Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Broken. Where to go next...

• 25-04-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Its been a while since I took my (Olympus) camera out in anger but I've been thinking about getting back to photography again. I miss it!
    I took my camera on holiday and long story short I was heartbroken to find it broken. I also managed to somehow loose my OM 50mm lens.
    Im thinking about getting a new camera and now would be a good time to switch to a new brand. I've heard good things about Sony lately and Nikon has always drawn my eye....
    So two questions really.Which brand and camera would you guys recommend? (I've discounted Canon as I've heard the focusing isnt as hot).
    I've always only owned an entry level camera so I'd definitely like to get my hands on something meatier but without breaking the bank. My last camera was mirrorless and I dont mind mirrorless/traditional DSLR. Im looking for bang for the buck and easy access manual controls.

Thanks all :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi all,
    Its been a while since I took my (Olympus) camera out in anger but I've been thinking about getting back to photography again. I miss it!
    I took my camera on holiday and long story short I was heartbroken to find it broken. I also managed to somehow loose my OM 50mm lens.
    Im thinking about getting a new camera and now would be a good time to switch to a new brand. I've heard good things about Sony lately and Nikon has always drawn my eye....
    So two questions really.Which brand and camera would you guys recommend? (I've discounted Canon as I've heard the focusing isnt as hot).
    I've always only owned an entry level camera so I'd definitely like to get my hands on something meatier but without breaking the bank. My last camera was mirrorless and I dont mind mirrorless/traditional DSLR. Im looking for bang for the buck and easy access to manual controls.

Thanks all :D

Many Canon owners would disagree with you ( me included)

Whats your budget...it would help people point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I've done zero research into which brand tbh. But for some reason in my mind Nikon seems more attractive than Canon. But not ruling Sony out at all!
    Budget not fully settled but under a grand for sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW, i've always found the budget canons to be more plasticky feeling than budget nikons.

Sony Alpha a6300 worth looking at if you're not hung up on it being an SLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

I recently got a Sony A68 body only for €500 and got a Sony 16-105 lens secondhand from Japan on eBay for under 250 including duty. Lens was practically new and is 600+ new here. Very happy with that combo so far.

• Advertisement

Hmm the 6300 is a tad pricey, considering its over a grand with just the one lens. Looks great though.
    The A68 might be more up my alley....cheers. Ill have a look into that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hmm the 6300 is a tad pricey, considering its over a grand with just the one lens. Looks great though.
    The A68 might be more up my alley....cheers. Ill have a look into that now.

Is the A68 a-mount? The a6xx series (as well as their full frame A7x cameras) are E-mount.

Almost all the latest Sony releases are E-mount is definitely where they are heading long term.

Plus E-mount camera can use virtually any other lens via an adapter.

Is the A68 a-mount? The a6xx series (as well as their full frame A7x cameras) are E-mount.

Almost all the latest Sony releases are E-mount is definitely where they are heading long term.

Plus E-mount camera can use virtually any other lens via an adapter.
    seems like its A mount. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Hit the stores if you can and hold some of the cameras..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If I was starting again I'd probably go with Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

seems like its A mount. :(

Yes it is..... Sony are continuing with the A-Mount, they have also released their flagship A99 Mk 2 in the last few months as well.

Seems like sony is the way forward then. I see the sony a6000 is about 650 in currys. i be better off holding out for the 6300?

http://bestmirrorlessblogs.com/comparisons/sony-a6000-vs-a6300-comparison/
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/sony-a6300-vs-a6000

much better autofocus (in terms of moving subjects etc)
    much better viewfinder
    partial weatherproofing.
    better video

cheers all. I guess Ive got a target to save for now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

Have a look at Fuji also. If you can stretch to it then the XT20 is absolutely fantastic otherwise the XT10 is a great alternative.

I use the XT10 and 27mm f2.8 as my holiday/walk around camera and it works well. Won't suit everyone so depending on what you like to photograph it might be a good option? You should he able to get both for about €700 second hand.

I took a bit of a left turn. I ordered an Olympus OM-D E-M10 II body(silver) to use with my existing lenses and flashguns.
    Its number two on this list.
    I decided that I wanted the Sony A6300 and that made me take stock. It costs roughly 1000 and Id want to get a few lenses etc that would increase the cost. I ordered the new body for 460 delivered so that will be the end of my spend. My Yongnuo flash guns will work and my lenses will work and so there should be no further cost. Im getting back into photography and I think this is the most cost effective way.
    Thanks everyone for the advice though!

Advertisement