Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casefile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Jennifer Pan. Crazy stuff, the interrogation videos are worth a watch.

I thought he deserved more respect, he was The Countdown Champ after all :D

The Jennifer pan episode is definitely one of the best podcasts ive ever listened to. It couldn’t switch it off. The tapes are compelling listening.

The countdown video with his 2 made up words are hilarious! He is properly dangerous underneath it all. He has serious mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

....just listened to the Shannon Mathews episode....wow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Have started listening to Trace, an Australian crime podcast about the murder of a mother in her bookshop. Good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Have started listening to Trace, an Australian crime podcast about the murder of a mother in her bookshop. Good so far.

Great. Will check that out. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thought the new one was nicely produced as always but a bit pointless. Yer man is some creep all the same!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I liked the new one - though for a large portion of it, I was convinced that they fell victim to autocorrect when publishing "Ella Tundra" as the episode name when her name was Ella Durant.

I enjoyed it, but it was a very strange one to pick considering there was no murder and the girl was in and out of hospital in the space of a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I liked the new one - though for a large portion of it, I was convinced that they fell victim to autocorrect when publishing "Ella Tundra" as the episode name when her name was Ella Durant.

I enjoyed it, but it was a very strange one to pick considering there was no murder and the girl was in and out of hospital in the space of a few hours.

I thought the lack of murder made a refreshing change, to be honest. I loved Casefile's coverage of the Silk Road affair and that was lacking in murder, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I felt very angry after listening to the Ella Tundra episode. I'm sure there is mental illness involved, but the amount of self centeredness involved to be that delusional is absolutely astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

fixxxer wrote: »
    I felt very angry after listening to the Ella Tundra episode. I'm sure there is mental illness involved, but the amount of self centeredness involved to be that delusional is absolutely astounding.

Narcissism can be a dangerous condition. That episode reminded me of a guy that used to post on boards. Absolutely obsessed with other people’s opinions of himself, his life revolved around his online persona and the people that had the audacity to disagree with him. The sort of person you expect to hear about on the news some day for all the wrong reasons.
    Reminded me of Elliot Rodger too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Signed up with patreon but there nothing much on it. Pods are released on a Thurs. About 4 mini pods and an update show with himself having an informal chat with one of the writers. They hope to have an update show once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Latest episode Carly Ryan was very good. I really enjoy the episodes which have internet connections. Very dark. Very sad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah very sad, especially when it was all so new and people didn’t have the knowledge they have now. Her poor family, good to hear the new laws they brought in.

Although my deepest sympathies go to the mother, she was very very naive. I can't help but think this could have been very easily avoided. She had the right gut instincts. The situation had dodgy all over it from the get go.
    1. How does it happen that you have never even met your boyfriend and his father is coming to your birthday party?
    2. The dangers of online relationships were way more visible in 2006 than they are today. If anything we have let our guard down much more. 
    3. The mother had gut feelings and ignored them. The poor women must be devastated now. 
    4. Who goes shopping for lingerie with their boyfriend's father?
    5. The part where Shane was lying on the bed with Carly gave me the shivers. 
    There is something about online predators that is very disturbing. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Although my deepest sympathies go to the mother, she was very very naive. I can't help but think this could have been very easily avoided. She had the right gut instincts. The situation had dodgy all over it from the get go.
    1. How does it happen that you have never even met your boyfriend and his father is coming to your birthday party?
    2. The dangers of online relationships were way more visible in 2006 than they are today. If anything we have let our guard down much more. 
    3. The mother had gut feelings and ignored them. The poor women must be devastated now. 
    4. Who goes shopping for lingerie with their boyfriend's father?
    5. The part where Shane was lying on the bed with Carly gave me the shivers. 
    There is something about online predators that is very disturbing. 

Indeed.
    I thought it was a massive red flag when she allowed him to stay over in their house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The mother was immature...to say the least, red flags all over this one. If it happened in 2000 then you might be more understanding but the threat online was well established by 2006.

3 other questions;
    Why did the mother not ring the police about her daughter being molested?
    Did the mother not alert the police to the events leading up to her daughter’s murder?
    Why was the perp’s son acquitted? Should he have been charged with accessory to murder?

Seldom more angry with the victims of the crime after listening to an episode

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭shannonman81

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The mother was immature...to say the least, red flags all over this one. If it happened in 2000 then you might be more understanding but the threat online was well established by 2006.

3 other questions;
    Did the mother not alert the police to the events leading up to her daughter’s murder?
    Why was the perp’s son acquitted? Should he have been charged with accessory to murder?

I got from the start of it that she had the kid while she was very young.. And he did say they were more like sisters so I'm just wondering how motherly and clued in the mother was.
    It's a tragic case and very infuriating. It would be lovely to say we have moved on and it doesn't happen anyone but I think it's even more prevalent and common now.

Did I hear wrong or did it say the son had been charged with other sexual offences since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »

3 other questions;

I got from the start of it that she had the kid while she was very young.. And he did say they were more like sisters so I'm just wondering how motherly and clued in the mother was.
    It's a tragic case and very infuriating. It would be lovely to say we have moved on and it doesn't happen anyone but I think it's even more prevalent and common now.

Did I hear wrong or did it say the son had been charged with other sexual offences since?

No I don’t think it said that about the son unless I missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

They said his identity couldn't be released, so that when sex attacks happened later on, no one could check if the son was involved.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was listening to here at one point. What ever about meeting her daughter's crush's father, when the mother saw the presents were sexy outfits she should have cut it off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

This case infuriated the hell out of me. My daughter is 14 and my heart broke for Carly. Her innocence and naivety , the poor pet. The mother let her down. She was 20 when she was born, an adult. In 2006/2007, we were all almost paranoid about the internet, it's a way of life now.

Even "dating" an 18 year old is a red flag. Inviting a man she never met to stay in their home wtf?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Quite a gruesome episode this week.

I heard a little about this case before, but didn't realise these guys are as ****ed up as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

The Princess Bride was on TV last night, I just had to watch it after the silk road episode ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Quite a gruesome episode this week.

I heard a little about this case before, but didn't realise these guys are as ****ed up as that.

Scary stuff alright and to think it only happened in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Latest one is grim. Had to forward most of it. Too difficult to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Latest one is grim. Had to forward most of it. Too difficult to listen to.

He spared us a lot of the detail. Made the mistake of looking up the pair on wikipedia afterwards and I'm not right since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember watching the video, 3 guys 1 hammer. It's out there if you google it. I couldn't watch it, skipped into it and saw nasty stuff and noped out of there.
    I didn't think they killed so many people in such a short period. Wonder how far they'd go if they had never been stopped? The parents have a lot to answer for, still insisting the videos are fake

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I remember those videos, fascinating to listen to the context behind them.

Another one should be out today. Can’t wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

The new one is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Amazing one this week. Gripping from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Still on catchup and just finished the silk road trio,
    the sentence handed out was pretty severe, defo did not see that coming.
    A well told story as always.

Advertisement