Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap scheme problem

Options
  • 25-04-2017 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i have a question regarding the hap rent scheme. i have been recieving the (old) rent allowance at my post office but have recieved a letter from the waterford social office that i will need to change to hap. the problem is i heard on the Hap scheme you have to sign a contract to live in the appartment for 2 years! i had planned on moving out, and moving to Limerick over the summer, and now they want me to change to Hap, will i be forced to stay in the same appartment in waterford for 2 years? where can i go for advice and information about the hap scheme.

also if i move back to limerick after living in waterford for a few years will i be entitled to hap in limerick?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Yes if you sign up to HAP (if your landlord agrees) then it is a 2 year contract. If you break that contract then you won't receive any assistance from your county council. If you move to another county they don't have to accept you for HAP unless you have a good reason for moving ie family connection to the area. You should ring Limerick City and County Council to talk to them beforehand. If they say it is ok you will have to come off the housing list where you are and reapply to LimkCoCo which may take a few months. It is not an easy process

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭LimerickSports

yeah i will go to the social housing office and try talk to someone and see whats best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are you moving to Limerick for work?

Yes i hope to get work in limerick ! will i still be able to go on the Hap scheme? and how long will it take me to be accepted to Hap! i have putting in a claim to be on a housing list in limerick over 6 years ago, before i moved to waterford, will that still count, or will i have to apply again? and if i have to apply again to be on a housing list in limerick how long will it take to get accepted to Hap?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Best of luck with the job hunt!

• Advertisement

thanks

Yes i hope to get work in limerick ! will i still be able to go on the Hap scheme? and how long will it take me to be accepted to Hap! i have putting in a claim to be on a housing list in limerick over 6 years ago, before i moved to waterford, will that still count, or will i have to apply again? and if i have to apply again to be on a housing list in limerick how long will it take to get accepted to Hap?

You will have to reapply. At the moment applications are taking about 6-8 weeks but once you are on the list you can be approved for HAP pretty quickly

okay thanks, and how long does it take to transfer social welfare do you know.

also i went down to the social welfare today and told them my situation they told me to write down when i could be going back to limerick. i wrote down july-august time, which should give me time to get ready and find a new place

Not sure how long it takes to transfer social welfare but you can always go for an emergency payment from the community welfare officer while you are waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

okay thanks, and how long does it take to transfer social welfare do you know.

also i went down to the social welfare today and told them my situation they told me to write down when i could be going back to limerick. i wrote down july-august time, which should give me time to get ready and find a new place

varies, worst I have had was 7 months. shortest a couple of weeks. You do have to have the house already.

I am in an HAP area BUT as Iw as already on rent allowance was allowed to stay on it? Call Threshhold tenancy office. They told me that because of my age ( over 70) I can stay on rent allowance even in an HAP area. I had no idea re that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement