Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty in Getting Carer Allowance

• 25-04-2017 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I want to know what is the process for getting Carer's Allowance.

Is it means tested?

If someone is on disability allowance (but can still walk, talk, drive, cook, clean, basically someone who actually doesn't need a carer) can they sign someone on with ease to get carer's allowance?

I am not trying to scam the system, I know someone who is & I'm pretty sure that it's harder to get than they think, so I want to stop them in their tracks from pursuing it further. I don't agree with it so I want any information I can get please.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

DH90 wrote: »
    I want to know what is the process for getting Carer's Allowance.

Is it means tested?

If someone is on disability allowance (but can still walk, talk, drive, cook, clean, basically someone who actually doesn't need a carer) can they sign someone on with ease to get carer's allowance?

I am not trying to scam the system, I know someone who is & I'm pretty sure that it's harder to get than they think, so I want to stop them in their tracks from pursuing it further. I don't agree with it so I want any information I can get please.

Thanks!

Do you live with these people and/or have 24/7 cctv of their interactions? Because what the person you know tells you may not be the whole story. Caring and being cared for are deeply intimate and personal interactions. Neither party is obliged to share details with every busy-body who gets sniffy about matters. The approval of the application for the allowance will be vetted. If you have doubts, raise them by all means but be aware that you may well be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

If I understand your post they are planning on applying knowing full well they aren't needed?

It's nothing to do with the person claiming disability, it's the carer who has to prove they are needed and no it's not at all simple, a doctor needs to agree the person needs a carer and must fill in a form stating the reasons why.

TBH I'd save yourself the grief and not get involved. It's a very hard payment to get and unless they have a severe need for one it'll be turned down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

The "Carer" applies for the Allowance, so it's not a case of the person with the disability looking for the allowance or to have a particular person appointed as a carer.
    The carer is means tested not the disabled person.
    The disabled persons GP has to complete part of the form to illustrate the extent of the incapacity.
    The disabled person has to give written consent for the GP to complete the form.
    The disabled person you are describing wouldn't fulfill the criteria for Carers Allowance.
    If you are aware or suspicious that anyone is getting a SW payment or has applied for a SW payment fraudulently then you can report your suspicion providing as much information as you can ( name and address of applicant) anonymously.
    In the case of disabled or ill people it's important that they be protected from others who would take advantage of their vulnerability.

Advertisement