Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tina Watson, I still see the image of her and how he describes her. Not a clear cut answer to the end but one of their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Silk Road was excellent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Steviesol wrote: »
    Good call listened to both today, any more recommendations? Thanks

08 Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman
    18 The North Hollywood shootout
    36 Amok
    37 The Yorkshire Ripper (3 episodes)
    44 Peter Falconio
    45 Port Arthur
    49 The Moors Murders (3 parts)
    54 Daniel Morcombe
    60 Jonestown (3 parts)

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just finished the latest episode. 78:The Janabi Family.

Fantastic episode. Really interesting and insightful into what happens in war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Was it said who was the commanding officer at the road block?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The Mia Zapata one was good. Hadn't heard that name in a very long time and actually made me check out some of her music. Pretty decent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Amok is also a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The Mia Zapata one was good. Hadn't heard that name in a very long time and actually made me check out some of her music. Pretty decent!

Such a horrific case. A wasted talent...poor girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Was it said who was the commanding officer at the road block?

According to the casefile narrtion Cortez was in charge of the checkpoint, but he was't an officer.

Such a horrific case. A wasted talent...poor girl

For sure. At least justice was done in the end. Another member of the 27 club.

• Advertisement

Some of these cases would make you despair for humanity. The Daniel morecambe one always stuck with me.

Some of these cases would make you despair for humanity. The Daniel morecambe one always stuck with me.

There's a few very grim ones. Sword & Scale is even darker than Casefile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Found the Janabi family one particularly sickening I must say - there have been worse episodes in terms of content but this really made my stomach turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Spoilers here on janabi so don’t read on if you haven’t listened..

Nothing will cause my blood to run colder than the Moors murders. The premeditation is what is chilling and there is also the pleasure taken in the execution of the crimes and the media spotlight

The Janabi murders were so pointless and just done on a whim. So sick that they almost got away with it and the whistleblower has had abuse from “patriots”

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Some just show how random things can be, like Daniel Morcombe, was the bus late or broken down? Can’t remember exactly but his fathers words at the end had me bawling. I tend to try avoid the kiddie ones can’t listen/watch stuff like that since having the smallies.
    Losing a child especially in such circumstances really is a fate worse than death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

pc7 wrote: »
    Some just show how random things can be, like Daniel Morcombe, was the bus late or broken down? Can’t remember exactly but his fathers words at the end had me bawling. I tend to try avoid the kiddie ones can’t listen/watch stuff like that since having the smallies.
    Losing a child especially in such circumstances really is a fate worse than death.

I’ll never for as long as I love forget his father’s words at the end. Absolutely heartbreaking.

There's a few very grim ones. Sword & Scale is even darker than Casefile!

Sword and Scale is pretty grim alright. But love Casefile narrator. He's brilliant and he's so respectful during the particularly sensitive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

pc7 wrote: »

I think the bus was late and didn’t stop for him as there was a second one coming not long behind, by time the second bus came he was gone. :(... I think the bus was trying to make up time by not stopping.

I’ll never for as long as I love forget his father’s words at the end. Absolutely heartbreaking.

That one was dreadful alright. Poor kid.

Casefile is definitely the best true crime podcast I've found. The narrator is fantastic. Would love to know who he is :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Dread Pirate Roberts

That one was dreadful alright. Poor kid.

Casefile is definitely the best true crime podcast I've found. The narrator is fantastic. Would love to know who he is :D

He was found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Oh, he has? Who is he? Did a quick Google but came up with Nada!

Morby wrote: »
    Oh, he has? Who is he? Did a quick Google but came up with Nada!

chap called brad. started it up while recovering at home from a broken arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

One more true crime podcast that I've recently discovered that I'd also recommend to people is Small Town Dicks.

Two presenters - one of whom is Yeardly Smith, AKA Lisa Simpson - talk to two real life detectives about their most memorable cases. The detectives are supposedly brothers, but it's hard to know for sure because they're using assumed names and names have also been changed in the cases being discussed, in order to protect victims etc, etc.

Anyway it's pretty interesting listening to my ears and it's cool to hear about the real world experience of the people doing the actual investigating; sometimes this aspect of the nitty-gritty gets overlooked in similarish pods, even though, for me, it's the most fascinating aspect of most true crime tales.

The show manages to pull off that neat Casefile like trick of being respectful towards the victims of crime and avoids falling down the hole of becoming mawkish sensationalist rubbish like Sword and Scale - which truly sickens my hole. Though some of it is extremely hard to listen to: I listened to one of the detective's detailed account of being present at the autopsy on the body of a somewhat over-ripe and hefty lady and it was honestly the most ghastly sounding thing I'd ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Arghus wrote: »
    One more true crime podcast that I've recently discovered that I'd also recommend to people is Small Town Dicks.

Two presenters - one of whom is Yeardly Smith, AKA Lisa Simpson - talk to two real life detectives about their most memorable cases. The detectives are supposedly brothers, but it's hard to know for sure because they're using assumed names and names have also been changed in the cases being discussed, in order to protect victims etc, etc.

Anyway it's pretty interesting listening to my ears and it's cool to hear about the real world experience of the people doing the actual investigating; sometimes this aspect of the nitty-gritty gets overlooked in similarish pods, even though, for me, it's the most fascinating aspect of most true crime tales.

The show manages to pull off that neat Casefile like trick of being respectful towards the victims of crime and avoids falling down the hole of becoming mawkish sensationalist rubbish like Sword and Scale - which truly sickens my hole. Though some of it is extremely hard to listen to: I listened to one of the detective's detailed account of being present at the autopsy on the body of a somewhat over-ripe and hefty lady and it was honestly the most ghastly sounding thing I'd ever heard.

I find 'My Favourite Murder' & 'True Crime Garage' quite hard to listen for their lack of brevity also - laughing and joking while discussing murder is a bit off I think.

optogirl wrote: »
    I find 'My Favourite Murder' & 'True Crime Garage' quite hard to listen for their lack of brevity also - laughing and joking while discussing murder is a bit off I think.

I like TCG. They do have the banter but are generally respectful, IMO.

I enjoy Thinking Sideways but the 3 presenters def take the piss a little too much, which can be unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Grateful Dread

He was found

Hmmm. New account. Posts in the podcast thread....

...name from the Casefile episodes on Silk Road?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The recent podcast about the murders in Iraq was brilliant. It was a very messed up scenario. The book that inspired the podcast "Black Hearts" is superb for any of ye interested, gives more insight into how messed up the whole situation was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Anyone remember the audio book for Silk Road he mentioned. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt For The Criminal Mastermind Behind The Silk Road

There's another book called Silk Road that was referenced

• Advertisement

Serious twists and turns in the latest one. Christ almighty. Who needs enemies when you have a family like that.

Advertisement