Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker gets two years

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

He is a proper criminal. Convicted and everything, he is literally a proper criminal.

What exactly is a "proper criminal", one convicted of a crime you deem serious enough?

Do you mean a serious criminal? From the link, he doesn't seem to be violent or a danger to the public, just deemed a pain in the arse. Companies lost money, which is the issue here. If his software was targeting us poor joes, I doubt a case would even be built.
    I think the 'lol, gamerz first world problems' angle is a bit daft tbh. He was also targeting schools, colleges and other organisations that I'm sure weren't swimming in cash and caused them awful problems. He was also selling on his software to other people to do with what they please and I'm sure they caused a hell of a lot of hassle to others as well. I think the 2 year sentence is pretty lenient.

It's a DDOS attack, unless he supplied other malicious software to harvest software etc, it's hardly the crime of the century. 2 years is a long time for this young person to pay. Companies suffered a monetary loss, that's terrible for SMB's, but it's money.

Also, did he actually carry out the attacks or did he just provide the software to do so?

"Ruining peoples free time" Jesus wept... Like the only thing one could possibly do in their free time is play playstation. That's incredibly sad.

Servers are down, well that sucks, go do something else or play another game/console if possible.

Personally I hope the 2 years in jail don't completely turn him and he puts his incredible talents into something positive when he's released. It's some achievement for a 16 year old (building the program).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a DDOS attack, unless he supplied other malicious software to harvest software etc, it's hardly the crime of the century. 2 years is a long time for this young person to pay. Companies suffered a monetary loss, that's terrible for SMB's, but it's money.
    Not sure. You could get a "free 60 second trial".

He's logged 1.7 million attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

What exactly is a "proper criminal", one convicted of a crime you deem serious enough?

Companies suffered a monetary loss, that's terrible for SMB's, but it's money.

Also, did he actually carry out the attacks or did he just provide the software to do so?

"Ruining peoples free time" Jesus wept... Like the only thing one could possibly do in their free time is play playstation. That's incredibly sad.

Servers are down, well that sucks, go do something else or play another game/console if possible.

Personally I hope the 2 years in jail don't completely turn him and he puts his incredible talents into something positive when he's released. It's some achievement for a 16 year old (building the program).

It's not up to you to judge what is and is not valuable to the people or businesses impacted. Cry 'QQ' all you want, he broke the law, cost businesses a great deal of money and denied services to a great many people who worked hard to pay for them in the first place. Again, it does not matter what YOU think of those services, they paid for them with money time and effort that 'Incredible talent' or not he made a conscious decision to deny in a malicious way, and profit from it.

the_syco wrote: »
    Not sure. You could get a "free 60 second trial".

He's logged 1.7 million attacks.

No, he's responsible for 1.7 million attacks, he didn't actually do all the attacking. You missed this part "also by other criminals who had rented the service".
    _CreeD_ wrote: »
    It's not up to you to judge what is and is not valuable to the people or businesses impacted. Cry 'QQ' all you want, he broke the law, cost businesses a great deal of money and denied services to a great many people who worked hard to pay for them in the first place. Again, it does not matter what YOU think of those services, they paid for them with money time and effort that 'Incredible talent' or not he made a conscious decision to deny in a malicious way, and profit from it.

I am not judging what is valuable to people, but I am entitled to my opinion. I am pointing out the irrational response and sentencing for a crime which, as you so put it, only "denied people services". Is it normal to put a minor in prison for inconveniencing people and causing financial loss for a business?

The argument here is not that he did or did not break the law, it's pretty clear that he broke the law and should be held accountable for his actions. 2 years jail time does not match the crime. He's not a danger to the public and he is not violent, he should not be serving time in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

No, he's responsible for 1.7 million attacks, he didn't actually do all the attacking. You missed this part "also by other criminals who had rented the service".

I am not judging what is valuable to people, but I am entitled to my opinion. I am pointing out the irrational response and sentencing for a crime which, as you so put it, only "denied people services". Is it normal to put a minor in prison for inconveniencing people and causing financial loss for a business?

The argument here is not that he did or did not break the law, it's pretty clear that he broke the law and should be held accountable for his actions. 2 years jail time does not match the crime. He's not a danger to the public and he is not violent, he should not be serving time in jail.

Yes, causing financial loss and demanding payment to cease causing that loss is a crime worthy of prison. It's exactly what organized crime does ffs, it's extortion

• Advertisement

Sieghardt wrote: »
    Yes, causing financial loss and demanding payment to cease causing that loss is a crime worthy of prison. It's exactly what organized crime does ffs, it's extortion

Yea, but is this what he did? Or just create the program?

It's a one man show, not powerful and not on a large scale. It's not organised crime. Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

From the article on The Register about the case...
    Jagex, the company behind MMORPG Runescape, reportedly spent £6m trying to fend off Titanium Stresser attacks. Mudd himself attacked the site 593 times

I haven't seen anything about him demanding payment to cease the attacks but given the pricing and usage scheme he setup for users, the lengths he went to to hide the payments made to him for said services and the fact he initially lied about its original purpose, I'm not particularly surprised he got hit with the sentence he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hacking is a bit of a weird thing...

Like let's all be honest, if someone hacks to gain money we all get it. Doesn't mean we agree with it but you see the goal. Thing is, all well and good making great money until you get caught. So I dunno.

But truth be told tho for every one hacker that gets caught what, a thousand don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Proper criminal" was the expression used by Deleted User, why don't you ask him what he meant by it.

I believe by using those words Deleted User meant to imply that this guy wasn't a real criminal at all, something that is factually and demonstrably incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

It's a one man show, not powerful and not on a large scale. It's not organised crime. Nice try though.

It's not a one man show, it's a group of 7 and it shows what you know about the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, i'm going to try my best to not make this personal, and it's not intended to, so sorry if it comes across as personal...

How dare you tell me i'm incredibly sad. Who are you to tell me what and what not to do with my time. I'm a gamer, it's my only passion, i've no interest in sports, tv, drinking, cards, stamps, whatever. Gaming is my thing. As gaming is my only passion/past time/hobby, i like to game when i can. I can understand servers down for maintenance, but when it's attacked, it's bloody annoying, as it's not the companies fault, it's some little stuck up shit who thinks he's great ruining my good times. I fine it highly offensive that you think that because this is what i want to do with my free time that i'm sad because of it. Your life must be so great to know that you don't have to game when some punk decides to take down the central element to having fun. I've nothing against you personally, but that is the kind of BS we hear from stupid parents and the media when it comes to gaming. That kind of comment sets back gaming as a legitimate passion, and relegates it to the kids corner.

That's like me saying that anyone who wants a pint but can't because some scum trashed the bar and gets annoyed over it is leading a sad life, because there's plenty other bars out there. I know for myself, there are a handful of bars i'll go to because they have the right atmosphere, aren't full of kids or drunken fools, etc.

I'm sick of it. Gaming is (from the most recent article i can be bothered finding right now, from 2016) the 4th largest entertainment industry. It's legit, and no one, NO ONE, has the right to call anyone else sad because of that.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

What a post.

standing-ovation.gif

:D

"Proper criminal" was the expression used by Deleted User, why don't you ask him what he meant by it.

I believe by using those words Deleted User meant to imply that this guy wasn't a real criminal at all, something that is factually and demonstrably incorrect.

Not what I was implying either, of course he's a criminal. Courts found him guilty , sentence imposed, justice served. just speaking in the context of the general OTT outrage and outright hatred surrounding him online in general purely because of one of the many crimes he committed took or aided taking down gaming networks, take those out of the equation there would barely be a mention of him or an eyebrow raised regarding his attacking schools , small businesses etc. that could least afford these kinds of attacks.

I also mentioned his age earlier and that a lot of us were idiots at that age, I don't disagree with the sentence but I feel it should have been dealt with faster and not have taken 4 years to lock him up now at the age of 20, which by now there is a possibility he could be putting what ever skills and intellect to better use.

Aha, well he is a criminal, that's for sure.
    It's not a one man show, it's a group of 7 and it shows what you know about the case

One or 7, it's not organised crime. You are right though, I don't know every detail about the case.
    Ok, i'm going to try my best to not make this personal, and it's not intended to, so sorry if it comes across as personal...

How dare you tell me i'm incredibly sad. Who are you to tell me what and what not to do with my time. I'm a gamer, it's my only passion, i've no interest in sports, tv, drinking, cards, stamps, whatever. Gaming is my thing. As gaming is my only passion/past time/hobby, i like to game when i can. I can understand servers down for maintenance, but when it's attacked, it's bloody annoying, as it's not the companies fault, it's some little stuck up shit who thinks he's great ruining my good times. I fine it highly offensive that you think that because this is what i want to do with my free time that i'm sad because of it. Your life must be so great to know that you don't have to game when some punk decides to take down the central element to having fun. I've nothing against you personally, but that is the kind of BS we hear from stupid parents and the media when it comes to gaming. That kind of comment sets back gaming as a legitimate passion, and relegates it to the kids corner.

That's like me saying that anyone who wants a pint but can't because some scum trashed the bar and gets annoyed over it is leading a sad life, because there's plenty other bars out there. I know for myself, there are a handful of bars i'll go to because they have the right atmosphere, aren't full of kids or drunken fools, etc.

I'm sick of it. Gaming is (from the most recent article i can be bothered finding right now, from 2016) the 4th largest entertainment industry. It's legit, and no one, NO ONE, has the right to call anyone else sad because of that.

/rant

Woah there cowboy, try not make a mountain out of a molehill ;) You're right, it's quite the rant and from my perspective it's quite incoherent. I didn't say you in particular are very sad, but having no other interest apart from gaming, in my opinion is quite sad.

Nobody is questioning gaming as a legitimate passion, actually, the topic of conversation is the prison term the hacker received, which is quite OTT.

So when the servers go down, and you're annoyed, what do you do? Sit and stare at the wall? It's very difficult to believe that somebody can only have one interest, you don't watch films or a tv series/cartoons, board/card games, RC vehicles?

Wanting somebody to go to jail because you couldn't play playstation is laughable.

It was a one man show. The lizard group was a spin-off.

He created the program, and then did others bidding. He was essentially a "gun for hire".
    So when the servers go down, and you're annoyed, what do you do?
    Personally, do something else. When a banking/company server goes down, no-one can use the bank. Banks/company share price drops, and people can profit from buying the shares cheaply. If part of a larger attack, whilst the server is being hit, someone else can get in and steak info, money, etc.

Game servers are the ones that admit getting attacked, as they can blame the hacker for down-time.

Banks rarely admit being hacking, likewise with businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hacking is a bit of a weird thing...

Like let's all be honest, if someone hacks to gain money we all get it. Doesn't mean we agree with it but you see the goal. Thing is, all well and good making great money until you get caught. So I dunno.

But truth be told tho for every one hacker that gets caught what, a thousand don't?

I don't get it ? What exactly are you saying or what is your point ?
    Your take on hacking can be applied to ANY criminal activity.
    We all know why people (-insert crime here-) (e.g. Rob banks, assassinate people, kidnap people etc etc)
    Woah there cowboy, try not make a mountain out of a molehill ;) You're right, it's quite the rant and from my perspective it's quite incoherent. I didn't say you in particular are very sad, but having no other interest apart from gaming, in my opinion is quite sad.

You've played WOW on and off for 11 years. Are you sure you have other interests ?

Nothing wrong with gaming being your main interest, nothing sad about it.
    The same way people love music or films or soccer. Gaming is more popular than all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aha, well he is a criminal, that's for sure.

One or 7, it's not organised crime. You are right though, I don't know every detail about the case.

Nobody is questioning gaming as a legitimate passion, actually, the topic of conversation is the prison term the hacker received, which is quite OTT.

So when the servers go down, and you're annoyed, what do you do? Sit and stare at the wall? It's very difficult to believe that somebody can only have one interest, you don't watch films or a tv series/cartoons, board/card games, RC vehicles?

Wanting somebody to go to jail because you couldn't play playstation is laughable.

Man goes into a bar during closing hours gets paid to destroy the place, ruins the bar so customers cannot use it.

Does this over 500 times.

Bar spends over 6 million pound on security and returns.

Man is caught

Does man deserve prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I didn't say you in particular are very sad, but having no other interest apart from gaming, in my opinion is quite sad.

I think you're unnecessarily being a dick about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note - Keep it civil please. Several unnecessarily hostile posts here.

the_syco wrote: »
    It was a one man show. The lizard group was a spin-off.

Ho ho ho, touché Mr. Sieghardt.

Personally, do something else. When a banking/company server goes down, no-one can use the bank. Banks/company share price drops, and people can profit from buying the shares cheaply. If part of a larger attack, whilst the server is being hit, someone else can get in and steak info, money, etc.

Sorry Syco, that question was specifically directed at Potentialy-Monke as he stated "As gaming is my only passion/past time/hobby"

Game servers are the ones that admit getting attacked, as they can blame the hacker for down-time.

Banks rarely admit being hacking, likewise with businesses.[/QUOTE]

I'd only have sympathy for SMB's to be honest, banks are the last organisation I would have any sympathy for.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    You've played WOW on and off for 11 years. Are you sure you have other interests ?

Nothing wrong with gaming being your main interest, nothing sad about it.
    The same way people love music or films or soccer. Gaming is more popular than all of them.

Yea, so you completely missed the point here yourself. Nowhere was it mentioned that gaming as a main hobby/interest is sad.
    listermint wrote: »
    Man goes into a bar during closing hours gets paid to destroy the place, ruins the bar so customers cannot use it.

Does this over 500 times.

Bar spends over 6 million pound on security and returns.

Man is caught

Does man deserve prison?

Bar is stupid, bar probably shouldn't be open.

Was there any company/organisation involved that was the victim of 500 attacks and lost £6,000,000? Or is it possible that you have exaggerated your analogy to strengthen your argument?

• Advertisement

I'm trying not to make a mountain, but i've spent the last 20 odd years of my life trying to explain to people why gaming is a legit hobby/past time/passion. It's so hard, at 34 years of age, to explain to people my own age or older why gaming is so important to me. I'm not going to go into it, but yes, it's my only passion. I do watch TV, but there's a time and place for that (before bed, i've realised the older i get that playing games before bed keeps me awake, and i'm pushing on, i needs my beauty sleep!). Because of my current circumstances, any free time for gaming is golden, and I want to be able to play my favourite games, again circumstances dictating what games i currently have, so limited.

And as for gaming being my only passion, yes it is. Not my fault that nothing else excites me or entertains me as much. I have interests in other aspects of entertainment, but don't have the money to get into it. I'd love to be an actor, but outside of Dublin it's very hard to get into properly.

With regards to playing online, i've no issues with maintenance, that's required, but i've no time for people who deliberately attack, or have ANY part in attacks on these services. I couldn't care less if he didn't know what was going to happen with his code, fact is that he created malicious code and sold it, so he's a scumbag.

So, to go back to my earlier point, it's not right that you, or anyone, think you can call other people sad because they only have 1 main interest/hobby/passion. Great that you have more than one, but gaming, for me, is the only interest that i actively keep on top of, because it's easy to, there's a massive community to discuss this with, and while peers my own age are mostly into sports, i've been a gamer all my life, and my peers just don't understand it. So allow me to get butt hurt over someone deliberate or in deliberate attack on those services. Same as someone attempting to burn down Old Trafford, it puts out a lot of people and costs millions, just like this dick did.

Again, nothing personal towards you, just your choice of words and your belief that having only 1 main interest is sad.

I'd only have sympathy for SMB's to be honest, banks are the last organisation I would have any sympathy for.
    The bank will offer less interest, and more penalties to it's customers when it gets hacked.

I'm surprised more hospitals didn't get hacked, as most of the machines are linked to a central server, so it'd literally be holding the patients lives in the palm of the hackers hand. Also an easy way to kill anyone on life support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I'm trying not to make a mountain, but i've spent the last 20 odd years of my life trying to explain to people why gaming is a legit hobby/past time/passion. It's so hard, at 34 years of age, to explain to people my own age or older why gaming is so important to me. I'm not going to go into it, but yes, it's my only passion. I do watch TV, but there's a time and place for that (before bed, i've realised the older i get that playing games before bed keeps me awake, and i'm pushing on, i needs my beauty sleep!). Because of my current circumstances, any free time for gaming is golden, and I want to be able to play my favourite games, again circumstances dictating what games i currently have, so limited.

And as for gaming being my only passion, yes it is. Not my fault that nothing else excites me or entertains me as much. I have interests in other aspects of entertainment, but don't have the money to get into it. I'd love to be an actor, but outside of Dublin it's very hard to get into properly.

With regards to playing online, i've no issues with maintenance, that's required, but i've no time for people who deliberately attack, or have ANY part in attacks on these services. I couldn't care less if he didn't know what was going to happen with his code, fact is that he created malicious code and sold it, so he's a scumbag.

So, to go back to my earlier point, it's not right that you, or anyone, think you can call other people sad because they only have 1 main interest/hobby/passion. Great that you have more than one, but gaming, for me, is the only interest that i actively keep on top of, because it's easy to, there's a massive community to discuss this with, and while peers my own age are mostly into sports, i've been a gamer all my life, and my peers just don't understand it. So allow me to get butt hurt over someone deliberate or in deliberate attack on those services. Same as someone attempting to burn down Old Trafford, it puts out a lot of people and costs millions, just like this dick did.

Again, nothing personal towards you, just your choice of words and your belief that having only 1 main interest is sad.

I cannot tell if you are serious or not. Being called sad because you game a lot is pretty low on the list of horrible things people can say to you. if people called me sad for gaming, I'd just laugh at them and move on, instead of posting melodramatic diatribes about it.

I agree with this chap going to jail for two years though. There has to be a deterrent and a couple of years in jail fits the bill nicely. Otherwise, why wouldn't you try this, if you were so inclined?

I'd be more middle of the road myself. The anger directed at this lad seems a bit over the top.
    Does he deserve it? No.
    Did he deserve to be sent to prison? Yes.

I cannot tell if you are serious or not. Being called sad because you game a lot is pretty low on the list of horrible things people can say to you. if people called me sad for gaming, I'd just laugh at them and move on, instead of posting melodramatic diatribes about it.

I am being serious. I know it's not the worst thing you can call someone, i just don't appreciate being called sad for having a singular main interest. Might be sad to you, but it's not to me or a lot of other people like me. Gaming has (and not being melodramatic here) got me out of some very dark times in my short-ish life. It's the one constant i can more or less depend on when i need something to take my mind off the crap that is adulting. And when people directly attack, or indirectly attack, services which i hope to be working, for no other reasons than to either make money, get status (which was allegedly this lads main driving factor, status within the hacker community) or just to "give it to the man", i take that personally, because why would someone do it? For the 1-ups for fellow hackorz? That's sad.

Anyway, we're obviously going to agree to disagree. Just please don't call me sad, that's all i'm asking. Have your opinion, but try not to insult those with differing ones. Spanks! :)
    I'd be more middle of the road myself. The anger directed at this lad seems a bit over the top.
    Does he deserve it? No.
    Did he deserve to be sent to prison? Yes.

I don't quite follow you. "Did he deserve it? No." Not sure what you mean here, as you then said he deserved to go to prison, so i'm confused?! He deserves everything, he deliberately created software to DDoS many services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I am being serious. I know it's not the worst thing you can call someone, i just don't appreciate being called sad for having a singular main interest. Might be sad to you, but it's not to me or a lot of other people like me. Gaming has (and not being melodramatic here) got me out of some very dark times in my short-ish life. It's the one constant i can more or less depend on when i need something to take my mind off the crap that is adulting. And when people directly attack, or indirectly attack, services which i hope to be working, for no other reasons than to either make money, get status (which was allegedly this lads main driving factor, status within the hacker community) or just to "give it to the man", i take that personally, because why would someone do it? For the 1-ups for fellow hackorz? That's sad.

Anyway, we're obviously going to agree to disagree. Just please don't call me sad, that's all i'm asking. Have your opinion, but try not to insult those with differing ones. Spanks! :)

I don't quite follow you. "Did he deserve it? No." Not sure what you mean here, as you then said he deserved to go to prison, so i'm confused?! He deserves everything, he deliberately created software to DDoS many services.

Hey, I am posting on a gaming forum. Gaming is my main hobby and has been for pretty much my entire life. So I don't think you are sad for gaming at all. I guess my point was not to take yourself so seriously.

Dude you're not sad for gaming as a main hobby but I'll speak very openly here and maybe more than I should or want to , saying it's got you out of dark times rings all kinds of familiar alarm bells with me. I'll not get into the rest here but if you feel the need PM me.

I don't quite follow you. "Does he deserve it? No." Not sure what you mean here, as you then said he deserved to go to prison, so i'm confused?! He deserves everything, he deliberately created software to DDoS many services.
    He deserved the time he got, I don't think he deserves the anger and vitriol he's getting from the gaming community.
    A lot of companies got cost a lot of money from this guy. Realistically what happened the gaming community? Couldn't play online games for a few hours a couple of times.
    It was inconvenient and annoying but hardly worth all of this.

He's in prison now, justice served, lets move on with our lives.

Dude you're not sad for gaming as a main hobby but I'll speak very openly here and maybe more than I should or want to , saying it's got you out of dark times rings all kinds of familiar alarm bells with me. I'll not get into the rest here but if you feel the need PM me.

Ah it's all good, thanks for the thought. Past times, but it did indeed keep me sane at times when i should have gone insane. Suppose that's the struggle of today, knowing to identify mental health issues and actively working towards them. During some really bad times over the last year or two, gaming was the one constant that i knew i could rely on, even when at times i believed it wasn't helping me, it was. But i'm all good now, give or take the odd bad day, but thems the deals! Cheers for the thoughts again though!

• Advertisement

He deserved the time he got, I don't think he deserves the anger and vitriol he's getting from the gaming community.
    A lot of companies got cost a lot of money from this guy. Realistically what happened the gaming community? Couldn't play online games for a few hours a couple of times.
    It was inconvenient and annoying but hardly worth all of this.

He's in prison now, justice served, lets move on with our lives.

I was thinking about this earlier , if I recall at the time I got off quite easy on Xbox it was a day or two, wasn't PSN down for a solid two weeks or was that an earlier attack???? Even I'd have had the sweats and rattles at that stage :o

Advertisement