Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I got a bike camera

Options
  • 25-04-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I've had a rear facing camera for a number of months now for commuting daily, I never really look at the footage, never any cause to.

Today, something quite disturbing happened.

I was coming to the lights on the Clontarf road turning for the Howth along with a stream of cyclists, there was also a bus turning left onto the same road. We all turned fine with loads of room, the bus had to slow down alittle way up the road to let some cyclists pass and pull in to the stop.

I continued on and I noticed that I kept arriving at the subsequent bus stops just as this bus was getting there and he would have to slow down slightly (we are talking seconds here as I move pretty fast). Eventually he got frustrated and he pulled right in on top of me and I had to slam the side of the bus with my fist for him to stop.

I continued on and we stopped together at a set of lights. I asked him why did he try and overtake me just to pull straight in on top of me... his reply ... "well what did you do to me on the corner of the Howth road and Clontarf? "

Please keep in mind, i clearly indicated and took the cycle lane around that corner, the bus had plenty of room.

I was pretty angry! I replied "So it's ok for you to pull a 10 tonne bus in on top of me? it's the same thing?" He then resorted to name calling ...etc.

Now i come across my fair share of gob****es on the road, both cyclists and motorists and I rarely if ever stop to make a point of it. I have clear video footage and not sure if i should do anything. It's his retort is what is bothering me, in his head he is justified in doing what he did?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Contact his employer if you feel that it warrants a disciplinary action, as one will probably be taken against him. He sounds like he needs a bit of re-educating along the 10 tonne bus V cyclist theme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If in doubt. Report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I just like the idea that camera footage could start to act as a contagion. That so-called professional drivers may actually hesitate before doing something stupid because he heard of a colleague being caught out by footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

All the Dublin Bus vehicles have their own cameras, which have improved safety Hugely. The manager will have access to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Roadtoad wrote: »
    All the Dublin Bus vehicles have their own cameras, which have improved safety Hugely. The manager will have access to that too.

Costs like ?7 to FOIA that. Worth a punt to add to your own footage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've heard anecdotally (i.e. on here) of several instances where that footage gets lost in the ether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If its just the drivers retorts which are bothering you, and they're not on your footage? ~ I'd try forget about it.

In fairness most bus drivers are pretty well aware of us and take the proper precautions (in my experience), but there's always going to be assholes too. Sounds like you got a live one.

I cycle the same route and I've always thought that the last few hundred meters (from the pedestrian bridge at Josephs to the Howth Road junction) must be a nightmare for bus drivers with cyclists seemingly swarming all over the place. Doesn't help that the cycle lane runs between driving lanes and then the scramble for position between the Malahide Rd & the Howth Rd.

Its a crazy bit of road to share between buses, cyclists, taxi's and other motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I think I needed the venting!

Makikomi makes a good point, that stretch of road is horrendous for bus drivers given the amount of cyclists. I guess we can all have a bad day.

I'll let it slide, hopefully the confrontation with me is enough to cop him on. I might stick the footage up later and see what you guys think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Don't delete it anyway! If you're not reporting it this time round and you have second incident, then you've plenty of footage to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Go the middle road. There's a cyclist joke in there somewhere. Call DB explain the situation and ask for it to be dealt with informally. Very little may come of it, or his manager might have a quiet word.

You don't get to have a bad day in a 10 ton bus. They're well paid professionals and they have to act like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

jon1981 wrote: »
    I think I needed the venting!

Makikomi makes a good point, that stretch of road is horrendous for bus drivers given the amount of cyclists. I guess we can all have a bad day.

I'll let it slide, hopefully the confrontation with me is enough to cop him on. I might stick the footage up later and see what you guys think.

it is a bad stretch of road but from your description that's not where the incident happened. he should not feel entitled to vent his frustration at you later on using his bus as his weapon of choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ED E wrote: »

Just to clear this issue up, FOI requests are normally free, especially the initial request.

Details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/standards_and_accountability/freedom_of_information.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Probably only lasts a week, max.

Footage of incident with a bus that I promised to share...

Main incident is at 8min 30s and 9min30s. You can see I was ahead of the bus first time and second time he got alot closer!

https://youtu.be/aAdpEZj77fg

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just to clear this issue up, FOI requests are normally free, especially the initial request.

Details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/national_government/standards_and_accountability/freedom_of_information.html#l62fd2

I think I misspoke there. DB arent a true state body so dont fall under FOIA, so you submit a DPC request for CCTV pertaining to your person. A boardsie has written a guide before which I can't find. Theres a paper fee involved of a few euro.

Main incident is at 8min 30s and 9min30s. You can see I was ahead of the bus first time and second time he got alot closer!

Now thats what I call Driving without due care and attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Second instance, what the hell was he playing at? I do think it would be worth sharing it with Dublin Bus.

So I'm right to think this is worth reporting? I probably left it alittle late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I would, I don't think the time elapsed is an issue, it shows an example of dangerous and poor driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The first clip I was thinking, "ah maybe that wasn't so bad, but silly of the bus to start a pass there". The second one at 9:30 was a real WTF moment, and there's traffic there too. Definitely report that to traffic watch. I don't know if I'd bother getting in touch with Dublin Bus, they'll only try and protect their own.

EDIT: I mean you probably should not have left it this long to report, but better late than never right?

The first clip I was thinking, "ah maybe that wasn't so bad, but silly of the bus to start a pass there". The second one at 9:30 was a real WTF moment, and there's traffic there too. Definitely report that to traffic watch. I don't know if I'd bother getting in touch with Dublin Bus, they'll only try and protect their own.

EDIT: I mean you probably should not have left it this long to report, but better late than never right?

When I confronted the driver ( footage i left out), his retort was "well what did you do to me on the corner of the howth road".

See that incident at 5mins 40s.

• Advertisement

I know, I got caught up with overseas work travel and never got back to it. :mad:

Im sure they have to keep a roster of who was driving each bus for several months. You have the time and date, registration and bus number (9009 I think). Plenty for a lookup.

A bad private driver is a medium danger <2hrs a day. A bad bus driver is a serious danger 8hrs a day. 100% report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just don't expect them to care too much - similar incident for me last week - for no reason, no way he just didn't see me - Emailed it to Dublin bus who just replied with a generic response about how their drivers take a safety course every year.

When I confronted the driver ( footage i left out), his retort was "well what did you do to me on the corner of the howth road".

so that demonstrates that he did it out of revenge? i'd 100% report it, as others have said the 2nd move in particular was extremely dangerous.

btw and 100% separate from the revenge aspect i just don't understand why you went to undertake him at that turn to the howth road. in terms of risk to your own safety why would you ever choose to be on the inside of a left turning vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I mean you maneouvre was pretty dumb. Undertaking a bus on a left hand bend? Asking to be squished.

But the bus driver doesn't get to retaliate, ever. He can't run you off the road and say "oh he did xyz to me earlier". That just doesn't work.

I'd actually be removing that part of the video if you were submitting it. It should have no bearing on what happened later.

so that demonstrates that he did it out of revenge? i'd 100% report it, as others have said the 2nd move in particular was extremely dangerous.

btw and 100% separate from the revenge aspect i just don't understand why you went to undertake him at that turn to the howth road. in terms of risk to your own safety why would you ever choose to be on the inside of a left turning vehicle?

I guess, it's hard to tell because of the lack of front footage, but it's actually a wide turn and the cycle lane (faded) continues around the corner. Also (can't be seen) there were 2 cyclists parallel to the bus at the same turn. But point taken.

I'd actually be removing that part of the video if you were submitting it. It should have no bearing on what happened later.

I guess it might have a bearing because the driver referenced it, but agree it's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Danbo! wrote: »
    Just don't expect them to care too much - similar incident for me last week - for no reason, no way he just didn't see me - Emailed it to Dublin bus who just replied with a generic response about how their drivers take a safety course every year.

The council's latest design for the Amiens Street/North Strand cycle route will have every bus stop intersecting with the cycle lane just like in this video, i.e. the cycle lane ends at the bus stop and you have to figure it out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was cycling along the longmile road on Saturday playing a similar game of leapfrog with a Bus, as he stopped I'd pass etc. Anyways after a while he started trying to pass me as close as possible, did it 3 or 4 times only inches from my shoulder with the left side of his bus, clearly these drivers have no cop on or common sense / decency, its unnecessary and outright dangerous should he miscalculate slightly.

• Advertisement

I guess, it's hard to tell because of the lack of front footage, but it's actually a wide turn and the cycle lane (faded) continues around the corner. Also (can't be seen) there were 2 cyclists parallel to the bus at the same turn. But point taken.

i know the turn well, it was on my commute for a long time and still is from time to time. the other things you mentioned don't matter, you simply shouldn't be there.

but i don't want to sidetrack too much, it's such an unbelievable dick move from the driver compounded by his acknowledgement that he did it for punishment. please do report it and let us know how that goes.

Advertisement