Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Overgrown Plant Query

Options
  • 25-04-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

415635.jpg

Just hoping you can help answer the below for me. Our neighbour has a plant by a wall with us that has become overgrown and is really after creeping into our garden. We asked them to prune it back but so far, several weeks later, they haven't done anything. What's the done thing in these situations? Should I cut it back on our side, collect the cuttings and leave them by their front door? Do I cut and throw into their garden as I go?

Really just looking for what normally happens in these situations.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just cut your side and pop the cuttings into your brown bin or compost. You'd have to ask yourself if ten minutes work is worth a negotiation, amicable or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

endacl wrote: »
    Just cut your side and pop the cuttings into your brown bin or compost. You'd have to ask yourself if ten minutes work is worth a negotiation, amicable or otherwise.

Thanks. Will do that so. Was just slightly miffed as they have caused some issues recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

endacl wrote:

You must offer the neighbor the cuttings as technically they belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had thought I would but I guess that'd probably just be a mean thing to do.

Cut it back and leave the cut offs in their parking spaces :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

It seems annoying that they have not dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Life is too short for conflict over matters like this. It's not a big job op, I'd just cut it back from your side and throw the clippings in your brown bin. Dont throw the clippings over the fence, You've to live next door to those people, you don't want awkward situations every time ye meet!

If they're genuine folk, it's possible they think it's just sitting on top of the wall? They might not realise that it's so far into your garden?

If they're assholes then just ignore them and cut it. They'll never be any the wiser anyway, I would imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

I wouldn't leave the cuttings at their front door in case they are stolen, it would be safer to push them in through their letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's just an ivy, cut it back and pull the suckers off your side of the wall (they will leave marks though).

Personally I'd leave it though, it looks good there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

That is not true.
    sunny2004 wrote: »
    It seems annoying that they have not dealt with it.
    They cannot deal with it, its not in their property. You cant enter another persons property to cut a plant that originates in your property.
    But you the OP is within his/her right to cut away all plant within his/her boundary.
    And the cuttings are the OP, they were cut from the OP property.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

That is not true.

Yes it is.
    They cannot deal with it, its not in their property. You cant enter another persons property to cut a plant that originates in your property.

The plant in question originates in the neighbour's property. The OP is entitled to cut all overhanging growth so long as they don't render it dangerous (really only applies to larger trees). They should offer the cuttings to the neighbour, but must not just leave them on their property.

Not the case here and likely something that rarely ever comes up, but if you need access to a neighbours property to safely remove overhanging growth and the neighbour doesn't cooperate, you can apply for a works order via the district court.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Interestingly, if it was an apple tree overhanging, any fruit would belong to the neighbour. Unless they dropped, at which point they'd be your apples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't think twice about cutting back ivy growing into my garden from a neighbouring one.

that said, when i was a kid, our next door neighbour cut the ivy - which was growing on his side - and left it hanging over the wall. which was a bit stupid, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd trim it a bit but I think it looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Keep it well trimmed and away from the house and pipe work. Ivy will root into the smallest cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

It will destroy your fence if you let it get a hold. Unfortunately this will keep growing back. So it will become an annual job.

Advertisement