Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I got a bike camera

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Inquitus wrote: »
    I was cycling along the longmile road on Saturday playing a similar game of leapfrog with a Bus, as he stopped I'd pass etc. Anyways after a while he started trying to pass me as close as possible, did it 3 or 4 times only inches from my shoulder with the left side of his bus, clearly these drivers have no cop on or common sense / decency, its unnecessary and outright dangerous should he miscalculate slightly.

or should you need to adjust your position in the lane at all due to broken surface / drain cover / gust of wind. these are the things that people who have cameras really need to be reporting on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have reported bus drivers a couple of times in the past and neither were followed up by the company. A report to the Gardai would be better imo but be prepared for them to do nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Definitely report it - and/or push it out a bit on social media and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Moflojo wrote: »
    The council's latest design for the Amiens Street/North Strand cycle route will have every bus stop intersecting with the cycle lane just like in this video, i.e. the cycle lane ends at the bus stop and you have to figure it out yourself.

To be honest, I really like this design - hear me out - It's off road and separated from the path. It doesnt stay off-road at bus stops, meaning no random yield sign before the bus stop, and you don't have peds standing around on the track while waiting for the bus. I've passed this, and the other stop on the same stretch, thousands of times in the last few years and that's been my first issue.

The driver didn't indicate until he was half way past me, and I stupidly assumed he wasn't stopping because I thought "why would he try and pass me?" given 99% of drivers in that situation would have just waited behind. I guess he gambled that he could get by and it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The second one is ridiculous - extremely dangerous in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why are DB and the Gardai not taking these reports seriously?

How do we change this?

Driver swerved for me as he didn't agree with cyclists being on the road, according to him, they belong on the foot path. Reported it to the Gardai and the reply I received was "Sure he didn't hit you, did he?". At that point I thought to myself "if that's the support I get from our law enforcement, i'll take matters into my own hands the next time"...

What the hell are we expected to do with this absolute rash thinking towards us?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How do we change this?

Driver swerved for me as he didn't agree with cyclists being on the road, according to him, they belong on the foot path. Reported it to the Gardai and the reply I received was "Sure he didn't hit you, did he?"...

I wonder if escalation to their superiors, or requesting that in writing is the next step? When I submitted my bike cam footage to the gardai the gard I dealt with was very sympathetic, but it just so happened that he was a cyclist and could relate. He ended up calling to the house of the driver that night and showing him the footage and asking for a comment.

(For clarity, I went through Traffic Watch, which I believe changes things a bit as it is now on the system as an incident requiring follow up.)

How do we change this?

Driver swerved for me as he didn't agree with cyclists being on the road, according to him, they belong on the foot path. Reported it to the Gardai and the reply I received was "Sure he didn't hit you, did he?". At that point I thought to myself "if that's the support I get from our law enforcement, i'll take matters into my own hands the next time"...

What the hell are we expected to do with this absolute rash thinking towards us?

Yeah I'm having a hard time with this. I got the brush off too and it really left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to the gardai. In my case I was hit, while the driver was making an illegal turn, and I had footage. The response was very much "But you're not injured, so we can't do anything :confused:"

It sucks to now just accept these close passes and dangerous treatment from motorists as part of everyday commuting, sure the gardai wouldn't do anything when I was hit, why would they bother when I wasn't.

Had a BMW tailgate me right down the bus lane of the quays this morning. Two gardai on foot patrol strolling along and my first thought was "Ah whats the point". Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Danbo! wrote: »
    Just don't expect them to care too much - similar incident for me last week - for no reason, no way he just didn't see me - Emailed it to Dublin bus who just replied with a generic response about how their drivers take a safety course every year.

I had a similar incident last year, but at least the driver pulled in 'slightly' ahead - only by 4 or 5 seconds or so.

I made a complaint to Dublin Bus, they phoned me to discuss. They gave me the spiel about their busses having cameras too (in a passive aggressive way) and that their drivers have to deal with all sorts of traffic daily.

To which I interrupted and said that I too am a driver (full clean licence for over 25 years), and (at the time) I had a 190km commute to and from work daily. Meaning I also have to deal with all sorts of traffic and all sorts or roads.

I made my complaint in a reasonable manner with a calm tone of voice, saying I didn't want the driver to get into trouble (which I didn't) it was all about respect on the road and awareness of other road users. I kept emphasising the nature of the close pass (on a single white line) and pulling into a stop immediately after - what was to be gained by a couple of seconds. Also, by pulling into the stop meant I had to overtake the stationary bus, adding further risk.

I was then told that the driver would have to attend a mandatory safety course (i.e. the manager had watched the video and agreed the close pass and pulling in warranted further training).

I said, well if that's your policy I suggest bringing your driver to Connolly Station. 'What?' he said. Ask your driver to stand on the platform, between the edge and the yellow line, with his back to the oncoming train. Wait for an express train to pass. That's what it feels like to have a close pass.

He took my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Danbo! wrote: »
    Yeah I'm having a hard time with this. I got the brush off too and it really left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to the gardai. In my case I was hit, while the driver was making an illegal turn, and I had footage. The response was very much "But you're not injured, so we can't do anything :confused:"

And yet when the driver does go on to hurt someone it's an 'accident', and they have a 'clean record'. :mad:
    conkennedy wrote: »
    I said, well if that's your policy I suggest bringing your driver to Connolly Station. 'What?' he said. Ask your driver to stand on the platform, between the edge and the yellow line, with his back to the oncoming train. Wait for an express train to pass. That's what it feels like to have a close pass.

He took my point.

To hell with standing on the platform, try getting them to cycle along the lip of the platform as the train is blasting past. That's a more accurate controlled situation close pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

check_six wrote: »
    To hell with standing on the platform, try getting them to cycle along the lip of the platform as the train is blasting past. That's a more accurate controlled situation close pass.

giphy.gif

conkennedy wrote: »
    ...and that their drivers have to deal with all sorts of traffic daily...

You mean like, your, uh, job? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

jon1981 wrote: »
    Footage of incident with a bus that I promised to share...

Main incident is at 8min 30s and 9min30s. You can see I was ahead of the bus first time and second time he got alot closer!

https://youtu.be/aAdpEZj77fg

I'd be reporting that alright,
    Driver was right though, your move up the inside of the left turning bus onto the Howth Road was ridiculous. Why would you even try that?? You're going to get yourself killed at that stuff.

Advertisement