Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out and Tax

Options
  • 25-04-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Looking for guidance and advice.

, bought an apartment.

The apt was jointly bought with my father. The mortgage is in both of our names. And has remained since. The money is debit out of an account in his name.

The upkeep and repayments I have paid for. I deposited money into the account for the mortgage. furnishings etc all paid by me. It is a three bedroom apt , was occupied by me and other rooms were at times rented out to cover cost of mortgage.

I had to move away from the area for personal and work reasons

the apt has been rented out since .

I know have to declare it to revenue that i am renting it out.

What will the situation be because the property is in two names and the money is taken from my father's account.

For what it's worth my father has another property that he rents out and is declared to revenue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Who is getting the income? They pay the tax. No idea if the relief on the mortgage interest can be transfered, I'd suggest an accountant for atleast the first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

the rent is going into his account in his name but the account is solely for the apt, for paying mortgage and management fees , up keep etc.

no other income goes into that account

the rent is going into his account in his name but the account is solely for the apt, for paying mortgage and management fees , up keep etc.

no other income goes into that account

That doesn't answer the question - who is getting the benefit of the income, they would be the one liable for the income tax.

the money is lodged into the account

the out goings are for mortgage, fees and up keep

any excess is left in the account and is used for up keep when needed, there is very little profit ,

no one is getting any income as such

the money is lodged into the account

the out goings are for mortgage, fees and up keep

any excess is left in the account and is used for up keep when needed, there is very little profit ,

no one is getting any income as such

Someone is getting the gross income (income before expenditure). If you're struggling with even this, you definately need an accountant.

• Advertisement

i am getting an accountant just wanted a bit of guidance before going into one

thanks for your advice and help

The simplest way is probably to split the income and both pay tax on your portion (less allowable deductions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Nobody seems to be taking the income, I'll have it!!

begbysback wrote: »
    Nobody seems to be taking the income, I'll have it!!

The income is used to pay the mortgage and up keep as mentioned already.

The simplest way is probably to split the income and both pay tax on your portion (less allowable deductions).

Thanks , will bear that in mind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The apt was jointly bought with my father. The mortgage is in both of our names. And has remained since. The money is debit out of an account in his name.

Mortgage in both your names then declare it half each as it benefits you both in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- just because the rent is going into an account- and the mortgage etc is going out- and there is nothing over- does not mean you don't owe any tax........ Get talking to that accountant pronto..........

OP- just because the rent is going into an account- and the mortgage etc is going out- and there is nothing over- does not mean you don't owe any tax........ Get talking to that accountant pronto..........

I presume i will have to pay tax , sorry didn't mean to mislead in my replies that i thought i wouldn't have to pay tax.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I presume i will have to pay tax , sorry didn't mean to mislead in my replies that i thought i wouldn't have to pay tax.

Yes and not just in the little bit left. But in everything above and beyond 80% of the interest portion (minus qualifying expenses).

Talk to an accountant asap as there may be tax benefits to splitting etc

kceire wrote: »
    Yes and not just in the little bit left. But in everything above and beyond 80% of the interest portion (minus qualifying expenses).

Talk to an accountant asap as there may be tax benefits to splitting etc

Thanks for all replies

Meeting accountant next week .

Thanks for all replies

Meeting accountant next week .

OP I didn't mean to come across as an asshat earlier - I use an accountant myself and it's well worth the investment (which is tax deductible).

Advertisement