Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

bobsman wrote: »
    Did anyone cop the anonymous tip comment at the end?? Wonder was that his wife ??

My guess would be that it was someone involved in the same fetish scene that Graham was in, and that maybe he divulged too much information to them about what he'd done in an attempt to impress them. Just a guess, as it would explain the desire to remain anonymous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Did anyone cop the anonymous tip comment at the end?? Wonder was that his wife ??

I suppose we'll never know, just amazing they got him. I know his wife and kids left the country and don't live here anymore, can't say I blame them. I've always wondered was Elaine his first rodeo or will more come to light perhaps with DNA in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Only halfway through the Elaine O'Hara but the amount of research they do into these cases is amazing. They would put the newspapers and news sites to shame.

fixxxer wrote: »
    The Amy Allwine case was interesting but I have to say,
    I never really doubted it was her husband who killed her right from the start
    . They only other option I thought there might be was
    that she was suicidal but wanted someone else to kill her as she was too religious to do it herself.

it was just presented that way to make it more interesting - which worked imo. it's not an Agatha Christie story.

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Has anyone ever suggested the Joe O'Reilly case to them?

Has the makings of a great episode given the good police work that went into catching him (ie. the use of phone records) and his very public appearances such as the Late Late Show. A lot of information out there they could use.

probably have to be careful on this one as he's still launching challenges and appeals (even though supreme court denied appeal in 2016) every now and then - I assume that's why it's not covered.
    even the late late interview is nowhere to be found on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

glasso wrote: »
    probably have to be careful on this one as he's still launching challenges and appeals (even though supreme court denied appeal in 2016) every now and then - I assume that's why it's not covered.
    even the late late interview is nowhere to be found on the internet.

I suggested both the O'Reilly & O'Hara cases to them a long time ago (over a year I'd say).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Only halfway through the Elaine O'Hara but the amount of research they do into these cases is amazing. They would put the newspapers and news sites to shame.

Read an article in a newspaper that you know something about. That's when you realise how bad most newspaper articles are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Just finished the Elaine O'Hara episode. I thought it was very well done. It left out a lot of the more lurid aspects (like the videos that were shown at the trial) but I think it came across more respectful for it. There's no doubt the poor woman met a horrible end and had been through a lot of awful stuff beforehand and they did a good job of getting that across without too much graphic detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭al87987

Enjoyed the O'Hara case but I did just want a bit more info on Dwyer and would have liked his part to be explored a little more in depth. Very good though and weird hearing Dublin places being talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I told my partner there was an Irish Episode of Casefile and told him it was the Elaine O'Hara case, he asked which one is that and then mentioned Graham Dwyer and he obviously knew immediately then what it was about.

I liked that Elaine was the focus of the podcast rather than him, he's so vile, I think it was done as respectfully as they could without censoring the information.

Very weird to hear him talk about an Irish case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

So many extraordinary coincidences lead to Dwyer's arrest. He almost got away with it....mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

only recently got into casefile....was riveted in suspense listening to the o Hara episode....until the ad for women's yoga pants!! ruined the suspense. I'm glad the creator is getting some rewards for his work although I wonder would the Patreon model be better suited to this type of content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    only recently got into casefile....was riveted in suspense listening to the o Hara episode....until the ad for women's yoga pants!! ruined the suspense. I'm glad the creator is getting some rewards for his work although I wonder would the Patreon model be better suited to this type of content.

I'm pretty sure he does have a Patreon set up

Graham Dwyer is a horrible cúnt, it's scary to think how close he was to getting away with it. Link stolen from the reddit thread, but some texts below:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/elaine-o-hara-text-said-i-don-t-want-you-to-stab-me-any-more-1.2076164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

glasso wrote: »
    it was just presented that way to make it more interesting - which worked imo. it's not an Agatha Christie story.

If I wasn't clear, I meant from the Police point of view as well as ours. They knew his profession and the person making the threats had such detailed knowledge that they had to be someone really close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Graham Dwyer is a horrible cúnt, it's scary to think how close he was to getting away with it. Link stolen from the reddit thread, but some texts below:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/elaine-o-hara-text-said-i-don-t-want-you-to-stab-me-any-more-1.2076164

Jesus, never seen the messages layed out in full like that, that poor woman. Ive no doubt that this wasnt his first killing...an absolute animal

allybhoy wrote: »
    Jesus, never seen the messages layed out in full like that, that poor woman. Ive no doubt that this wasnt his first killing...an absolute animal

I didn't really follow the case when it was actually happening, but after reading up a bit about it, he really was a horrible human. I hope he's having a tough time in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What are the chances of him ever being released? He has to be one of, if not the most dangerous criminals this country has ever produced. Reading those texts makes me hope he’ll never walk among civil society again.
    I thought they did a great job with the podcast, respect was shown and care given to the pronunciation of names and places. It didn’t really get into too much detail about how this was such a sick fantasy of Dwyer’s. It spared him a lot of sadistic truths. I thought the ending was a little rushed, but am glad it got recognition. Poor Elaine :(

It didn’t really get into too much detail about how this was such a sick fantasy of Dwyer’s. It spared him a lot of sadistic truths.

Yeah, I'm kinda torn because anyone unfamiliar with the case (i.e. not Irish) still wouldn't have a clear idea of what an absolute sicko he was after the podcast. But there's a fine balance to be struck between getting the events across and glorifying (?) them.

I don't know if 'glorifying' is the right word. But some shows try to make these things almost titillating, and I don't think that's right. It's hard to walk the line between the two, especially in cases like this where there is a sexual aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Vojera wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm kinda torn because anyone unfamiliar with the case (i.e. not Irish) still wouldn't have a clear idea of what an absolute sicko he was after the podcast. But there's a fine balance to be struck between getting the events across and glorifying (?) them.

I don't know if 'glorifying' is the right word. But some shows try to make these things almost titillating, and I don't think that's right. It's hard to walk the line between the two, especially in cases like this where there is a sexual aspect.

I know what you mean; I thought the media coverage of the trial dwelt too much on salacious detail. Poor Elaine, it was so terrible how he preyed on her vulnerability.

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    I know what you mean; I thought the media coverage of the trial dwelt too much on salacious detail. Poor Elaine, it was so terrible how he preyed on her vulnerability.
    The way he tries to talk her into allowing him to murder her, as though he'd be doing her a favour. Despicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

hollypink wrote: »

That's most depressing aspect of the whole case. When you read about it in any detail at all you realise that there's nothing salacious about it: it's a horribly grim case of a vulnerable woman preyed upon and exploited by a sick fcker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

There's a Q&A on their FB page and they said Elaines case was one of the most requested they've had to date. They must have a huge Irish audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wow he’s fooked going by some of the sentences handed out for those involved. Great episodes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Another Casefile fan here, it is such a well put together show. I just finished Daniel Morcombe and the police approach was unbelievable. There are so many cases that seem the balance of catching someone or not is so small, I really love to see great police work.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Anyone listen to the Lindsay Buziak case ??. Bizarre :confused:

Anyone listen to the Lindsay Buziak case ??. Bizarre :confused:
    So weird. But tbh it kinda seems like they know who did it but there's a money influence there that's stopping them investigating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Just listened to The Win Family episode.

What a horrific crime that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

delly wrote: »
    Another Casefile fan here, it is such a well put together show. I just finished Daniel Morcombe and the police approach was unbelievable. There are so many cases that seem the balance of catching someone or not is so small, I really love to see great police work.

Listened to that one last night. great episode.

Advertisement