Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofit central/water heating options - Gas, Heat pump, other?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing an 1940s solid brick 3-4 bed semi-detached house (130m^2, 1400ft^2) which needs a brand new heating system (i.e. it only has storage heaters at present).

As part of the renovation, I'm planning on doing external & roof insulation as a minimum.

In terms of heating, the simplest solution in my mind would be to install a gas boiler, radiators, etc. My very prelim estimate for this is in the order of €10,000 (gas connection, boiler, radiators, piping, labour, etc.). Does this seem reasonable?

However, I like the idea of using renewables and have briefly looked into an Air to Water heat pumps possibly combined with underfloor heating on the ground floor (radiators upstairs). However, I do not know anybody who has one and not much idea about the upfront costs or potential operational savings.
    - Roughly how much would a system cost?
    - How many years would it take to pay itself off?
    - Can it completely remove my need for a gas connection?

Can anybody provide some useful advice or have faced my dilemma before?
    Is there a good website to compare operational costs?
    Is there another better solution?

Advertisement