Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Barbeque

• 25-04-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=54498
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]3.5kW 3 Burner gas Barbecue[/font] on sale in Lidl from this Thursday 27th April. From looking around the various other websites, this appears to be a good deal. Has anyone any experience in buy large products like this from Lidl or would anyone have any opinions on alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Kellyer13 wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=54498
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]3.5kW 3 Burner gas Barbecue[/font]

Two different items on both pictures, wonder which one is on sale actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Charcoal Grill vs. Gas Grill

No contest.

Charcoal wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

No contest.

Charcoal wins.

https://s21.postimg.org/o6gzdeyp3/Clipboard02lidl.png

They seems bit different to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

zom wrote: »
    Two different items on both pictures, wonder which one is on sale actually?

They're just painted differently - only the lid and handle are stainless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

No contest.

Charcoal wins.

Except when you have just gotten back from work, and fancy a bit of a grill for dinner.
    20+ minutes for the charcoal to get up to temps... with the gas grill, you're already sitting down to eat by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gerryk wrote: »
    Except when you have just gotten back from work, and fancy a bit of a grill for dinner.
    20+ minutes for the charcoal to get up to temps... with the gas grill, you're already sitting down to eat by then.

I don't think I've ever got a charcoal bbq ready to cook on in 20 minutes, unless its a disposable one, usually by the time I've cooked on it and eaten its ready! Then you need to clean it, while with gas you just put it to full power and it cremates everything making it easier to clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Del2005 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever got a charcoal bbq ready to cook on in 20 minutes, unless its a disposable one, usually by the time I've cooked on it and eaten its ready! Then you need to clean it, while with gas you just put it to full power and it cremates everything making it easier to clean.

you need one of these guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A bbq on a bbq. I could just use gas and save all the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

If you wait a couple of days, the next Home store and More sale will be bbqs. They always have great deals and the bbqs are of good quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have never seen a cheap gas BBQ that worked well.

Get a weber! It is will be more than 2x the cost but it will last forever and will always work perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Couldn't go wrong at this price.....spares may be difficult to come by,with that in mind I would keep it covered in winter , to stop rust to the burners,grill area etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Put a grill straight on top of that and do a steak for 1 minute 20 each side. Best steak you'll ever eat!

If I want something cooked with gas I'll use the cooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Is all this hipster "charcoal or nothing" bollocks anyway relevant?

OP: it's a good price for a gas bbq that size but I wouldn't buy without seeing an assembled version. I got a Lidl bbq a while back and it was pretty flimsy. So go in, feel the heft of it and judge for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have never seen a cheap gas BBQ that worked well.

Get a weber! It is will be more than 2x the cost but it will last forever and will always work perfectly.

2x cost? Try 4-5 times the cost, minimum

I got a 5 burner mastercook in the homestore and more last year for 250. It's perfect for our needs incl family occassions.

Equivalent weber is minimum 1200. The mastercook will last, with care, about 5-6 years i reckon. I'd love to buy a weber, but hard to justify the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

OP: it's a good price for a gas bbq that size but I wouldn't buy without seeing an assembled version. I got a Lidl bbq a while back and it was pretty flimsy. So go in, feel the heft of it and judge for yourself.

Yes
    It tastes better.
    You'll make nice food with gas, you'll make nicer with charcoal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Gas is outside cooker

Charcoal is a barbecue!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Hipsters use charcoal or brickets.

While we all know nothing beats a real hardwood fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

take the gas vs charcoal argument somewhere else - this is a gas barbecue bargain alert

I have this model (well the one on the right in the picture) - it's grand, got a lot of use out of it last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if you want a charcoal bbq look for one. If you want a gas bbq, look for one in OP. Lets get back to the bargains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kellyer13

Thanks all - useful feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

loyatemu wrote: »
    take the gas vs charcoal argument somewhere else - this is a gas barbecue bargain alert

I have this model (well the one on the right in the picture) - it's grand, got a lot of use out of it last summer.

The OP asked for alternatives. What was linked to is not a barbeque. You pay a fortune for a griddle pan

If you want something like that better off looking here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test-five-best-griddle-pans

Please see definition of a barbeque: "The term is also used as a verb, i.e. "barbecuing" is usually done outdoors by smoking the meat over wood or charcoal"

If you want to look at a barbeque then you don't need to look far
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=54453
    That is a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

The homestore ones should be in shortly I would think, would this be a better option than theirs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

bennyc wrote: »
    The homestore ones should be in shortly I would think, would this be a better option than theirs ?

Don't know about the mastercook one but my brother has a full stainless lidl one for about 6 years he uses it all year round. The burner plates burned out after about 3-4 years but are readily available on ebay, amazon, aliexpress the burners themselves burned out last year but he was able to get replacements on aliexpress very cheap. So it looks like its ready to do another 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djo789

Check this in Argos for 188 4 burners also
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4646549.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Newbie2008

Home Store and more BBQ's are out this Friday, half price. I am just back from the store.

All their BBQ's feel very solid.

The Lidl BBQ is a very good deal, had a similar grillchef by Landmann for 5 years and I could not fault it, it survived three house moves too. The Lidl version looks better than what I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭g0g

Newbie2008 wrote: »
    Home Store and more BBQ's are out this Friday, half price. I am just back from the store.

All their BBQ's feel very solid.

The Lidl BBQ is a very good deal, had a similar grillchef by Landmann for 5 years and I could not fault it, it survived three house moves too. The Lidl version looks better than what I had.
    Thanks for the heads up! Is this sale normally like a Lidl/Aldi bike specials day or can i expect to walk into a store anytime on Saturday to pick one up? Can you order online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! Is this sale normally like a Lidl/Aldi bike specials day or can i expect to walk into a store anytime on Saturday to pick one up? Can you order online?

Well when they're gone they're gone

However they normally last a decent while

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

I am on my second one of these, very heavy user.

Brilliant quality for the price ?239, delivery from Germany by DPD very reasonable ?22.

http://www.jago24.de/en/garden/grill/grills/gas-bbq-grill-5-1-silver.html

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The OP asked for alternatives. What was linked to is not a barbeque. You pay a fortune for a griddle pan

If you want something like that better off looking here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test-five-best-griddle-pans

Please see definition of a barbeque: "The term is also used as a verb, i.e. "barbecuing" is usually done outdoors by smoking the meat over wood or charcoal"

If you want to look at a barbeque then you don't need to look far
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=54453
    That is a bargain

What a load of nonsense. A charcoal BBQ is a garden ornament a gas one is a fantastic piece of kit usable all year round and can just fire it up to cook as steak if you want and so much faster to heat up and use when having full BBQs also.

Setanter wrote: »
    I am on my second one of these, very heavy user.

Brilliant quality for the price ?239, delivery from Germany by DPD very reasonable ?22.

http://www.jago24.de/en/garden/grill/grills/gas-bbq-grill-5-1-silver.html
    Looks interesting, although:
    1) A bit messy with warranty maybe if any problems
    2) For some reason it says
    SUITABLE FOR USE IN GERMANY, AUSTRIA, AND SWITZERLAND ONLY
    3) How long did your first one last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

What a load of nonsense. A charcoal BBQ is a garden ornament a gas one is a fantastic piece of kit usable all year round and can just fire it up to cook as steak if you want and so much faster to heat up and use when having full BBQs also.

Charcoal-barbequed meats are much more flavoursome. Gas BBQ - you might as well just cook them in an oven and grill or stovetop. The smokiness isn't there. The smokiness is what makes BBQ-cooked foods such a treat. A gas BBQ is quicker than a charcoal or wood BBQ, sure, but no faster than the indoor oven/grill that will cook the food to taste exactly like what is cooked on the gas BBQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they both have their pros and cons. It's not entirely true to say gas barbeques are the same as cooking indoors, you generally get flare-ups that give the food some flame-grilled smokiness, but not to the same extent as charcoal obviously, and you can cook hotter without making a mess of your kitchen and filling the room with smoke. You can also buy wood chips that you can add to a gas barbeque to give that wood-smoke flavour.

I have the BBQ in the OP, and I previously had a different GrillChef that used lava rock and lasted 5 years of being stored outdoors, so it's a decent model - it's not a Weber but you'll pay a lot more for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

g0g wrote: »
    Looks interesting, although:
    1) A bit messy with warranty maybe if any problems
    2) For some reason it says

3) How long did your first one last?

Three years still going strong, getting a second for the overspill.

Takes regular calor gas cylinder, need to attach with a jubilee clip. There is a threaded receiver for euro size plumbing but it is non standard here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Murrisk wrote: »
    Charcoal-barbequed meats are much more flavoursome. Gas BBQ - you might as well just cook them in an oven and grill or stovetop. The smokiness isn't there. The smokiness is what makes BBQ-cooked foods such a treat. A gas BBQ is quicker than a charcoal or wood BBQ, sure, but no faster than the indoor oven/grill that will cook the food to taste exactly like what is cooked on the gas BBQ.

That bit is frankly completely untrue when using a good gas BBQ. There is a world of difference between any meats I cook on my Weber gas BBQ compared to pan/oven cooking.

Of course, if you have a load of time to prepare, a charcoal BBQ adds that extra smokiness but for most people, it would get far less use than a gas one.

(Full disclosure, I would have love to have a Weber charcoal BBQ too but can't justify it at the moment)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Do gas BBQs work with the conventional 11kg gas bottles? Butane or Propane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Of course, if you have a load of time to prepare, a charcoal BBQ adds that extra smokiness but for most people, it would get far less use than a gas one.

Seriously, what is this nonsense about charcoal being a chore? It takes 25 minutes to get up to temp. I'd spend longer marinating my meat.

yannakis wrote: »
    Do gas BBQs work with the conventional 11kg gas bottles? Butane or Propane?

they usually will work on either however with come with one or the other connectors.

If you BBQ all year round then use propane (red cylinders) as butane (yellow cylinder) pressure drops in colder weather. If you are a summer BBQ person then butane is better (and hotter). I switched mine from butane to propane as I cook our all year round no matter what the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭amber2

Homestore & more BBQ's

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/page/bbqwigig2017

Edit : sign up for the newsletter online to receive the email with your code to avail of half price now, as items aren't half price In store until 1st of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

amber2 wrote: »

That was quick! Came here to post the same link :pac:

• Advertisement

Picked up one of these this evening from the Belgard/Tallaght branch. Accessories were half price too (but not covers), so I got BBQ, cover, kebab gadget, cleaner brush and a burger griller for € 270. Note for anyone buying one that it's a singe box which is larger enough and heavy (33kg) enough. Fit grand in boot of Skoda Superb, but not gonna go into a smaller card without seats down etc. Quality seemed grand on the display unit in the shop and they had lots in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭userduluth

This one is gas assisted bbq I guess

Weber Performer Delux Gourmet 15501998

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭userduluth

Hi ,Any other cheaper gas assisted charcoal bbq in the market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭loopymum

How much was the lidl BBQ in the original op please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I've used my gas BBQ 6 times this year. 3 times eat out and 3 times eat in. I wouldn't have done that with charcoal.

The other evening cooking for one I cooked one burger and reheated 2 pieces BBQ chicken and 2 spuds on the gas BBQ in no time. Fine meal :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

BailMeOut wrote:
    they usually will work on either however with come with one or the other connectors.

BailMeOut wrote:
    If you BBQ all year round then use propane (red cylinders) as butane (yellow cylinder) pressure drops in colder weather. If you are a summer BBQ person then butane is better (and hotter). I switched mine from butane to propane as I cook our all year round no matter what the weather.

So all you need is a butane regulator and your bbq will work fine? Bought a new one today and couldn't use it as came with a propane regulator . Raging I was

dbagman wrote: »
    So all you need is a butane regulator and your bbq will work fine? Bought a new one today and couldn't use it as came with a propane regulator . Raging I was

just switch the regulator which you can pick up one from any hardware shop and make sure you fit it properly (google for instructions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Murrisk wrote: »

If you think chicken cooked in a conventional oven tastes the same as food cooked on a gas BBQ then your Wrong..just wrong. Totally different.

Advertisement