Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest - Drop in Gas usage

Options
  • 25-04-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Just got my gas bill this morning. The second one since the nest was installed which is five months ago now.

We didn't have a thermostat in the house before, just relying on a timer on/off. There was initial resistance from herself, having to "learn" a new device, sometimes at the start, the temperatures were way off, but since it's started learning & working based on the weather, it's been quite successful.

So the first gas bill came in after getting it installed & year on year we were €51 less expensive this year, second one in this morning & it's €58 less expensive. Usage - both units used & time on has dropped, with little intervention from us.

I'm hoping in the full year the device will have paid for itself (they'll probably have a newer model out then). Very happy with it.

Anyone else seeing the same results?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it depends very much on the type of person you are and how you use the heating.

If you are the type to just more or less leave on the heating all day, then yes, I'd expect you would see savings like this.

On the other hand if you are the type of person who micro manages your heating (only turns it on when you feel you need it) then I wouldn't expect any major change.

I fall into the latter category and didn't notice any major change (gas - Netatmo) but it was still 100% worth it just to be able to turn on the heating before getting home and thus being able to come home to a nice warm house and to be able to turn on the heat by voice while hiding under the covers in bed :D

For a micromanager type of person like me, there aren't really big energy savings to be made. But they allow an even greater degree of micromanagement which we love :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The mean temperature in Feb 2017 was 6.2 it was 4.4 in 2916, march 2017 was 7.7 it was 5.9 in 2016, April 2017 was 8.2 and 6.2 the year before

With heating unless you are looking at heating degree days you simply can't compare bills

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, does Netamo turn off the heating when you are out? That's the biggest saver that the NEST offers for most people, before we'd often be away for a day , night, weekend and the gas was on. Now it switches itself off

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    No, does Netamo turn off the heating when you are out? That's the biggest saver that the NEST offers for most people, before we'd often be away for a day , night, weekend and the gas was on. Now it switches itself off

Of course it does, if you want it to. It uses geofencing on your phone, just like Nest does *

* Nest also has sensors, but seemingly that is much less reliable.

That is my point about different type of people and potential savings. Even before getting a smart thermostat, we would never just leave the gas on all the time! We were the type of people to mostly have the heating off and only turn it on for two hours (boost) when we felt we needed it.

I should point out that I live in a relatively modern home, that is very well insulated, so it only needs a little heating anyway.

On the other hand, people like yourselves ted1, would see big savings with Nest/Netatmo and other smart thermostats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'm saving at least an hours heating a day with a Netatmo and the house feels warmer. When i first installed it our temps were hitting 21 degrees in the evening, I always found it too much. Slowly over time I've reduced that to 19.5 and nobody has complained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Installed Nest last October. Each bill was much less than last few years comparable time frames. Happy out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have my nest on a oil heating system. Previously I would have had heating on for about 2.5hrs min a day just because of the time at this time of year.

Looking at the history I can see that some days it hits this but most days recently its 30min-1hr so def saving some oil. Thats only a good thing!

Advertisement