Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Hybrid please!

Options
  • 25-04-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Upgrading my bike, only used for 4/5 mile commutes on usually crappy city/suburb roads.
    My options in the €800-900 range are:
    • Merida Speeder 200
    • Cannondale Quick 3 Disc City Bike
    • Boardman Hybrid Team
    • Cube SL Road Pro
    • Giant Rapid 2
    Anyone got any idea which trumps the rest, or does it matter much? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hands down the new Rapid..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

not yet wrote: »
    Hands down the new Rapid..
    Hands down? Isn't that dangerous? :)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dickerty wrote: »
    Hands down? Isn't that dangerous? :)
    Thanks!

Tis, but sure isn't everything dangerous now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I wanted to buy local, so it was between Cube & Giant really for me.

I felt the SL Road Pro was just as good as the Giant and the 100e i saved i spent on Pannier/Mudguards and Kickstand.

I have no knowledge of bikes, so more experienced members may be able to help you with the component difference between the ones you listed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Thanks Moonboy.
    Likewise, I want to buy off a local guy who does my servicing, and he only sells the Merida. I don't think I care enough to go for another option, so I'll trust his judgement and give him the business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Thanks Moonboy.
    Likewise, I want to buy off a local guy who does my servicing, and he only sells the Merida. I don't think I care enough to go for another option, so I'll trust his judgement and give him the business...

No expert here and i could be completely wrong, but thought i would point it out

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/fitness/2016/speeder-200-4405.html

Going by that link it has the Sora 3500 components

Shimano did a refresh with Sora last year and that refresh is the Sora 3000 components you find on the Cube anyway.

Don't know if it makes a difference to you and i may be completely wrong as i say

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The boardman has the highest specced groupset with Tiagra and weighs about as much as the Merida. It does mean however mean dealing with Halfords. Some of the other frames might offer better comfort and relaxation. They'll hold value a little better too I'd think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Upgrading my bike, only used for 4/5 mile commutes on usually crappy city/suburb roads.

If it's not a particularly long route, then why not get a nice comfortable upright bicycle which you can use for everyday cycling?

Something like this beauty, with 7-speed hub gears: http://dutchbikeshop.ie/gazelle-heavy-duty-nl-gents-bike/

Advertisement