Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC build, need some help/advice

Options
  • 25-04-2017 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

1. What is your budget? [€1000-1400]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/software development] (Just being able to play everything extremely well)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Paypal/Debit]

9. When are you purchasing? [1-3 months]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No need]

Basically I've been looking at the i7 7700k and GTX 1080ti but I'm not sure what else I need. I'd like everything else to be bang for your buck so to say.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not sure a 1080TI is realistic on a budget of 1400, you'd build a very nice system with a gtx1070 for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

What monitor would you be using? 1080ti isn't really that good in terms of bang for buck and at 1080p would be a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can't get a 7700K + 1080Ti for your budget, just those 2 parts are €1150.

You could almost build a full Ryzen 5 PC for that:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€234.87 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.15 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (€121.76 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card (€547.62 @ Mindfactory)
    Case: Zalman Z1 Neo ATX Mid Tower Case (€45.92 @ Mindfactory)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€81.61 @ Mindfactory)
    Total: €1150.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 17:10 CEST+0200

(needs a 240Gb SSD + 1-2Tb HDD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Above build is good but assumes you're running a 1440P monitor really - if just 1080P even a GTX1070 is overkill though longevity will be good at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Geryn

I should have mentioned I have amazon credit of £100 beforehand which I didn't include in the budget.
    Also the 1-3 months for when I buy is to extend the original budget posted if i need to since i'll have more to spend. I don't really want to though. Want to stick with what I've posted

My monitor is also just a 1080p 144Hz.

Mainly I'm just looking for a beefy build for the original price mentioned that is a steal or cost efficient to play games with ease on top settings if possible but also have the specs for programs like Vegas pro, when creating stuff on Unity and Unreal game engine like a breeze.

If I'm honest I'm happy to stick with 1080p for the meantime so if I see no real difference with certain stuff because of that and I can get something cheaper that's just as good with 1080p I will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Above build is good but assumes you're running a 1440P monitor really - if just 1080P even a GTX1070 is overkill though longevity will be good at that resolution.

Nothing against you specifically Terror, but I really hate comments like this.

It comes up every new generation, and has been happening for as long as I can remember, and it's wrong. (And I say this as a 1080p gamer who's run a 480, 580 (and SLI), 680, 780, 970 and 1070.

Will the difference between cards be greater at higher than 1080p resolutions? Yes. Does that mean a 1070 or higher class card is a bad investment? No.

Actually I meant that specifcally in the context of a GTX1080 being recommended in the build. In the sense that 'even a GTX1070 is technically overkill for 1080P let alone a GTX1080'. I wasn't advising against actually buying the card and I even said that longevity will be good.

Of course the big problem at the moment is that the next card down is the GTX1060 6GB which is a lot slower and is going to show it's limitations very soon at 1080p. If someone has the budget for a GTX1070 I'd never not recommend it at 1080p - I think that post of mine was just taken out of the context in which it was meant.

I have a GTX1070 on a 1080P monitor myself at the moment!

Actually I meant that specifically in the context of a GTX1080 being recommended in the build. In the sense that 'even a GTX1070 is technically overkill for 1080P let alone a GTX1080'. I wasn't advising against actually buying the card and I even said that longevity will be good.

Of course the big problem at the moment is that the next card down is the GTX1060 6GB which is a lot slower and is going to show it's limitations very soon at 1080p. If someone has the budget for a GTX1070 I'd never not recommend it at 1080p - I think that post of mine was just taken out of the context in which it was meant.

I have a GTX1070 on a 1080P monitor myself at the moment!

Apologies. I see the broader context of this pop up a lot, and it's just one of those things that I find really irritating. Apologies for coming off a bit harsh!

Just caught the fact that OP's on a 144Hz monitor too, so defo shouldn't be using a 1060 if he/she wants to get proper use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

With the price drop of the gtx 1080 would yous think maybe it would be a better choice over the 1070 now, unless it pushes the budget? Only ~120 euro in the difference since the 1080ti release

Sheogorath wrote: »
    With the price drop of the gtx 1080 would yous think maybe it would be a better choice over the 1070 now, unless it pushes the budget? Only ~120 euro in the difference since the 1080ti release

Yes in cases like this where you have a 144hz monitor, but generally speaking otherwise (like a standard 60hz monitor) that money can be put to far better use elsewhere.

For example at 144hz an i7-7700K is actually a considerably better processor than the Ryzen (in games) because it will push more frames in tandem with a good card.

Though in this case the Ryzen is a better choice overall due to the mixed uses of the PC.

A 144hz monitor is where an overclocked 7700K and 1080Ti shine bright :)

• Advertisement

For what I posted above in regards to my use of the pc, is the Ryzen 5 posted by Kiki better than the 7700k for price/performance.
    I'll for the majority of the time use it for gaming but I need to be able to do the other stuff too.

If it's primarily a gaming machine, yes the i7-7700K is the better processor in games. This does make a particular difference with a 144hz monitor as you want a high a framerate as possible.

You want a Z170 motherboard for overclocking, though if you're against overclocking it won't cost you any more than Ryzen really as a) a cheap €60 H110M board will be perfectly fine and b) the 7700K still has a faster base clock than the non-k i7-7700 so there is benefit without overclocking.

Geryn wrote: »
    For what I posted above in regards to my use of the pc, is the Ryzen 5 posted by Kiki better than the 7700k for price/performance.
    I'll for the majority of the time use it for gaming but I need to be able to do the other stuff too.

Ryzen 5 1600 beats the pants off the i7-7700K in price/€, 90% performance at 70% cost in games.
    For productivity it even beats the i7-7700K in many benchmarks.
    If it's primarily a gaming machine, yes the i7-7700K is the better processor in games. This does make a particular difference with a 144hz monitor as you want a high a framerate as possible.

You want a Z170 motherboard for overclocking, though if you're against overclocking it won't cost you any more than Ryzen really as a) a cheap €60 H110M board will be perfectly fine and b) the 7700K still has a faster base clock than the non-k i7-7700 so there is benefit without overclocking.
    For 144fps gameplay, it's easy enough to turn some settings down ;)

Also for 7700K I recommend a Z270 motherboard, not Z170.
    Less arsing around with BIOS stuff that way.
    Same regarding H110 - better to recommend B250.

Sorry re: motherboards you're dead right! Even if the boards have the latest bios to support newer CPUs it still makes little sense to chose the older chipsets with any 7th gen CPU. I don't know why I just can't get the newer chipsets into my brain!
    Ryzen 5 1600 beats the pants off the i7-7700K in price/€, 90% performance at 70% cost in games.
    For productivity it even beats the i7-7700K in many benchmarks.

This is not strictly true (the first part I mean), in some games it will be 90% of the performance but there are others where there is a very large margin which comes into play big time on a 144hz monitor. It wouldn't make any difference on a standard 60hz setup granted but on 144hz you want every last frame you can get and the i7-7700K has a significant lead over Ryzen 5 in a fair few titles in those stakes.

For the sake of a few euro in the overall cost of an i7-7700K setup vs Ryzen 5 1600 for a pure gaming system at 144hz the Ryzen would be the lesser choice (in my opinion). Can't stress enough though that we're talking about a fairly elite build here - 144hz is outside of 95%+ of the gaming base really so this is a very particular rather than broad case - wouldn't want people to think I'm needlessly crapping Ryzen because that's not it at all.

Ryzen 1800 is the one that trade's effective blows with the 7700K, Ryzen 5 is more an excellent and broadly superior alternative to Skylake i5 (and the i7 too if at normal 1080/1440p 60hz).

Now of course the OP may not mind a damn as we're talking about very high framerates far north of 60fps here at the end of the day....and we could be talking about 80fps vs 100fps, 93fps vs 95fps, or 93fps vs 93fps, etc dependent on the game.

It's not a big deal and you wouldn't be disappointed with either option but for me the i7-7700K wins hands down for a dedicated gaming build. No arguments that from a productivity POV Ryzen offers a lot more value.

What would be a good card to use price performance wise if I go with either of those and with regards to my monitor, as I said above I'll be sticking to 1080p for some time

I like to use TechPowerUp here. This is from their 1080Ti review.

Given that we're relatively late in the life-cycle of both Pascal and Polaris, it's not really worth your money going for a 1080/1080Ti. Likewise, it's probably not worth your time going for a 1060, as that just won't push enough frames in most cases, especially considering your 144Hz setup. So I'd look at something like a 1070/RX 480 now.

It is also worth mentioning that AMD's/RTG's Vega architecture is due to show up around June. We don't really know much about it, other than it's targeting the high-end graphics segment, and that it's quite a departure from previous architectures, so has the potential to be very powerful. That said, AMD has drummed up hype in the past, but given Ryzen's success, this might be an option.

tl;dr - 1070 / 480, or wait for Vega.
    Edit: I goofed. 480 ~= 1060. Get a 1070 now, or get a 480 / 1060 if you want to have a stop-gap until the next generation.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Serephucus wrote: »

Given that we're relatively late in the life-cycle of both Pascal and Polaris, it's not really worth your money going for a 1080/1080Ti. Likewise, it's probably not worth your time going for a 1060, as that just won't push enough frames in most cases, especially considering your 144Hz setup. So I'd look at something like a 1070/RX 480 now.

It is also worth mentioning that AMD's/RTG's Vega architecture is due to show up around June. We don't really know much about it, other than it's targeting the high-end graphics segment, and that it's quite a departure from previous architectures, so has the potential to be very powerful. That said, AMD has drummed up hype in the past, but given Ryzen's success, this might be an option.

I would have thought the 1070 is the only option in that regard really, rx 480 is on par with the 6GB 1060 in benchmarks from what I've seen, even behind it in some cases?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I would have thought the 1070 is the only option in that regard really, rx 480 is on par with the 6GB 1060 in benchmarks from what I've seen, even behind it in some cases?

You're right, yeah. Dunno what I was thinking...

I suppose OP could go with a 1060 / 480, depending on if he wants to pseudo-skip this generation.

Serephucus wrote: »

Edit: I goofed. 480 ~= 1060. Get a 1070 now, or get a 480 / 1060 if you want to have a stop-gap until the next generation.
    Polaris & Pascal aren't even a year old, how TF is that "late in the lifecycle"? :pac:

Advertisement