Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife as a named driver on her own car?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have 10 years full license but my wife still only has a learner permit. We just bought a car for her use and trying to get insurance for it. Of course, many companies won't even quote and those that do are crazy. So, what's to stop me getting insurance in my name for the new car and added her as a named driver? I imagine it would be way cheaper. I'm sure there's a catch but thought I'd ask anyway...
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

You'll find most companies will be wise to any attempts to insure a car in the name of anyone who will not be the main driver. If you approach your existing insurer for a quote on a second car in your own name expect a severe grilling.

First up, you'll find you won't be able to use your existing No Claims Bonus (NCB) on a second vehicle. This effectively means in the first instance, that you will be insuring the car on 0 years NCB - this is going to result in a substantially higher premium than if you were insuring the car using a full NCB. There aren't many companies these days who will mirror an NCB.

While there are many legitimate reasons why someone might want to insure a second vehicle, you may find that even if your existing company do offer you a quote that the terms might be very restrictive. I can think of at least one insuance company that will restrict driving to insured only or insured & partner for the second car and will restrict cover on the existing vehicle to the same terms (this is to prevent young named drivers from being added at a future date).

Clearly, insurance companies want to rate the risks they take on as accurately as possible and want to avoid situations where a young/inexperienced driver is doing most of the driving on a car that is insured by a more experienced driver. That said, the fact that the second driver is your wife (and not a son or daughter) does put you in a better position. Also, as husband and wife, the car can be registered in your name or hers and a legitimate insurable interest will still stand.

HOWEVER....even if you do get a quote, you will be asked something to the effect of.."are you the registered owner and main user of the car". If you are dishonest with this question you may encounter some serious headaches down the line if a claim occurs and your wife is found to be the main driver.

Can I ask if your wife has been named on your own policy for any length of time? You will find that some companies who offer introductory NBCs to drivers with only named driving experience will only do so if the proposer has a full licence - I don't mean to sound smart but - my suggestion would be for your wife to pass the test as soon as possible - this will make it far easier (& cheaper) to arrange cover.

Advertisement