Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crashed. Lost wheel integrity?

Options
  • 25-04-2017 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I crashed the steel commuter bike the other morning taking a sharp turn into the office car park, I wasn't going particularly fast but came in to the turn rather sharply and the front of the bike just went from under me... No major damage done, few scratches and bruises, kind of felt it happening and tumbled into it accordingly like in mountain biking... Anyhows Iv been wracking my brain trying to figure out what happened, I though I might have jack knifed it or the rear or front wheel just slipped, but it was bone dry and no rubbish or debris or paint on the road... Replacing the front wheel today which was seriously buckled in the crash has me thinking the wheel just lost it integrity when the stress of the sharp turn was placed on it and the whole bike came to an abrupt stop... It's not something I ever considered happening before, does this happen often? The wheel was an old one but the condition was good and the spokes seemed stiff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Have a look at about 17 seconds into this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's an impact from another bike though? looks like the wheels collided, or am i reading that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I can't find it now, but there's a photo of the incident. And it shows Cav's wheel collapsing under the stress of a change in direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you skip to 53s, it looks distinctly like hausler (sp?) collided with him precisely at the moment his wheel collapses. will try to find that still.
    1:14 shows similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Had it happen to me on an MTB years ago when taking a corner, but the fact I had some additional weight on the crossbar at the time may have been a considerable factor.

• Advertisement

a passenger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip, on what was until then my hardy Raleigh Lizard. Turned a corner fairly slowly and it just went, can't complain really as I doubt it was rated for two.

Advertisement