Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excess skin removal on medical card

• 25-04-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello all
    I was almost 16st and now weight just over 12st. My healthy bmi is 9.5st and I plan on reaching this target. I'm just turned 40. However already I have a huge amount of excess skin and it really getting me down. Does anyone know of anyone who has been successful in getting this operation on the medical card. Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I'm going to quit my job tomorrow, fudge this paying tax shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I know of 2 people from a jogging club I was in getting it done in the medical card with in the last 2 years, how they went about it I've no idea, all I know is one recovered well and was back in the group quick enough, the second was in terrible pain with recurring infections from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

b_mac2 wrote: »

Carry on. There will never be full employment and there doesn't need to be. Take some time out and let someone without tons of cash or higher aspirations than you have the job for a while.

For all we know the OP is employed one way or another and simply has a low income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

For all you know they could have a disability, perhaps you'd prefer to take the place of a disabled person with a medical card instead of working and paying tax?

Op it's quite hard to get anything like that without an incredibly good reason and even if it's possible you'll be waiting on a list for a long time.

This procedure is purely a cosmetic one, to reverse the effects from years of over eating. If the OP wants it, save up like everyone else has to.

Meanwhile... http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/patients-plead-with-hse-to-fund-backlog-of-vital-drugs-35618911.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Whatever about how it is paid for, to suggest it's purely cosmetic is a fallacy. Loose skin can cause all manner of health problems, including infections caused by friction and constant pain/discomfort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Incorrect, I'd check if I were you where you got your medical degree.

If you are talking about the tummy area there are two procedures. An aprondectomy and an abdominoplasty. Generally, an abdominoplasty won't be covered by insurance and nor by medical card. Saying this I know of a case where the patient had this approved because of lipodystrophy as a result of medication.

Aprondectomy, is a less complicated procedure, there is no tightening on the muscle just removal of excess skin, this will be covered by the medical card and insurance companies once clinical factors are met.

I hope that helps. Best of luck.
    This procedure is purely a cosmetic one, to reverse the effects of years of over eating. If the OP wants it, save up like everyone else has to.

Meanwhile... http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/patients-plead-with-hse-to-fund-backlog-of-vital-drugs-35618911.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

This procedure is purely a cosmetic one, to reverse the effects from years of over eating. If the OP wants it, save up like everyone else has to.

The cases I was referring to wasnt just cosmetic there was severe chaffing from the excess skin while exercising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A friend of mine, who does not have a medical card, is on the waiting list to get excess skin removed in the public health system. She's been waiting literal years, however. She had a date, showed up, and it turned out someone had not bothered booking nurses for the day so the whole thing had to be cancelled even though the surgeon and patients showed up :/

She's still waiting for a new date.

Ignore assholes like b_mac2 above. A) Excess skin is a sign that someone was overweight but did the right thing by losing it, which means they'll be less of a burden on the healthcare system for the rest of their life, which we should encourage, and B) excess skin is absolutely not just cosmetic.

Zillah wrote: »
    Ignore assholes like b_mac2 above.

Call me all the names you want. I'm sick to death of picking up the tab, because people refuse to hold themselves accountable for their own poor health/education choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Call me all the names you want. I'm sick to death of picking up the tab, because people refuse to hold themselves accountable for their own poor health/education choices.

People also need to realise that society benefits from everyone looking after each other to a point AND that the medical advice being given about weight and weight loss is bollocks. Furthermore, it's been shown why this is actually saving you and I money so maybe take it to politics or AH? Or maybe just follow through if it's that good and quit your job.

But this rage you have when you are not in possession of all the facts is not good for you.

You don't know why the OP gained weight/lost weight. Weight gain/loss is much more complex than the lazy argument. Medication, chronic conditions, mental health can all contribute to weight gain/loss.

You are not picking up the tab for anyone.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    You are not picking up the tab for anyone.

My P60 says otherwise.

You have a very detailed P60 that it says it's paying for an aprondectomy.

My P60 says otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

My P60 says otherwise.

Hate the game not the players.

Don't like the game, then stop playing, simple.

You obviously don't understand how a tax system works.

You have come onto a thread seeking medical advise to exert your superiority, judgement and misdirected rage.

I do not judge people for the medical procedures they need to have, that is one slippery slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

mightyreds wrote:
    I know of 2 people from a jogging club I was in getting it done in the medical card with in the last 2 years, how they went about it I've no idea, all I know is one recovered well and was back in the group quick enough, the second was in terrible pain with recurring infections from it.

Infections are a likely consequence from significant surgery. For the OP the most likely issue is how long the editing list is for non serous surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Oh really? I think you'll find there are actual illnesses that cause people to put on weight, underactive thyroid being one, depression being another.

But anyway. Give up work and have enough saved to cover yourself for the 9 weeks you won't get a penny.
    People not working are having a high old time of it on less than €200 a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

you obviously don't unterstand this is the Fitness board and not politics. Keep your opinions on medical cards to yourself. Please don't post on this thread again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

A friend of mine, who does not have a medical card, is on the waiting list to get excess skin removed in the public health system. She's been waiting literal years, however. She had a date, showed up, and it turned out someone had not bothered booking nurses for the day so the whole thing had to be cancelled even though the surgeon and patients showed up :/

Ignore assholes like b_mac2 above. A) Excess skin is a sign that someone was overweight but did the right thing by losing it, which means they'll be less of a burden on the healthcare system for the rest of their life, which we should encourage, and B) excess skin is absolutely not just cosmetic.

please don't call people assholes. Use the report function to report any suspected arseholery

they/them/theirs

please don't call people assholes. Use the report function to report any suspected arseholery

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Im seeing more and more trolling on boards, the OP asked a simple question and one TROLL goes off on one and de-rails the entire thread.

If you disagree without the full picture, what does that make you ?

Even if the OP has stated (which he didnt) that he doesnt want to work, the correct response is, I dont agree with the state paying for this procedure, not what was posted previously by one troll that thinks hes single handly holding up the social welfare system..

Its a shame that these trolls, and thats exactly what they are, are not simply removed from boards permanantly ..

To the OP, I have no idea about your circumstances and its none of my business, but ask your doctor, or call the relevent health board and enquire..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hello all I was almost 16st and now weight just over 12st.

Well done to you. I've lost a stone myself (3 more to go).

Good on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

On a side note to this my sister and her husband get a letter each from the tax crowd in England every year showing then how much tax they paid and where it's gone. IRIC it's broken down to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

You are not picking up the tab for anyone... there is no need for you to be so horrible. Worry about your own tab!

Advertisement