Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salaried worker being paid per weeks in month

Options
  • 25-04-2017 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭

I've not encountered this before but wondering if it's ok say a salary paid worker is on 24k so that should be 2k gross per month. However they are being paid their salary on a per week basis so a 4 week month they get 1846 gross and 5 week month they get 2307 so it's a different nett pay every month. Is it ok to pay salaries this way (standard contract no mention of being paid per weeks in the month) thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Does it add up to €24k after 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes it would I believe but it's just a strange way and messy way to pay staff

screamer wrote: »
    Yes it would I believe but it's just a strange way and messy way to pay staff

It's not unusual. Weekly pay is €461.50. So every month with 4 say Fridays, you get that times 4 and for 5 Fridays, times 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

It's not unusual.

It's utterly unusual for a monthly person to be paid in this fashion.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I used to be paid like that in my current company. They moved to the more common way of 12 equal monthly payments last year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    It's utterly unusual for a monthly person to be paid in this fashion.

B

They aren't a monthly person though they are a weekly person. Having a salary and how often you are paid are completely different. Most companies pay per month as its less paperwork and cheaper, 12 transfers instead of 52.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They aren't a monthly person though they are a weekly person. Having a salary and how often you are paid are completely different. Most companies pay per month as its less paperwork and cheaper, 12 transfers instead of 52.

Perhaps I misread it - I think the OP was saying they get 12 payments per year of varying amounts based on the 4/4/5 principle. No ?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Perhaps I misread it - I think the OP was saying they get 12 payments per year of varying amounts based on the 4/4/5 principle. No ?

B

That's what I thought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Never heard or seen it been done like this before and I work in accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This is strange, they must be operating a bespoke payroll programme or a manual one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

BabyWillis wrote: »

It is not very common, they are using the 13x4. It is a configuration option to be set when setting up the accounting software.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

Jim2007 wrote: »

It is not very common, they are using the 13x4. It is a configuration option to be set when setting up the accounting software.

But the op is not saying there is 13 pay days they are saying there is 12 pay days with varied amounts depending on the weeks the the month, so basically 4,4,5 repeated quarterly through the year. Which I have never seen used for monthly pay.

But the op is not saying there is 13 pay days they are saying there is 12 pay days with varied amounts depending on the weeks the the month, so basically 4,4,5 repeated quarterly through the year. Which I have never seen used for monthly pay.

That is exactly what I believe the OP to be saying too. And I've never seen it either.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ainecaine

I am a payroll manager in a large organisation, I have worked for 20 years in payroll and I have never seem this. Check your contract. That is the legal agreement between you and your employer. If it says something like "you will be paid a salary of €24000, this will be paid monthly, then they are not processing correctly in my opinion. I would say they are paying you weekly in monthly installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It's not unusual. Weekly pay is €461.50. So every month with 4 say Fridays, you get that times 4 and for 5 Fridays, times 5.

That can't be right.

I'm on 26750
    and I get less then that a week, I come out with about 440

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I've started contracting recently and am paid by a recruitment agency and am paid on the same day every month (the last Friday).  However, this can mean I sometimes will have 4 weeks between the monthly pay days and sometimes have 5 weeks (the client I work for has to sign off on my hours on a weekly basis even though I'm paid monthly) so my salary fluctuates depending on whether it was a long or short month (eg 4 or 5 weeks of signed off weekly hours before the last Friday).   Thankfully, this isn't an issue for me but I can appreciate for some who rely on every last penny of their monthly wage that the reduction in net pay on those 4 week months can be a challenge for them as they could be waiting several months for the next 5 week payout.

Not sure if this is similar to OP's scenario but we both have differing monthly net pays regardless of the same hours worked each month so it's not that unheard of.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That sounds needlessly convoluted. They get paid 12 times a year, but different values depending on how long the month is? Do lunar cycles come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I'm a payroll manager for an outsourced services firm. One of our clients pays their employees like this and it's the only time I've ever come across it in my career. It's unusual and we've advised them to pay an equal amount each month over 12 months but as it's the way they've always done it (it's an inherited client) they don't want to change.

OP what exactly does it say in the contract? Unless it specifically states that the salary will be paid equally over 12 months then I don't think they're doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    That can't be right.

I'm on 26750
    and I get less then that a week, I come out with about 440

That poster is talking about gross pay, not net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Sounds like a company that used to pay on a weekly basis now pay on monthly but are still using an old weekly payroll system but just transfering it to you every 4/5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

I used to be paid like that. My contract stated a yearly salary, it didn't say how it was to be paid out.
    They seemed to base the payments on the number of Fridays in the month. So if the yearly salary was (as an example to make counting easier) 52,000, I would get 4000, 4000, 5000, 4000 etc. This was the Irish branch of a large American company, and our American colleagues were paid weekly where we were paid per month.
    It probably made sense for their accountants to have comparable salary budgets every month regardless of country, or something.
    After a year, they decided to switch to a strictly monthly payment, where the 52,000 salary would be paid as 4333 per month, every month.

TBH, I rather liked the original solution. Same salary in the end, but I learned to budget after the smaller salary and every three month I felt "yay! extra money!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

ainecaine wrote: »
    I am a payroll manager in a large organisation, I have worked for 20 years in payroll and I have never seem this. Check your contract. That is the legal agreement between you and your employer. If it says something like "you will be paid a salary of €24000, this will be paid monthly, then they are not processing correctly in my opinion. I would say they are paying you weekly in monthly installments.

depends on what the contract says. saying you are paid monthly is different to saying you are paid in equal amounts monthly.

just saying paid monthly leaves it open to interpretation (somewhat) as to how you are to be paid...ie by the weekly amount *no of fridays or by the monthly amount (annual/12).

all that said and done...its just semantics.

If you are being sensible it should be 1/12th annual salary if you are paid monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

assumed he meant after tax,
    no need to be an ass or a testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i think he means he's being paid weekly when he should be paid monthly(or so he thinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

IvoryTower wrote: »
    i think he means he's being paid weekly when he should be paid monthly(or so he thinks)

he is being paid monthly - he sets that out

it is just that some months he gets paid the equivalent of 4 weeks pay and some other months he gets paid the quivalent of 5 weeks pay in his pay cheque.

Usually people are paid in 12 equal amounts

Advertisement