Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best box for Kodi setup

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

stimpson wrote: »
    I was reading last week where google were banning resold student accounts. What would worry me is that while they may not care now, they may change their mind in future and you could lose all your media.

They are closing the accounts being sold on ebay for 15 quid. Nobody with a personal domain has had their account closed. I've not turned off my Plex server or stopped downloading at home as I'm still testing the waters, not depending on it. Google are releasing an encryption tool, some on Reddit are beta testing, I'm hoping Plex adapt to support it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Happy to see an interesting discussion of media player/storage options etc. but please take note of the stickey at the top of the forums about copyright material etc - please do not let this topic stray into the area of obtaining/downloading movies/tv series from "unofficial" sources etc. - I don't want to see this thread bite the dust.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Got the shield. What an amazing piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

keano25 wrote: »

Both myself and one of my mates were able to go from having 3 boxes to just the Shield as it could do everything we needed. Also got rid of the chromecast so the Shield replaced 4 pieces of tech for me. Great investment.

The shield & the Mi are the only android boxes to go for in my opinion. I couldn't be bothered messing around with the other ones running tablet android.

A lad asked me to buy a Mi for him online the other week, so I did. Went to give it to him and he said 'sorry I bought an android box with all the movies from someone for €100'. Poor form and his loss. Probably stuck with one of those €30 mxq ones with a crappy free 'build'. If he tried the official ATV box he'd regret that purchase. I was only charging him cost price (€85) for the Mi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've been through a Mac Mini, a BluRay player with Plex app, another Mac Mini, an Apple TV, a Steam Box, a Humax Freesat box running custom firmware and a 2015 Shield.

Now it's just the new Shield (only bought to get the remote and new controller) and the XBox One. It really is a slick bit of kit. If Plex for XBox could pass through HD audio I might be tempted to get rid, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

I've been through a Mac Mini, a BluRay player with Plex app, another Mac Mini, an Apple TV, a Steam Box, a Humax Freesat box running custom firmware and a 2015 Shield.

Now it's just the new Shield (only bought to get the remote and new controller) and the XBox One. It really is a slick bit of kit. If Plex for XBox could pass through HD audio I might be tempted to get rid, but I'm not holding my breath.

The ATV plex app is also my favourite out of all the ones I've tried (PS4, fire tv, rasplex, roku). So clean, fast and easy to use. Voice commands are great as well when you're too lazy to use the on-screen keyboard.

Oat23 wrote: »
    The ATV plex app is also my favourite out of all the ones I've tried (PS4, fire tv, rasplex, roku). So clean, fast and easy to use. Voice commands are great as well when you're too lazy to use the on-screen keyboard.

The lack of support for HD audio and 4K was the problem there. Apple have been dodgy on audio formats for a while. I remember my first Mac mini dropping g 5.1 support over optical after an OS upgrade. The fix was to copy a library from the old OS. Seems like they just did it to stop people using it.

The lack of support for HD audio and 4K was the problem there. Apple have been dodgy on audio formats for a while. I remember my first Mac mini dropping g 5.1 support over optical after an OS upgrade. The fix was to copy a library from the old OS. Seems like they just did it to stop people using it.

Crap. I forgot ATV is what people call the apple tv! Never used apple myself.

I meant android TV :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

keano25 wrote: »

If you're looking for a great all-in-one emulation solution for the Shield, I can't say enough good things about RetroX. Well worth the price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you're looking for a great all-in-one emulation solution for the Shield, I can't say enough good things about RetroX. Well worth the price.

What price? They don't seem to have it listed anywhere.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Crap. I forgot ATV is what people call the apple tv! Never used apple myself.

I meant android TV :o

Ah. No arguments there!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What price? They don't seem to have it listed anywhere.

$12.99. You buy it directly from them and get a key.

$12.99. You buy it directly from them and get a key.

Looks like it's basically the Android version of Launchbox? Never heard of it but I might have to pick it up. Launchbox was well worth buying for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

Use Parcel motel/parcel wizard/address pal. I got mine on Amazon

Thanks, went with this. Ordered on Tuesday night and picked it up from Parcel Motel last night.

Had a quick play around with it and very impressed so far. Have a couple of .mkv files with Dolby Atmos on them and the sound would actually blow you away.

Only thing I noticed so far is that the Netflix app is not showing HDR titles anymore, I'm going to check out the HDMI cables to ensure everything is ok there but all in all extremely impressed so far. Used my S8 to setup everything and it was all pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I see Nvidia are currently giving six months free plex-pass with the Shied. Ending June 24th.

Advertisement