing and explain that you'd rather study quietly in another room or something, if that's possible. If teachers know that you aren't trying to take advantage/pull the wool over their eyes, they'll do their best to accommodate you (in my experience).

Advertisement