Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False negative?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone. So I stopped the pill on 22nd March. I got my normal breakthrough bleed on March 25th which lasted 5 days. I have been using the pull out method with my boyfriend since, and I have not got a period since last month. I took a strip pregnancy test 2 days ago which was negative. I stopped the pill before and I don't think my cycles have ever been this far apart. Could it still be possible that I may be pregnant? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Hey everyone. So I stopped the pill on 22nd March. I got my normal breakthrough bleed on March 25th which lasted 5 days. I have been using the pull out method with my boyfriend since, and I have not got a period since last month. I took a strip pregnancy test 2 days ago which was negative. I stopped the pill before and I don't think my cycles have ever been this far apart. Could it still be possible that I may be pregnant? Thanks.

Yes most pregnancy tests go by a hormone produced when pregnant, it is very possible your body just is not producing enough to register yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

This early, especially if you don't have a standard 28 day cycle, it's possible you could be pregnant and the hormone isn't strong enough to detect yet. However, it's equally as likely that coming off hormonal contraception has put out your normal cycle.

Definitely don't do the pull out method if you both are not comfortable getting pregnant. While it worked for my hubby and I for four years before actively trying for out first, we had both agreed that if I became pregnant it wouldn't be the end of the world for us. Also to note the second time round pulling out didn't work, but we really always wanted two anyway and don't mind having another.

Wait a week and retest if you still do not have your period, and if it's negative and you are still concerned, talk to your doctor.

Advertisement