Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Options

Comments

Case 85: Tom Brown -> sort of pointless episode I thought. High school senior goes missing. Pretty much nothing to reveal and not much of a story to tell around it- what's the point? Not very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah it was a very weird ep. Nothing at all in it to peak interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Think it would have been interesting in another podcast or documentary format where the production team were in the town.

Strong suggestions of foul play & cover ups.

Didn’t the police initially say suicide without any evidence whatsoever. Then they saying it was a runaway when someone is driving out to the wilderness and never touches their bank account.

Definitely more to that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Yeah bit of a pointless one this week but sure hopefully it raises awareness of the case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hansgruber at gmail.com

New episode: Amy Allwine.
    The 31st of May 2016 was much like any other day. Until the monotony was broken up by a visit from the FBI. Although not an everyday occurrence, it was not completely out of the ordinary for the FBI to contact local police as a courtesy to let them know that they were investigating a crime in their area...

Going to save it for my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Fantastic episode, after last weeks under par episode, this is a welcome return to form for Casefile.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Amazing one this week. One of my favourites so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

FBI f up big time?

Yes interesting case this week and there was even a bit of mis-direction by the narrator in the presentation (e.g withholding profession of a people until late in story) to throw you off the scent a bit before confirming the guilty party.
    Not sure why such a strange drug like that was used as part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah bit of a pointless one this week but sure hopefully it raises awareness of the case anyway.

Think it was on twitter they (casefile) were saying they wanted to use the case to show that not every mystery is solved and that sometimes it is simply a matter of "no one knows". There was nothing before the disappearance to suggest something was wrong, no one appeared to be acting too unusual afterwards, evidence pointed to no one........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

glasso wrote: »
    Not sure why such a strange drug like that was used as part of it.

It seemed a bit unnecessary alright.. can’t imagine why he needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

New episode is bloody great. Ffs, only in America :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Missed the past 2 weeks episodes so I listened back to back on a car journey over the weekend. The Tom Brown case was unsatisfying but that’s the nature of the case and it is desperately sad for his family. The Amy Allwine case however was bonkers! Has anyone read the researchers book? Eileen something-or-other...it’s about the dark web? Her research on the Dread Pirate Roberts was fantastic.

Looks like the next Casefile will be Elaine O’Hara case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

fg1406 wrote: »
    Looks like the next Casefile will be Elaine O’Hara case.

What makes you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Local this week Elaine o hara has just dropped will be interesting to how they handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 hansgruber at gmail.com

Update on the Silk Road episode - Variety Jones has been extradited to the US to face trial.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/ross-ulbrichts-alleged-confidante-variety-jones-extradited-to-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just finished listening to episode 87 Elaine O’Hara. Excellent as usual, really painted a great picture of who Elaine was and what happened to her. Great descriptions of the area and good pronunciation of place names. It shows genuine care was taken. I was familiar with the details and regularly walk around Shanganagh park but this brought it alive better than newspaper reports and other podcasts have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That’s great to hear, I requested it off them last year. Can’t wait to hear how they do it. Going to wait until I can get out for a walk and enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I just recently started listening to Podcasts and finished Serial and found Casefile thanks to this thread. Thank God! I'm a huge true crime fan...I listened to the Wanda Beach one, I knew that story before and currently in the middle of Jennifer Pan based on recommendations here...I like to dip in and out and not listen in order. Any other stand out ones?

I love the narrator's delivery, it's perfect and the background music just adds to it.

Thank you again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I think the port arthur one and the Peter falconio one are brilliant.also the Yorkshire ripper.its a three parter.with such detail its incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I think the port arthur one and the Peter falconio one are brilliant.also the Yorkshire ripper.its a three parter.with such detail its incredible.

I'll give those a go next. You're right about the detail, I've watched every True Crime show going but the detail in these podcasts, so far, is just incredible. Fair play to the research team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The Elaine O'Hara podcast was good. It put her side of the story across very well.

It could have easily been a two parter though. It didn't really go into what O'Dywer was getting up to before he met her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

They're two of the first I listened to and was hooked from then on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

The Elaine O'Hara podcast was good. It put her side of the story across very well.

It could have easily been a two parter though. It didn't really go into what O'Dywer was getting up to before he met her.

I think it was respectful, other podcasts would have focused more on sensational parts of the story

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I never knew there was someone who suggested him anonymously. Casefile did a good job, defo think it could have been longer.
    Such a sad case, amazes me how everything just lined up to nail the fooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Has anyone ever suggested the Joe O'Reilly case to them?

Has the makings of a great episode given the good police work that went into catching him (ie. the use of phone records) and his very public appearances such as the Late Late Show. A lot of information out there they could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

An excellent podcast and very respectful to Elaine o Hara. Dwyer is a very dangerous individual. Pity Elaine had to die to get him behind bars.

Did anyone cop the anonymous tip comment at the end?? Wonder was that his wife ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Amy Allwine case was interesting but I have to say,
    I never really doubted it was her husband who killed her right from the start
    . They only other option I thought there might be was
    that she was suicidal but wanted someone else to kill her as she was too religious to do it herself.

Advertisement