Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Aluminium frames for racing

Options
  • 25-04-2017 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I am thinking of taking up cycling racing. I know it needs a lot of commitment and I am ready for that. But I don't think I can afford a carbon bike well at least I could but with terrible components so I think an ALU bike would be better with good components. I was looking at a cannondale caad12 or specialized allez sprint. Would it be OK for racing in 17-18 range?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Aluminium frames are absolutely fine for racing, and specifically are less likely to suffer any catastrophic damage than carbon ones (as they will give/bend a little rather than snapping)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A CAAD anything is a fine bike. I know lads who deliberately leave their posh carbon in the shed and take their Al bikes racing. Don't race what you can't replace, as the saying goes. CAAD12 is as racy as bikes get.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Thanks guys. Phew that's a relief I just needed assurance now I finally know what bike I am aiming for!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I race on alu. It's an epic ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I'd also consider either a Kinesis Aithein or Bowman Palace if you're looking at aluminium frames. Can't speak for the bowman but the Aithein is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Plenty of people race on alu, these days they come in pretty light. I love the look of the Cannondales.

Stevens Veulta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I had the exact same question, down to the choice of bikes. I reckon once you are comfortable on the bike and in a decent position your not losing out too much, if at all. I have a supersix evo as my nice bike and don't fancy racing that so was looking for something Alu too, Caad12, Specialized Allez sprint and Bowman were all on my list, all get great reviews too so I wouldn't say you can go wrong with any of them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

the Canyon Ultimate Al(uminum) are also a great bike... know a few racing on them. wouldnt say no and you can get a great spec for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Cannondale Pro team use Alu bikes last season for some events, I seem to recall. If it's good enough for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Did you ever buy an alu frame after?Ive just placed an order for the Bowman PalaceR on back order so not due till end of October but looks a sweet machine I do like a simple BB should be a nice little build over the winter will be my 1st build from scratch so should be interesting I do plan to race on it next season and keep the TCR adv sl for the more leisurely spin or hilly sportive caad 12 is a fine frame also but bowman just snuck it looks wise for me and exchange rate is favourable at the moment..

I bought an alu Specialized allez DSW, love it, it's a great bike. No real weight penalty over a carbon bike, handles well, don't feel anymore uncomfortable on it than a carbon bike but it does have carbon bars and seat post.

Bowman is a gorgeous bike, was between that and the specialized for me, only went for the Specialized cos I got it in the sagan colour. 360 cycles recently built one up and had it on their facebook page, really good looking bike.

joey100 wrote: »
    I bought an alu Specialized allez DSW, love it, it's a great bike. No real weight penalty over a carbon bike, handles well, don't feel anymore uncomfortable on it than a carbon bike but it does have carbon bars and seat post.

Bowman is a gorgeous bike, was between that and the specialized for me, only went for the Specialized cos I got it in the sagan colour. 360 cycles recently built one up and had it on their facebook page, really good looking bike.

Yeah the Specialized rates very well on any review and looks great is it a press fit bb or threaded?

Pressfit, and an awkward specialized specific size, little different than bb30 so had to get adaptors to run a shimano crank. Bit creaky and a pain but no complaints other than that.

You getting the bowman in the green or black?

joey100 wrote: »
    Pressfit, and an awkward specialized specific size, little different than bb30 so had to get adaptors to run a shimano crank. Bit creaky and a pain but no complaints other than that.

You getting the bowman in the green or black?

Black I just couldn't live with that green

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Those Palace:R's are a great looking machine. I was hoping to pull the trigger on one recently but in the end picked up a CAAD10 frameset locally.

I had never ridden a modern top-end aluminium bike before and was very cynical towards some of the "as good as if not better than carbon" hyperbole. I've been blown away by it though, absolutely outrageous frame. Blows away the Planet X SL Pro frame I had in the past, and the Ribble R872 frame that I still have. I built it up with largely the same components that I had on a Storck Absolutist and it is easily as good a ride as that, if not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Don't race , but I have a caad 9 Alu frame with carbon forks , crank, seat post and saddle. Full ultegra group set, Matt black and white decal, lovely looking bike and a lovely ride too. I've a brand new trek emonda pro , full carbon frame and wheels also with full ultegra group set, again a lovely look and a great ride too. Both feel light, trek would be lighter, but caad 9 doesn't feel heavier when I go out on it , unlike my old steel frame that feels a ton weight !

The modern alu frames are very good in most cases and can be worked and formed just as good as carbon with modern technologies in a lot of cases hard to tell the difference duratec and Nich seem to do a good race geometry models also

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Alu is absolute great (not just fine) for races, especially if you are not looking for long climbs races, where half a kg could make a difference on final performance (does it??!!?).
    If I were you I'd go for an older frame (what about Caad 8? Caad 9? I personally have a Caad3, set up with dura-ace 7800 I think it's fabulous!) and I'd go for high quality wheels and group - you would end up with a great bike at very reasonable price!
    And remember racing is made with legs! :pac:
    MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking of taking up cycling racing. I know it needs a lot of commitment and I am ready for that. But I don't think I can afford a carbon bike well at least I could but with terrible components so I think an ALU bike would be better with good components. I was looking at a cannondale caad12 or specialized allez sprint. Would it be OK for racing in 17-18 range?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Sorry for the late update. Got a lapierre aluminium bike weighs like a feather love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I wont race on carbon again. The sound of snapping carbon sticks in your head. Also, I think my confidence on descents would go out the window if I was using a carbon bike that had crashed previously.
    So, got me used CAAD10 last week. If I go back racing next year, I plan to use it. Haven't tried it out yet, but it feels light, even with crappy wheels. If I like the bike, I might do a rebuild project. They look great in stealth mode.

I went for the Bowman in the end due for delivery end of the month then the build begins have been picking up a few bits here and there have the makings of a DA 9000 groupset probably overkill but should look **** hot I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Dont forget to post pics in due course!

Any excuse for me to put up pictures of my Alu bike, Specialized Allez Sprint DSW, Sagan colours. As good as any carbon bike I've cycled, doesn't seem any heavier either.

37421008782_9c289bb56d_c.jpg

37404467546_1d02997565_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is that real grass? Major grass envy if it is!

Damn it, now I have to clean my bike and put up a pic.

@lusk Doyle, well spotted, nah it's fake stuff. Looks like that all year round, not a real plant or grass in the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I use a Bowman Palace for racing and I tend for hilly races. A mere Shimano 105 on it and it's gotten me fairly good results. Bowman are a great company to deal with. Highly Recommended.

On instagram (can't link in work), bowman have put up a picture of a matte black/gloss black palace r frameset that they have limited numbers and sizes of for sale. Looks the business, every now and again they release limited edition colours and advertise them usually through social media. Just in case anyone is looking and was interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beasty wrote: »
    Aluminium frames are absolutely fine for racing, and specifically are less likely to suffer any catastrophic damage than carbon ones (as they will give/bend a little rather than snapping)
    Beasty is occasionally right, it seems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0stL5Q9b_oo

Advertisement